It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perhaps Sir Marduk know something about this

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
CinLung and Marduk, you two crack me up.

I think that it is likely to be as Marduk said in his last post. Used for trade.

Maybe the number indicates value (how much it was "worth") , or even some representation of weight.

Yeah, but in here he always sound smarter, while in fact he is not.
Trust me, English men are not that good.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CinLung-Part-1
Yeah, but in here he always sound smarter, while in fact he is not.

Do you know him in person?

Anyway, I suggest that you challenge him to a debate. If you are really sure of how you feel about his knowledge. (or assumed lack of)

But I do like reading the exchanges between the two of you. Very entertaining, and sometimes informative. You guys should start your own comedy show. You have a pretty hilarious routine going.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Trust me, English men are not that good.

So, how do other countries stack up? Are Canadians "not all that good" either? How about Scandanavians or Moldovians?

If members focussed on the topic rather than insulting each other, perhaps there'd be a lot less flaming and the resultant bannings.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

So, how do other countries stack up? Are Canadians "not all that good" either?

hmmm I think thats stretching it a bit far

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

Do you know him in person?

Anyway, I suggest that you challenge him to a debate. If you are really sure of how you feel about his knowledge. (or assumed lack of)

But I do like reading the exchanges between the two of you. Very entertaining, and sometimes informative. You guys should start your own comedy show. You have a pretty hilarious routine going.

[A bit off topic]

- No, I don't waste time knowing English men in person, they are infidels.

- Challenge is a hard word. Anyway, everybody is stereotype, the wind is on his side. You know, English is on top of the world.

- Marduk has spent all his life time reading links and links on websites, he's been dreaming of being the best archeologist in the world. ( I hope he has a chance to watch Indian Jones 4. And I am glad the old English man Sean Conneary is no longer there ).
Marduk reminds me of old friends in high school who wear glasses as thick as beer bottles. What we call them? Nerds, bookworms?

And I don't expect him to be a comedian.

[edit on 16-6-2007 by CinLung-Part-1]

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   

So, how do other countries stack up? Are Canadians "not all that good" either? How about Scandanavians or Moldovians?

If members focussed on the topic rather than insulting each other, perhaps there'd be a lot less flaming and the resultant bannings.

I don't know much about Canadians, all I know the land belongs to Indians ( correct me if I am wrong ). Today's Canadian are English men, but they don't do well there. They have to buy some Asians to fill the land, just like Australians do.

I know nothing about Scandinavians beside blue eyes, blondes and snow. I think they are good people (men and women). At least, they don't rob the world like English men (men only, patriarchy is the right word?) did and still do robbing every each day.

Hehehehe, flame is what keeps us alive. We always need sparks to lite our lives.

Back to the topic. Do you have any idea what the thing is? Do you agree it has something to do with VOC, the Dutch (another robber).

[edit on 16-6-2007 by CinLung-Part-1]

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Marduk reminds me of old friends in high school who wear glasses as thick as beer bottles.

I don't wear glasses
and if i'm an infidel then you must be a heretic

```````````````````````
Trimmed quote

[edit on 18/6/07 by masqua]

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk

I don't wear glasses
and if i'm an infidel then you must be a heretic

Oh no............ what time is it there in England now, infidel? Don't you need sometimes to sleep?
There is no more soccer there in England, not until August.

BTW, the best player this year is Christianto Ronaldo of Portugal, not David Beckham of England.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
its 22:23 hrs
I don't watch football
I would but the Islamic countries dont seem to be any good at it and without them whats the point

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   

its 22:23 hrs
I don't watch football
I would but the Islamic countries don't seem to be any good at it and without them whats the point

Aulhamduilluilah, it seems you are on our side now. Allah is always forgiveness.

BTW, one of the world best soccer player was Zideanne Zidanne of Arab-French, he is our brother moeslem.

You should know how infidels Italians cheated him on last World Cup.

Go to sleep my foe, it is Sunday tomorrow, wake up fresh and go to your church early morning to pray for Satans.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Back to the topic. Do you have any idea what the thing is? Do you agree it has something to do with VOC, the Dutch (another robber).

But I've already given you my opinion of what I think the medallion is about;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Perhaps you didn't notice it.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Just my 2 cents on this, but...

I don't think it is a coin as coins did not have dates on them until the late 1400's, and even then it was a bit longer until the arabic numeric system was fully utilized. The relic in question has a fully developed form of the Arabic numeric system as seen in the picture. Even then, early on they were dated with only the last two numbers of the date such as only the "75" of "1375". I would venture to guess that it may be some sort of early weighing device for the Dutch East India Company. The fact that the relic carries the VOC letters is too much of a coincidence to suggest otherwise. Such an object could have been used to weigh metals, grain, etc. that was traded through the company so that the "1375" could have a certain weight assigned to it such as 1375 grams, 1375 pounds, etc. I believe it would be a good idea to find out the exact weight of the relic so that you might be able to coordinate it's weight with weight systems of the time. In my opinion, I would guess the relic dates to the mid-1700's because of the general pattern of wear on the obverse side of the object.

I think it would be well worth knowing the following information before anyone investigates further:

1. It's weight?
2. What the other side of the object looks like?
3. Where you obtained the object?

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman

...early on they were dated with only the last two numbers of the date such as only the "75" of "1375". I would venture to guess that it may be some sort of early weighing device for the Dutch East India Company.

... so that the "1375" could have a certain weight assigned to it such as 1375 grams, 1375 pounds, etc. I believe it would be a good idea to find out the exact weight of the relic so that you might be able to coordinate it's weight with weight systems of the time.

In my opinion, I would guess the relic dates to the mid-1700's because of the general pattern of wear on the obverse side of the object.

I think it would be well worth knowing the following information before anyone investigates further:

1. It's weight?

Excellent, good, very good. It could be a WEIGHT apart of MERCHANDIZING No.

You are the 2nd person who told me something about mid-1700's.

1. I can try to get the exact weight. ( I hope they all have the same weight ).
2. The other side is plain.
3. No, but I can obtain it from someone.

Thanks for your opinions.

I can't talk too much before I get the 8th ban.

[edit on 18-6-2007 by CinLung-Part-2]

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   

But I've already given you my opinion of what I think the medallion is about;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Perhaps you didn't notice it.

Oh ok, sorry, I did notice it. But Marduk was too hot for me.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I look forward to hearing more about the object when you find out. As a "Former" Numismatist I can virtually guarantee you that it is not an object created for face value (ie. not used for monetary purposes). I used to specifically specialize in Medieval Numismatics, and this particular relic looks quite similar to many weights and measures used in the mid-1700's. When coinage used to contain precious metals such as gold and silver it was common practice for people to cut or shave off the edges of coins in order to retain a bit of the metal shaving for resale. For example, someone would take an English Silver Groat and cut off a tiny bit of metal from the edge of the coin thus reducing the metal content of the coin and also reducing its value because of the lost silver content. So instead of taking the coin at face value, a merchant would simply weigh the silver content on a scale. On one side of the scale would be a pile of coins and on the other they would place weights so as to determine the weight of the silver or gold they were receiving. This effectively would eliminate the need for the merchant to count his money, and instead base all transactions on the weight of the coins alone. Since the advent of coins being intricately designed and made of not-so-precious metals this system has all but died and eliminated the need for it.

Depending on the outcome of where the relic came from and its weight I would bet it is a monetary weight. I do have one further question...How many of these relics are you in possession of? If there is a large quantity of them that were found together it may signify something like a metal ore bar. The Dutch East India Company used to create Copper "bars" (Flat sheets of copper) that would have coin like impressions stamped into them which signified the value and weight of the "bar" at the time of shipment. These "bars" would later be melted down and used for monetary purposes or whatever the recipient wanted, and thus saving the need for the merchant to barter as to the value of the stamped metal sheet.

If there were a large enough quantity of these relics found together what you may have is a Bronze "bar" (I agree with Marduk that it looks Bronze, but I can't tell from the picture, so it could be Brass with an odd patina) that served the same purpose as the Copper "bars". Do you know what type of metal this relic is made from?

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman

1. It's weight?

Sorry, not yet weight.
The other side is plain.
I don't, but yes I can obtain it. They claimed they have dozens of them.

Thanks for your 2 cents, I need 3 cents.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
pfffft this thread died a death some time ago

[edit on 26-6-2007 by Marduk]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   

pfffft this thread died a death some time ago

[edit on 26-6-2007 by Marduk]

That's is 1 liner, and should be BANned!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow never dies.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
A reminder to all paricipants...

Mod Note: Post On Topic – Please Review This Link.

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join