It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Hires Legal Team

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Bush Hires Legal Team

www.realcities.com

WASHINGTON - President Bush is signing up legal help as he girds for battle with the Democratic-led Congress.

Faced with a flurry of document requests and expanding congressional investigations, the White House announced Friday that Bush had hired nine lawyers, including five who'll fill new jobs in the president's legal office. The recruits have solid experience in white-collar crime, government investigations and constitutional law.

Legal experts said the hires indicated that Bush was gearing up to fight congressional inquiries that he considered an encroachment on presidential power.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.commondreams.org

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Now I am no legal scholar... so correct me if I am wrong... you hire a legal team to defend you against any allegation of wrong doing. The White House already has an extensive legal team, so why isn't Bush using them? Also if he is so confident he is right why hire a defense team in the first place? Sounds more like he's been caught with his hand in the proverbial cookie jar and is going to try and wiggle out of it.

www.realcities.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-6-2007 by grover]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
grover, maybe he's afraid the legal team he has now won't remain loyal after what he let Roberto G. do. He may be afraid of payback.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Actually you have added to the story. It is not that you are wrong, just that you are attempting to 'form' the story to fit your agenda...

If you read your own "ex" post, no where does is say it is a "defense" team. it also does not say that he hired him to "defend" against anything....

Those were your words and not in the portion of the story your yourself posted..

I have an attorney on retainer for the construction of my new home... Being a capitalistic pig, I have managed to build a nice new one. Now I do not have those attorneys to defend me from anything, I have them simply to check on my paperwork and to ensure my rights are not violated by other attorneys, not working for me, that do not have my best interests at heart.

As much as those of you that hate him may like it, it makes no sense for him to use the democratic party attorneys for the same reason he should not use you... He should hire his own and ensure that amid all the slander and "rewording" of articles, his rights are protected.

Basically he needs them for the very reasons illustrated by the rewording here.

Semper

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
What makes you think the White House legal team are Democratic lawyers?

BTW I have only hired a lawyer once and that was to transfer a title. So generally speaking as far as I have always been concerned you hire a lawyer to defend you against something or to go after something and my comment reflects that life experinice, not as you say to pursue an agenda... it is just how I see the thing.

[edit on 11-6-2007 by grover]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Of course Grover....

And I see it in a different way...

I see it as "Hiring a Legal Team.:

Nothing more, nothing less, simply and succinctly what is in the article...

I also have no intention of "inserting" my agenda either...

Semper

ps, the White House Legal Team being Democrats was an attempt a comedic analogy. One that apparently failed.. LOL

S

[edit on 6/11/2007 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I have noticed you conservatives have a problem with words and meanings.... its almost as if you have never figured out what the meaning of is is.

Just because I despise bushes politics and the policies that stem from them does not mean defacto that I hate bush minor... I don't. In fact I don't care enough for him one way or the other to hate him... you conservatives on the other hand could not make the disconnect between Clinton and his policies... I have personally never loathed anyone and I do mean anyone as much as you guys loathed Clinton... it was almost as if you guys had loved him before it turned to hate. He spurned you.

I personally feel bush minor has committed far more in the way of serious crimes than lying about a BJ (if you were married to Hillary wouldn't you lie?
hell I know I would) but to hire a legal team outside of the official one at the White House at the very least suggests legal problems looming.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The team of atternys that he hired (he always had several attornies, it is most likely that he is switching them up, he likes to do this..) is a personal team specifically for himself, not the entire administration from what I gather.. a personal team of lawyers..

There are many, countless reasons why someone in that position would hire a team, and you are blatantly assuming its because hes about to be indicted with some crime. Hes not.

If he where to have an impeachment brought against him, it would not be a private team of lawyers that would defend him.. it would be the entire executive branch, including the attorney general.

Personally I see an agenda in the post.....

"You conservatives" ....

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
you hire a legal team to defend you against any allegation of wrong doing.

... or to get a high profile divorce.
... or to make big business deals.
... or to sue someone else.
... or to make personal legal transations.
... or to investigate future business dealings.
... or to investigate legal situations of foes.
... or, as POTUS, to investigate the different legalities of different things I would want to try to get done??

... or to __________ (fill in the blank)

There are many reasons to hire a legal team. Oh "you liberals"

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
What can I say I have never been one to encourage the care and feeding of lawyers... I hear that they have begun replacing lab rats... they are plentiful, easy to train and the lab techs don't become attached to them.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   

you conservatives on the other hand could not make the disconnect between Clinton and his policies..

I looked and looked and looked, and what to my wandering eyes did appear???

YOU are the ONLY one to even mention Clinton in this thread...

Now that is fascinating and a study all on it's own...

Grover, you are always a joy my friend...

Semper

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
LOL grover.

Ah if I had the money I suppose I would buy a few just because I can...

However the last lawyer I had (ahem.. could afford) wore a coat that looked like it was fashioned after my late grandmother old couch... smelled of strong whiskey as well...

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Well he doesn't need a team, he can always use the power of pardon to pardon himself.

Really the man has more to answer to the people of this nation than anything else.

But he is so arrogance that he believe that as a president he is above the law and the people that elected him.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well he doesn't need a team, he can always use the power of pardon to pardon himself.

Really the man has more to answer to the people of this nation than anything else.

But he is so arrogance that he believe that as a president he is above the law and the people that elected him.

I hear you Marg

"I'll do what I want..Heck with the American people.. I'm the President!!"

Excuse me for a moment....

*Throws another hissy fit. Oh whats the use.. No matter what we do none of our elected officals will not even listen to us anymore.

oi..Well hello amnesty bill. I betcha thats why he hired this legal team. I saw from a email I got that Bush said it will take two days to push the bill through. I have the link to my signature to a thread to this anyway but it seems like its not getting out.

No matter what the US citizens say were overruled and that isn't right. We said no to Amnesty. That don't matter one bit because we have a president that will do what he wants when he wants.

"Mr. Bush when we said 'No To Amnesty' We Meant It!!"

[edit on 6/11/2007 by Leyla]

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The point I have been trying to make about this is that... with a White House legal team already in place, why does he feel the need to hire an outside team to help with his battles with congress? That is what I find confusing and suspect.

[" Legal experts said the hires indicated that Bush was gearing up to fight congressional inquiries that he considered an encroachment on presidential power. The president has accused Democrats of seeking to score political points by delving into White House deliberations on a host of issues.

"This indicates a war-on-all-fronts legal strategy against congressional oversight," said Washington lawyer Bruce Fein, who served as the deputy attorney general in the Reagan administration.'/]

BTW congressional oversight is one of the key components that makes our system work... remove that and what do you have left... arbitrary use of power.

[edit on 12-6-2007 by grover]

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla

"I'll run this country by executive order if I have to" - BILL CLINTON

And that's a REAL QUOTE.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Leyla

"I'll run this country by executive order if I have to" - BILL CLINTON

And that's a REAL QUOTE.

BUT bush minor has gone further than any president, (in my lifetime anyway) along with the aid of the Patriot act and a Republican congress that refused to do its ordained job of oversight, to whittle away with the checks and balances that make our system work(ish).

bush minor has done what I thought was impossible... He's made Nixxon look good.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I will make a prediction....now I am no psychic but I say Bush will never be brought forward on any charges

SR

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Ok can i ask these questions without being thrown into 'anti-bush' category?

Do the White House legal team stay in their positions no matter what party comes into power in the UK we have the Civil Servants remain carrying out there roles no matter who is elected although saying that certain party biased people are usually put into key roles yet the majority stays whatever regime is in power.

Maybe George Bush is trying to curry favour with the people and certain key figures within the party by hiring outside 'individuals' to prove him 'innocent' so no one can claim that the White House legal team have been biased in there opinion by supporting the current president.

If we go back to my first point maybe if the White House team is subject to senate bais then the president cannot trust them fully to back up his stance so has hired a team that will do so but this point is based on my own ignorance of the US system so is merely specualtion on my part.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Each president brings in his own counsel as far as i can tell. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but it would seem counter-productive to use a former president (and parties) team... regardless after 6+ years in power bush minor should have had all that sorted out by now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join