It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The media blackout in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I read this article about the complete blackout of stories in the American mainstream media. Cheneys possible links to Washington Madam, pre teens imprisoned in Guantanomo bay, the call for impeachment. And according to this article these are not being reported, i am from the Uk so i would not know if this is completly true or not, but from what i've seen of American news i would not be surprised. Now i'm not trying to say the British press is perfect but you are allowed to ask questions and criticise your leaders over here. What is going on in your country??! You seem to be being completly manipulated and mistreated, do the majority of you realise?? I am worried you are going to lose your freedom to these people, that's what your country stands for isn't it? Freedom?

www.counterpunch.org...

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
While it is true a lot of news that is important is never reported on by the mainstream media,
it's not really that it's being kept from us, as much as it is not something that the media
deem to be what the people want to see, for instance Paris Hilton has been smattered
across the news the last few days, yet no mention of the ISS being open to other government
agencies and to the private sector, now I personally think the ISS thing is far more important
than Paris Hilton's fake tears, but most people don't think the same way, so the news reports
what they think is of interest to the people.

Now, of course there are other times when news is reported that is not exactly going to
get everyones interests, but is none the less important and does get reported on.

As to the items you mentioned, the impeachment process has been pretty well known,
in fact I've seen it featured on CNN more than a few times, mostly when it was being
proposed and such.

As for Cheney and the D.C. Madam, I've not heard about a link between them,
but she and her privacy breaking (IMO she should be fined and if she releases any/more
client info put in jail for breaking privacy laws) idiocentrism have been in the news as well.

As for questioning and criticizing our leaders, well I'd say we do that quite a lot really,
not just on a normal person by person basis, but many people who have varying levels of
influence do it as well.

[edit on 6/12/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Visited Denmark last year and even though I couldn't understand the Danish television I could understand that they were talking about Aphganistan and how we weren't in control of much outside of the capital. I asked a guy from the netherlands what was going on on the television. He acted like it was old news and wasn't really concerned with it. In his words, "you have to understand that really doesn't concern us." He also said he had recently visited Turkey for vacation and wasn't at all concerned about terrorism while there. Well still haven't heard much about Aphganistan. Never heard anything about pre-teens in gitmo or any else such information. So I agree with you about the black out. Any what is this about Cheney and a madam?

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I've found links to all those stories on mainstream sites. They weren't the major story of the day, but there were on there.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by arius
Visited Denmark last year and even though I couldn't understand the Danish television I could understand that they were talking about Aphganistan and how we weren't in control of much outside of the capital.

Are you sure it was'nt Iraq?

Because that's basically how it is in Iraq, and as much as people like McCain would like
people to believe otherwise, that's how I've seen the news report it, that we really only
control the capital, and even than not all of it.

Afghanistan has transitioned over to its own government, so we are'nt really controlling as
much as we are helping the Afghani's get everything together and fight the Taliban and Al Queda
when they resurface, which has in recent months started happening more.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Ok so it seems there is not a blackout, but would you all agree there is at least manipulation of stories and information. The constant terror alerts, Buzz Aldrin basically being cut off the other day when he started talking about UFOS. I didn't know if there was pre teens in Guantanomo bay till i red that article, it's like the news is there but it isn't given priority enough to concern your average viewer. This is a question for you. would you say the average American, not people like us who are genuinely intrested and concerner, are actually aware of the impeachment calls, The real situation in Iraq and Afghanistan, the complete hypocrisy concerning the Iran situation, the abuse of power by their leaders?? and do they care?

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Actually I do feel there is an effort to keep Americans from knowing many stories. I also sometimes feel as if the news should just be called tabloid tv, seriously it is getting to where in one hour we get five minutes of real news, and the rest is sports and hollywood star stories.

Most of the time they tell you a small amount of info on a story, and if you want to know more you got to go and do research on your own. Most people do not have time to do that. Some stories are old news everywheres else, take the downing street memo, it had been in the news in Europe for six weeks before we heard anything of it here in the states.

Whether you believe it or not, is not important, the fact that a document equivalent to a white house memo is being reported to state that the intelligence that took us to war was fixed, is important and should be reported. But, the document was all over the internet and in the press in Europe for weeks before our press reports it; that is a significant indication that our press is manipulated to fit someone's agenda.

Then there are the documented cases of journalists being paid by the gov. to promote certain stories, can someone say propaganda?

[edit on 13-6-2007 by goose]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Good point Goose because if our intelligence was fixed and proded and manipualted to look as if Sadame was a threat it stands to reason so was the U.S's. Your problem is that your mainstream press is not seperate from your government. In the Uk sure the BBC doesn't openly criticse the government but it also won't ignore an important story or play it down if it is potentially damaging for the government. The you have channel 4 news which is openly critical all the time of the wars launched in our name. Your medias posistion remind me of something George w Bush said 'Your either with us or you with the terroists' a complete fallcy but something the American media seems to have taken on board.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Exactly, plus most people just don't want to see the truth, they hear a tiny snippet on something and never look any further to see if there is more to it. They want to believe that the press is out there gathering the truth. Most people will believe that the gov. will withold the truth on UFO's but can't or won't see that they constantly lie to us through the use of media to manipulate us on everything.

And it is just not what they say, but how they say it. Take the issue of UFO's, they may report it, but the whole time their sneering and making fun of the person who is saw it. This makes sure that no one listening will be brave enough to report it if they see a UFO, and also reinforces the idea that most people who reports UFO's are nuts.

All of our major mainstream media outlets that reports the news is owned by corporations, corporations that not only own the tv stations, but also own companies standing to make a lot of money off of the war. So those are the people who we get our news from, any farmer will tell you he is not likely to let a fox guard the chicken house, but we in America trust the people making the money to give us our news on the war. We are also not likely to hear any bad press about corporations and what they are doing here or in any other country.

So is any wonder that many things go under reported or unreported. But God help us all we all know about Paris Hilton going to jail, we know what she is wearing in jail, what she wore to jail, what she said and who she said it too. We have tabloid tv for news.

[edit on 13-6-2007 by goose]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Right now we're concentrated on Paris Hilton. Al Sharpton and Hillary's big ankles.

Of course they are not reporting the "real news", they havent been for awhile now.
Then there's Fox, fair and balanced. ( if you happen to be a rabid Repubican)

Nothing of any importance is reported anymore, unless it has to do with a boogeyman every other day.

Its not what you'd call Journalism or reporting excellence in any way shape or form.

Soon we will see all stations taken over by the government (in an obvious way) and we will all stand and salute our grand poopah Potus when he gives us the early morning dose of propaganda.

Also, Bush images will be seen all over the United States. Not to mention statues.

I cant wait.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
It should be relatively known now that corporations own the media and a majority of the government. I mean, just look at the candidates running for president, look at the way media "excludes" important stories for petty ones, look at how corporations can get away clean even with extraordinary claims against them, look at the rare news reporting of how many Iraqis have died, how many are exiled...the list goes on.

Even past U.S. presidents have warned us about the threat of large corporate entities gaining too much control.

top topics

join