It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU/UN considers troops for Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   

EU/UN considers troops for Gaza

english.aljazeera.net

The United Nations may send an international force to restore calm to the Gaza Strip wracked by deadly factional fighting.

"This is an idea we need to explore," Ban Ki-moon, the UN secretary-general, said on Wednesday, adding that he had held preliminary discussions about the idea with members of the UN Security Council.

Ban said Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian president, had raised the idea with him in a phone conversation on Tuesday and noted that Ehud Olmert, Israel's prime minister, had also brought it up.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-6-2007 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Due to the outbreak of violence in Gaze by rival factions, both EU and UN will considering sending peace keepers to restore order. In the past, Israel has rejected it but the Israeli's are now considering giving support.

Israel will only back a force with a strong mandate and "sufficient firepower". But it will be hard to see what nations would make up this force. It unlikely Britain or Germany will send troops because of historic links and US troops would inflame the area.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-6-2007 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Perhaps we could send Chinese forces, I have not heard of any of their peacekeepers going anywhere for awhile? Maybe it is time they take up the call of duty and do what is right? Other Asian nations too? Japan, China, South Korea?

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Perhaps we could send Chinese forces, I have not heard of any of their peacekeepers going anywhere for awhile? Maybe it is time they take up the call of duty and do what is right? Other Asian nations too? Japan, China, South Korea?

I think you are correct.

It's likely to be made up of Asian, European and non-Islamic African nations.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
According to what I've been hearing on FOX, Hamas has pretty much gained total control over Gaza today.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm not wanting to sound so shallow about this, but other than territory, what would either side gain from this? Any relics or monuments from the past have probably been blasted into pebbles years ago. Or do they simply fight because that's "the way it is" in the region? After generations of fighting in the Middle East, there is no winner. It seems like the only thing that has been accomplished in the last 50 years, is a further division of people in the region.
It just seems senseless to fight over dirt. Literally dirt and rocks, no lush paradise. Have the people of the region become so acclimated (sic?) to the violence that it is a "normal" life to them? Even if someone "wins", it doesn't appear that the situation will ever stabilize. If things calm, it will only be a matter of time before someone starts lobbing shells over to the other side. Cease-fire talks are obviously no help. Basically I guess what I'm trying to say is...why bother?

Sending more troops is not going to make these people live peacefully amongst members of other factions / religions / nationalities. It seems like the entire area is built on intolerance and ignorance towards others.

[edit on 6/14/2007 by venom79x]

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Current EU-RDF unit is composed of German/Finnish/Dutch troops, it would have firepower for the job, but as someone said political reasons may stop it.

Only other unit on ready response and strong enough is the French 2nd Rep.

Any news on someone offering troops?

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Hamas has pretty much gained total control over Gaza today.

This really puts a smile on my face. How does a Israel who are armed to the teeth, loose control of land to bare foot stone throwing kids ?....Maybe Hamas attack on the Sabbath

[edit on 14-6-2007 by helium3]

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Israel does not occupy the Gaza Strip as of September 2005

The Gaza strip is controlled in varying ways by Israel and the Palestinian Authority. There have been no Israeli settlements or military bases in the Gaza strip since September 2005. The Palestinian Authority controls the strip and also operates the Strip's international Rafah Border Crossing into Egypt under EU BAM Rafah supervision. Israel controls only Erez and Karni crossing in the Israeli Gaza Strip barrier.

However they still maintain control of the airsace and maritime border. I just would hope not to see any Pakistani peacekeepers there, as punishment for their peacekeepers' misbehavior. I say if we going to send Asian Peacekeepers, they should be some from the Asia Pacific Muslim nations. A wonderul exchange and sharing of cultural diversity with much in common to associate with.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
couldnt this spark the middle east war? I mean hamas arent they backed by Underground syrian an iranian factions? or am I gettin my factions and allies confused?

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
That willn't spark no mideast war, unless whoever is declaring war is declaring war on the World. The Peacekeepers are not representing their member-nations, they are representing the UN, the world. The way a representative represents their people.

Frankly, I honestly blieve Syria and Iran would actually support peacekeepers in Gaza. Relatively speaking, it is quite small, and would be well maintained with I say a 20,000-30,000 strong force. This would give them the ability to secure all key infrastructure points from terrorist attacks or Foreign Intelligence Sabotage. Infrastructure would include the following:

Schools, libraries, food processing, utilities, telecommunications, air and maritime ports, as well as rail centers and fuel depots.

Every single one of those in the Gaza strip could be rebuilt, repaired, and re-staffed, then placed back on operation and secured with less than 30,000 strong force IMO. Three years and probably 30-50 billlion dolLars in aid and private investment from across the globe could turn Gaza strip inside out into a beautiful new habitat. Peaceful, developed, and secure. Why you say? The majority of the 1.4 million population are just civilians who would like to live in peace. With 25,000 peacekeepers, it will not be easy for short-sighter people to just attack them and escape. Even a massive campaign will pit light arms against heavy tech protecting the infrasturcture. That is all they have to do. sit there and protect the infrastructure. The assholes will come to them and get themselves picked off until the citizens realize they are actually only here to help rebuild, not destroy.

WHY THE # HAS THERE NOT BEEN A PEACEKEEPING FORCE IN GAZA STRIP, BUT WE HAVE THEM ALL OVER THE CONTINENT OF AFRICA?!

[edit on 6/15/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 04:21 AM
link   
DYepes
I wholeheartedly agree with you about the peacekeeping force and its duties.
The only question/problem is that they need to be given a very lean ROE, so that they can effectively engage and eliminate any Hamas/Fatah/Al-Aqsa threats on site. Basically giving the troops an authorisation to shoot to kill when they see an armed man that's not one of them. And they need start collecting the guns from the fighters and compensate those guns with either money or food.

But this is ofcourse is a long shot, since the first major hurdle is to gather the troops.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by helium3

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Hamas has pretty much gained total control over Gaza today.

This really puts a smile on my face. How does a Israel who are armed to the teeth, loose control of land to bare foot stone throwing kids ?....Maybe Hamas attack on the Sabbath

[edit on 14-6-2007 by helium3]
Well, seeing as Israel is extremely disliked. It is not hard to presume that Hamas may have had outside help?

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 04:30 AM
link   
As posted above,
ISRAEL DOES NOT OCCUPY GAZA. This is since Sep. of 2005.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Hmm EU/UN troops in Gaza. Sounds like a good idea to me. That way the Israelis will think twice about their strategy of collective punishment for Palestinians if there is international troops there. This will have a restraining effect on the Israelis even if they're sent in ostensibly to quell factional fighting between Hamas and Fatah.

It's something that I would like to see but I can see last minute objections by the Israelis.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Considering the history of Finnish peacekeepers and Isrealis I wouldn't jump at the change of sending troops there. And when it comes to engaging hostiles I'd rather see very strickt ROE's, I'd like to see unarmed UN troops there but that's not gonna happen. If the peacekeepers go in there and start shooting at hostiles then they'll be seen only as an invading force, in the past they've ignored the fact that the locals are armed and done well, they have been seen as a peacefull force. We cannot send troops where they are perceived as hostile or even dangerous. IMO

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Hmm EU/UN troops in Gaza. Sounds like a good idea to me. That way the Israelis will think twice about their strategy of collective punishment for Palestinians if there is international troops there. This will have a restraining effect on the Israelis even if they're sent in ostensibly to quell factional fighting between Hamas and Fatah.

It's something that I would like to see but I can see last minute objections by the Israelis.

That is a nice dream, not a realistic one.

Great, you can put armed UN troops in the strip-but like Lebanon, will they sit there with their collective heads up their rear ends as terrorist launch rockets and missiles at Israel right next to them.

HOWEVER........................................

When Israel responds to the constant acts of war, the UN troops will protect the poor defenseless terrorist, sounds like a sweet deal for the terrorists.

BTW, this "civil war"-what’s so civil about it- MIGHT- result in the WEST and maybe a few ME countries backing the Fattah movement-as they are the closest thing to a non-terrorist group they have.

They have several times talked of making realistic peace plans with Israel.
This could allow Fattah to be backed with men/money and equipment against the Hamas

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
That is a nice dream, not a realistic one.

[...]

When Israel responds to the constant acts of war, the UN troops will protect the poor defenseless terrorist, sounds like a sweet deal for the terrorists.

I spoke of the Israeli collective punishment of Palestinians. That is the bombing of water pumping stations and power plants by Israeli forces which then cuts of power and water to ALL Palestinians and ends up killing Palestinian children due to power cuts at hospitals and no fresh water.

Israel has a right to defend itself against terrorists but I disagree that collective punishment of civilians is the moral, hell even realistic, way to go about it.

join