It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers become attached to their droids.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

the staff there will have to deal with one or more teary eyed troops, carrying the blasted remains of their droid, and wanting to know if their little guy can be rebuilt. Many of the droids are given names, which are painted on the robot chassis.

The Baghdad droid hospital.

I guess I could see this happening. As humans we get attached to all sorts of things. Still, How will this effect combat operations when the droids are able to seriously interact and communicate, effectively being a genuine member of the team?

Will the soldiers still be able to send them on suicide missions?

A strange situation indeed.

wupy

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Well in Vietnam soldiers became very attached to their companion bomb-sniffing military dogs, for just reasons, these dogs were heroes, saving the lives of countless humans.

Can this happen with androids as well? Sure, I mean we're not talking about the metal and gear type of android even now, some look and act very lifelike now...

So yes its all possible, not just in the military either...

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by greatlakes
Well in Vietnam soldiers became very attached to their companion bomb-sniffing military dogs, for just reasons, these dogs were heroes, saving the lives of countless humans.

Can this happen with androids as well? Sure, I mean we're not talking about the metal and gear type of android even now, some look and act very lifelike now...

So yes its all possible, not just in the military either...

greatlakes your avatar is funny

the staff there will have to deal with one or moramazing huh, americans are crying over robote teary eyed troops, carrying the blasted remains of their droid, and wanting to know if their little guy can be rebuilt. Many of the droids are given names, which are painted on the robot chassis.

amazin , americans cry over robots , nwhat are they children huh./..

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
And here I thought the whole point of the droids was so that less American lives would be in danger! Here, they're actually protecting the things, droids are easily build and replaceable, why care if it gets shot up?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
See I can understand a person getting attached to a dog. Getting attached to a tin can and crying over it...the world really is comming to an end isn't it.

Regards,
Maestro

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by maestro46
See I can understand a person getting attached to a dog. Getting attached to a tin can and crying over it...the world really is comming to an end isn't it.

Regards,
Maestro

Not really. I'm very attached to my "Pound Puppy" soft-toy dog I gotten since I was 8. And I'm 28 now and its still beside me when I sleep

Its all in our emotions. Can't really explain it. Hey, I have met people who says burying dead pets is a waste of time and good land space.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It only makes sense for them to become attached if the droids are sentinent. I think one thing that could be done is to have what makes the droids sentinent actually be separate from the bodies that they control. That way when the droids are destroyed the "mind" that controlled that droid would still exist, and could be deployed into an infinite number of other droids.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kingdrakethe3rd
I think one thing that could be done is to have what makes the droids sentinent actually be separate from the bodies that they control. That way when the droids are destroyed the "mind" that controlled that droid would still exist, and could be deployed into an infinite number of other droids.

But what if the little droid learns? What if after being blown up 10 times it decides, "To hell with that!" when sent out on it's eleventh mission?

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by greatlakes

That might well of been during conflict, what happened when they pulled out?

Most where euthanized and the others where turned over to the ARVN

To the relief of postal workers across the US!

top topics

join