It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sukhoi PAK FA (Russian Fifth-generation fighter)

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Standard?For?

There are very few primary air-superiority platforms I can think of that come in only two-seater variants. Only one off the top of my head is the F-14, but that's more interceptor-ish than I think PAK-FA is intended for. All the Flanker and Fulcrum series have 1-seater variants, if you want to replace those then you might try a single-seater given that it will be what the pilots are used to.

But a trainer is not all of it right? It got me thinking.. does the F-22 have a two seater trainer? Interesting question for me since I never bothered to think about it.

It is my personal suspicion, and I can't back this up for sure with sources, that the Lockheed-Martin was well-aware that F-22 was not going to get bought in large quantities. Nothing near the amounts of the F-15, anyway. With this in mind it made more sense to do a single variant, a single-seater, to fulfill the needs of the Air Force. A double-seater would only have incurred more development costs, taken longer to field, and still would have been bought in very low numbers. This doesn't make much business sense, and it didn't appear to be a requisite of the replacement anyway. Ergo the two-seater version wasn't realized. Simulators and whatnot can give you a good feel for where the stuff in the cockpit is, and if you have a reasonable estimate of how to handle the aircraft you can probably do a few cautious solos.

And so why doesn't the F-22 have a 2 seat version? Or better yet.. why isn't the F-22 2 seat? Is it purely to reduce the lifted payload that is replaced by computing power?

See above for my own suspicion on the subject. Again, I have no documents or sources to really back it up, but it just keeps going around inside my brain.

and so why wasn't it a part of the original program with or w/o the Indians?

Given how little information has come out about the design involved in the project, I wouldn't be in the least surprised if it was and we just hadn't heard about it. Alternatively, they may have wanted to get the single-seater up and running before starting serious work on the double-seater. Again, I don't really know for sure.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
What I understood why there is no twin-seat F-22 was simple: many jobs could be given to computer that equiped on F-22.
Concerning to quantities of the F-22's, I think US has been aware sth from recent crisis at Caucaso.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The F-22 is like the A-10. They only built one seaters for both. They use simulators for all the training in them. Your first flight is your solo flight. The simulators are so realistic that they don't need a two seat version for training.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
What I understood why there is no twin-seat F-22 was simple: many jobs could be given to computer that equiped on F-22.
Concerning to quantities of the F-22's, I think US has been aware sth from recent crisis at Caucaso.

Off topic maybe.. but from reports I've heard/read, the Russians have lost ~100 troops in the Georgia invasion?
Isn't that too many for this kind of overwhelming force superiority?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The F-22 is like the A-10. They only built one seaters for both. They use simulators for all the training in them. Your first flight is your solo flight. The simulators are so realistic that they don't need a two seat version for training.

Well.. I can imagine why the A-10 one seat configuration would do very well for the roles the A-10 was designed for.
In the case of a F-22 Raptor?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Will this be PAKFA?

[edit on 27-8-2008 by emile]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by emile

Donno dude... looks like you uploaded it.
Your link is dead... here's a working one.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Awesome catch, C0bzz. These appear to be radar reflection graphs as evidenced by the word Рефракция (refractsiya), referring to how the radar waves act with the airframe. If this really is PAK-FA, my day is made. The bad news: I can read the top left meaning "Reflection, 360 degrees" but I can't figure out what the next stuff is. It is my suspicion that the three letters on the end are EMM, meaning electromagnetic radiation something or other, but I can't be sure. And I have no idea what the letters in between the two sections are. Too pixelated to be sure.

This definitely appears to be a radar cross-section clip, but I don't think this is PAK-FA. Don't get me wrong, I hope it is since it's a beautiful piece (and stealthy if you know what you're watching), but it seems that the other design with wide delta wings and spread engines seems to be more agreed upon. There's a picture of the radar cross section for that as well IIRC. I'll try to track it down.

Great find though, props to Emile and C0bzz.

Edit: Give credit where credit is due.

[edit on 8/27/2008 by Darkpr0]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Awesome catch, C0bzz.

No probs...

LOL.

It was truely Emile who uploaded it, just the link was broken.
Thanks Emile.

And for #s & giggles... I'd really appreciate it if anyone could PM me accurate values for weights / thrust ratings for fighters.

[edit on 27/8/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The FSWed F-22 made me headache. It looks much detailed than any other layouts we have seen up to now, but why it's seemed like Russ was zealous FSW so much just forgot that Su-47 did nothing better than X-29???

BTW, I don't know that only Code was needed for inserting video.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by emile]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Pause at the right time of the video this comes up:

*Cropped, contrast enhanced / resized.

Enhanced by me:

It & S-37 side by side.

Where do you get these pictures & videos from Emile?

[edit on 30/8/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Double post. :S

[edit on 30/8/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
The rudders on your corrected scheme are not good.
Rewatch the video ^^.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Is this the Pak FA - www.bharat-rakshak.com...

I know it say's its a wind-tunnel model of MCA(medium combat aircraft), but India is partnered with Russia on the Pak Fa project, so maybe (I'm thinking), its the same project...

It certainly looks the same as the one in the above youtube link.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Maybe the front will look like this, but the rest wont be like this due to the internal ammunitions dock whitch needs space.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

KOMSOMOLSK-ON-AMUR, May 11 (RIA Novosti) - A Russian deputy prime minister said Monday that flight tests of a fifth-generation fighter will start in Russia by the end of 2009.

Edit - Source

It's getting closer. I actually expect first flight to be pushed back until Q1 2010 due to something going wrong, but I think what most of us are waiting for is just the unveiling. Russian officials are sticking pretty tightly to '09 as the first flight date, so first looks can't be too far off.

[edit on 5/11/2009 by Darkpr0]

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join