It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Course in Miracles - A CIA Manipulation Device?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
A COURSE IN MIRACLES - A CIA MANIPULATION DEVICE?
www.hometown.aol.com...

from Tal Levesque's Research Services: June 11, 2007

(QUOTE)

‘Creating a mythos’ to control people.

Program of psychological warfare (PSYOP) or ‘Mind War’.

* Using FALSE information to manipulate and control people.

A Course in Miracles (also referred to as ACIM or "the Course"),[originally published in 1975] is a book considered by its students to be their "spiritual path".

According to Dr. Helen Schucman and the Foundation for Inner Peace (FIP), Dr. Helen Schucman and

Dr. William Thetford "scribed" the book by means of a process coming from a divine source through a form of channeling which Schucman referred to as "inner dictation". Schucman described the divine source of her channeling as none other than the person of Jesus Christ.

Well.... Dr. William Thetford, headed the CIA's "Mind Control" MK-ULTRA SubProject 130: Personality Theory, while at Columbia University between 1971-1978.

Dr. Thetford’s Professional Bio, also available on the A Course in Miracles web site, makes reference to his involvement in a Personality Theory Research Project while Professor of Medical Psychology at Columbia University, but the information does not specifically cite this as a CIA MK- ULTRA SubProject.

ce399.typepad.com...

There is a connection between Unity Church, "A Course In Miracles", MK-ULTRA Artichoke Subproject 130 ; Scientology ; the UFO Myth and the Stanford Research Institute.

"A Course in Miracles" was a CIA manipulation device.

It was an experiment orchestrated by the CIA/US government.

Many were DAMAGED by it.

It was implemented Bill Thetford (an agent of the CIA) at Columbia University.

Search for info on Thetford and MKUltra (the government's well-documented mind-control program) to find more.

The agenda, according to those interested in this sphere of investigation, is to inflitrate and dilute the American left with New Age ideas and inward-focussed, anti-rational religious movements.

The Making of 'A Course in Miracles'

Excerpt from : www.beliefnet.com...

William Thetford, also a Columbia professor, was a mysterious character, and "probably the most sinister person I ever met," the priest recalled. Only after he retired from teaching did Thetford's Columbia colleagues (who knew him best as a rare-books expert) discover that all during the years they worked with him, the man had been employed as an agent of the CIA--one who was, among other things, present at the first fission experiment conducted by physicists assigned to the Manhattan Project. Thetford also was "the most religious atheist I have ever known," Groeschel recalled, and conceived a great enthusiasm for A Course in Miracles, personally arranging for its publication. Schucman was embarrassed, Groeschel remembered, and confided to the priest her fear that the book would create a cult, which of course it did.

Groeschel initially read the Course as "religious poetry," but grew steadily more negative in his assessment of it as the years passed and sales of the three volumes passed into the millions of copies. From his point of view, A Course in Miracles served to undermine authentic Christianity more effectively than just about any other work he could recall, and while he was inclined to reject the position of St. John of the Cross that "these things are diabolical unless proven otherwise," doubts had crept in over the years. Most troubling to him by far was the "black hole of rage and depression that Schucman fell into during the last two years of her life," the priest explained. She had become frightening to be with, Groeschel recalled, spewing psychotic hatred not only for A Course in Miracles but "for all things spiritual." When he sat at Schucman's bedside as she lay dying, "she cursed, in the coarsest barroom language you could imagine, `that book, that goddamn book.' She said it was the worst thing that ever happened to her. I mean, she raised the hair on the back of my neck. It was truly terrible to witness."

(END OF QUOTE)

www.myspace.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I came across that book years ago... ha ha so it was the Unity Church was it ?

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I own a library of spiritual books but I always intuitively strayed away from THAT book. Happy to found out my intuition might have been right. VERY interesting post.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Before reading up too heavily on the sources provided, I'd like to state that while much of the MKULTRA project was an utter failure and deterimental to the minds of many, much was also learned.

If the mythos is healthy and helps create a happier, productive, and self resiliant individual with postive community involement - I see no harm in it, myself.

Thanks for the links - I'll check back in when I am more informed on the information presented within for deconstruction and evalutation.

Great thread!

[edit on 1-9-2007 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I study many religions and spiritual scriptures, and ACIM is nothing more than a TAOIST perspective incorporating Jesus.

Ive read a course in miracles extensively, and If you are going to call it a CIA OP, then so is Taoism Hinduism Jainism and Buddhism.

If anything its a very blunt psychological approach at understanding the nature of how your mind works, or what Jesus was teaching.

Dont knock it till you try it right?

It is nothing like Scientology.

And the only DAMAGE the course in miracles produces is the fundamentalist christians idea of what Jesus was teaching. Which is biased anyways. Not saying its wrong, just that I think if you spoke Hebrew or Aramaic the bible would not contradict ACIM, thus causing no damage.

The only other damage ACIM could cause is the same damage caused by a student who falters in their determination to stay on the middle path.

its all about perception, alter your perception, change your reality.

www.miraclesnetwork.org...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
This thread is a victim of disinformation if it is not itself disinformation IMHO.

The truth is that the universe we see around us is manifest from potentials, by our observation. This is Quantum mechanics.

The character of reality is defined by the consensus of those participating in it, their proximity to an event, and the sum of their belief or disbelief.
This is metaphysics.

Convince enough people to believe, and that belief will become the reality.
Not to agree, but to truly believe.

This has far more potential as a weapon than any "Mind Control" experiment. But you do see how this could be an off shoot of large scale mind control.

Suppose you run large scale Psy Ops successfully and come to realize that what you were inducing as false belief systems manifestd repeatedly as realitys?

There would be denial and accusations of poor control, where you stupidly tried to implant false beliefs, which were actually truths. You would even doubt your own competence at first. You would have "How could I have overlooked that" moments.

Someone sufficiently objective might walk away from the failed experiments in mind control, with something even better. Something they need to develop further without being found out by the original masters.
They might hide the experiments as religion which already uses the methods, just not in a formal scientific way.

[edit on 5-5-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Helen Schucman died in a state of PSYCHOTIC DEPRESSION, whilst her book states that pain does not exist.

The statement "pain does not exist" is absurd. For one it is a self presumed self evident statement, If pain does not exist then it would be self evident. If pain did really not exist then no one would bother going around saying it because everyone would all ready know. The very fact that they are saying "pain does not exist" proves that doubt is present, because if pain did really not exist it would be obvious.

I bought this book looking for spiritual understanding. Before I read any of it I researched the authors and found the exact same info the original OP found. I decided to sell the book on the same auction site I bought it on. I wrote a disclaimer on the auction about Nuclear bombs, mind control, psychotic depression and the like. I honestly hoped no one would buy it. I bought the book for NZ$30 and sold it for NZ$50!!!

End of the day I can thank the book for a $20 profit and an insight into the idiocy of many people/sheeple who consider themselves spiritual.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by StopComplaining]

[edit on 2-9-2008 by StopComplaining]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Here is a response to this info I got on a ACIM forum from a respected ACIM follower

Interesting stuff, friend.

I see no need to investigate your claims, as I already knew the facts about Thetford's past. Your conclusions about Helen's and Bill's relationship however, are not facts. They're just your opinion. And you are free to surmise and assume all you want.

I'm curious. What are your own impressions of the Course itself. Does it resonate as a message of True Love for you? Have you read it?

I never met Thetford or Schucman in person. I do, however, think the Course is extremely relevant for me personally. If Hitler himself had scribed the Course, it wouldn't make an ounce of difference as to whether I believed the material or not, I believe it because it feels right for me.

Anyway, Ingram, as I said before, I'm curious. What's your point here? What exactly is the point you're trying to make. Are you saying the Course is irrelevant? If so, is it irrelevant for everyone, or just some of us? And if it's irrelevant for everyone, are you saying I'm foolish, or just plain wrong?

I'm extremely interested in your response. I truly want to understand where your coming from, brother. I just don't see a relevant point in your post. Can you help me see?

Peace is within you always, whether you're consciously aware of it, or not!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Here is a response to my thread entitled W"hat do Psychotic Depression, Nuclear Bombs and CIA Mind Control have in common?", on an ACIM forum.

"All of these are part of illusion the nightmare, Each I believe are wakeup calls, wake up to Spirit, wake up to Truth. Think of the insanity it takes to even come up with the idea of mass distruction, it obviously is a cry for help a certainty that the worldly way is off course and of natural effect depression follows and then ego attempts to fix the unfixable.. I just go back to ...I am not a body Iam free for I am still as God Created me,
What a relief... what a blessing to know in the present there is ACIM showing a better way. The Course makes perfect sence if you take the time to read it. Fear of Love is a block...May you be guided to the Truth...May you remember.
Dancing Stars"

My response was "No your wrong, the answer is ACIM as described above."

If you fancy a bit of cult busting, Join the thread below and perhaps provide some relavent links to mind control info.

iamacim.ning.com...

I don't know why I torture myself communicating with these morons, I guess it's the thought that I could have ended up as one of them (having bought the book myself once). Or just a sense of responsibility from knowing a thing or two about mind control etc. End of the day I it's mostly pity/compassion.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by StopComplaining]

[edit on 5-9-2008 by StopComplaining]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I treasure an sweat shirt now thread bare from a course in miracles, it reads on the front along with a big red heart:

TEACH ONLY LOVE FOR THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE

There is good and bad light and dark in all things.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I got kicked off the above mentioned ACIM forum for being "Unpeaceful"

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by psychedeliack

As much as i think it probable that Thetford was part of a CIA mind project experiments, i can only tell you how it has been for my experience and my thoughts on it. None of us really know what the truth is about this, other than the beliefs we have created in our own minds to be, and perhaps taking the word of any information presented to us from whatever source of which nothing is really certain.

I have seen a number this pattern with several people who were doing the course, as having a sort of seeming "signature" of being unsettled, which i had a sense as being from The Course (ACIM). on that basis, i would not agree on the "only other damage" mentioned by Psychedeliack.

I have studied Hypnosis, and recognize the technique in ACIM as hypnotism techniques that create antagonism within the person. That is part of the reprogramming of the subconscious mind. Just go and read the first few lessons, and it would become obvious that the lessons are affirming opposite or conflicting beliefs. No wonder those poor souls were having mental stress attacks. No wonder i felt the discombobulated mental energy from the book. (I have felt energy from people and objects in the world for a long time) Luckily for me, i paused, and got only "pieces out of it from my intuition", rather than having it messing up my mind from it in ways that may not be apparent. Sure you can have some peacefull experiences of it, but i did better without it. A small number of people do end up living (seemingly) peacefull and happy out of it overall, but it seems to have left a greater trail. And what do we know, of the long term effects of it, if it actually was an CIA project/ experiment?
I still have my copy of ACIM, which i may look at for studying an area that comes naturally to me, and what appears evident to me as a system of mind infiltration by other humans than from a man who lived 2000 years ago. If you want to know, i am not into the bible; i have read other channelings of Jesus by several other people as well, but have an unconventional way of understanding or looking at these things, and adhere to none presented to me as yet. Except i did relate to a small number out of 2 of the many, that were what was needed in my time of unfolding into awareness about these sorts of matters.
Otherwise, that book would have been dumped in the rubbish bin a long time ago.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Ok, well let me explain my thougts on Miracles.. There was a book by CS Lewis that I considered to pretty good. and that is what I based my thought on. Not anything to do with the CIA.. CS Lewis is a pretty good author.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Well, Im sure there are plenty of people who get the same adverse reaction from reading the bible, the tao te ching, etc... Why single out just ACIM? Of course it sounds conflicting, its supposed to. Does not the master confuse his students on purpose? ACIM does this in the same manner, yet, no one is forcing anyone to read the book, so Im sure if it doesnt work out for someone, they can easily put it down.
I see why so many people think its mind control, because it forces you into battles within your psyche that ultimately lead to your liberation, just as with eastern approaches to deeper states of understanding. Just like many paths to enlightenment, it is not for everyone.
I find it the complete opposite of brainwashing, for me its like a form of un-brainwashing. It has been great reading, and is almost completely parallel with many eastern philosophies. When one of my Christian friends comes to me talking about the depths of this reality, I turn them on to the course and it never fails. Its just a tool set to show you how to be in complete control of your mind, to understand deeper how the mind tricks the observer, as well as correlate the scientific validation of these facts that all that we experience is a product of our own self created illusion we can make into whatever we so please and still operate optimally within other peoples realities.

Its a specialized course, it akin to taking up studying under a yogi for some years. Most people are just looking for some spiritual reading or a different angle, (lots of egotistical new age people, and boy will the course mess them up, or liberate them ,depending on how honest and open minded they can be with themselves) ACIM is a deep course, and will take you to the center if you can let yourself go that far, some people just hang on to "things" and "egos" too much, and they feel like the course is attacking them. So yea, it can easily be considered brainwashing for someone not seeking the depths of absolute ego stripping and semi enlightenment. (I say semi enlightenment because the course does not focus that much on meditation)
I admit, there probably are quite a few who pick it up, and dont get it, but pretend, and end up giving themselves problems, this is not the course's fault; it is the readers, for not leaving it alone when they saw a problem they did not want to have or face. The course says you might leave it, and you may never come back, thats fine. So where is the brainwashing?

For most, yes the course seems crazy, yet only as crazy as it would seem for anyone looking for jesus and finding Lao Tzu. (that is unless they take a gnostic approach)

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Well I personally have read over 150 different kinds of books in the last 3 years.
Ranging in topics from main stream science, psuedo-science, physics, quantum physics and mechanics, metaphysics, new-age, self help, esoteric, exoteric, ancient history, modern history, exopolitics, numerous conspiracies of terrestrial and non-terrestrial nature, esp psi abilties, remote viewing and precog, astrologyies of different cultures,
But the one book that stuck out to me out of all the 150 books that I read was indeed ACIM and the unofficial understanding guide to it which is Gary R Renards book; The Disappearance of the Universe.
I must say despite the OP I have sincere doubts about the info on the book stating that ACIM is a CIA Psi-ops propaganda tool etc.
I have read this book 3 times from front page to back 1168pages and all I can say is that it is the most influencial self help books that I have ever read and if one book can make someone stop and think consciously about their actions in day to day life. Then I think it is all good. Because if anyone has properly read this book then they would know it is not about being a automaton and instead on the contrary it gets one to think on a more deeper conscious level on what and how one thinks.
All I can say is that I doubt the CIA would want people to do any more thinking because on the contrary they would like you be a happy consumer in front of your Plasma TVwatching re-runs after re-runs of soaps and drama and eating McDonalds for Breakfast, lunch and Tea all the while being fearful of yourself and your neighbour next door.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The problem with this alleged agenda is that the left wing is definitely not thought to be Christian oriented to begin with. It is the right wing that is characterized as having fundamentalist Biblical convictions.

So if the purpose of ACIM was to discredit conventional Christianity, its target should have been the right wing, not the left.

Of course the real problem is that whether the target group was left or right wing, a book of the length and difficulty of ACIM is certainly a strange way of infiltration. In these days of short attention spans and instant gratification, the number of people who are going to sit down and read this entire ponderous tome is bound to be relatively small.

In short, I don't see a political agenda at work here. Instead, it seems to me that the real purpose of the book is to discredit the teachings of Jesus and to remove personal accountability from our belief system, whether we are Democrat, Republican, or Independent.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I am wondering if the OP'er; Norio Hayakawa has actually read the whole book of ACIM?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

There are some very valid teachings within ACIM, but out of my experience and findings, i think there are deeper things on an overall basis may not be right. I would like to add, that i did have several profound and deep experiences during ACIM teachings, but also before i came across ACIM, and after i decided it wasn't for me.

I do agree with your mention of there being many paths. It is an individual matter. There can be Truth, even in the untruth, if you ask for it. That has been my experience.

My experience that timed with ACIM, points to the mentioned "anti-rational" in the post that started this thread. ("infiltrate and dilute the American left with New Age ideas and inward-focused, anti-rational religious movements")

Although i have never been much left to begin with, I became extremely right brained, anti logic and anti left brain. Reading more than a few pages was very difficult. Thankfully i have since returned to balance. Before ACIM period, there was no problem reading a book sequentially. Rationality and sequential reading are left brain functions. If you go to Wikipedia and search " Left brain", you will find what each hemisphere of the brain does.
The right hemisphere of the brain's functions are; Holistic, intuitive, future and now, and other things.
The Left brain is analytical, logical, verbal, about the past and present. As i have come to understand it, the left brain works with parts. Its reality is separation in other words.
Essentially, the qualities of the Ego, are left brain in nature.

ACIM uses what i see as Hypnosis (and possibly NLP) techniques to set up the battle with the ego (which is essentially left brain in nature). Perhaps you see that as part of healing into wholeness. Fighting the illusion validates the unreal and keeps the illusion there for as long as one is fighting. I think ACIM may be creating polarization towards right brain, and hatred of the other half being the left brain, which ACIM constantly refers to, and constantly infers that the ego is negative and attacking. As i learned in Hypnosis study, that Inference is a way that nearly half the population receive input into the mind when it is open to doing so). If you were to completely cut off your left brain, you would not even be able to read the characters on the screen or make sense of anything in this post.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I have read the Course In Miracles book and I can only describe it as "life-changing".
I have gotten so much peace in my life since I started applying the principles of the
Course to my daily life. It teaches us that our Egos are the self-created and limited
version of ourselves, while our spirits are the God-created side. We must learn
to differentiate between the two. At all times in every situation, we are asked to
ask the Holy Spirit for advice. The Holy Spirit represents Divine Intelligence and
Will.

Asking for advice from God is utterly repellant to the Ego, which wants to decide all
things. That is why the Course is so threatening to so many people. In the Course
we are asked to put God first in all things. What is so wrong about that? It is the
way God intended for us to live. God did not intend for us to kill each other and
live in fear. He created a Paradise for us and we are blowing the wonderful
opportunity to live in Peace at all times.

Helen Schucman was the scribe of the Course, and she was an avowed Atheist.
At no time did she absolutely believe what the Course said. She had only agreed,
somehow or somewhere, to take on the task of recieving the messages that
"the voice" gave her. She and Bill Thetford edited them together. The fact
that Helen was depressed at the end of her life had nothing to do with the Course
in Miracles. The fact that she was not able to attain Peace does not in any way
lessen the value of the Course.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join