It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin suggests a new location for US ABM system

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Came across this on yahoo news, thought it was interesting and was wondering what anyone else thought.

Putin suggests US relocate its ABM system.

It appears that Putin's suggestions to relocate the ABM network to Azerbajan could possibly be taken into account. And they don't sound all that bad. Except for the suggestion that the systems development be transparent to Russia along with the facility, it sounds like something that could be worked out. As this is a defensive system and not an offensive one, why should it be made transparent to Russia? That's the thing I don't get, it seems to me to be a rather bold request for a system that is not yet deployed and will represent the latest of US ABM tech. And from my understanding, Russia does pretty well with their own ABM systems, thats whats confusing to me. Any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The proposal is to showcase the world that US is not placing the missiles in Poland/Czech Republic to protect against Iran, but to aim them at intercepting Russian missiles. It would make far more sense for US to base both the missiles and the radars in Turkey or Greece which are already long-time and secure NATO members. These countries as well as Azerbaijan are located much closer to Iran, and lie directly between Iran and the major possible striking points (Western Europe and US - as if Iran will ever develop missiles to reach them). US will politely decline this offer, and continue to do what they have been doing since the end of the Cold War - expanding NATO and placing military assets in Eastern Europe anywhere they can.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I can almost guarantee you that the reason Putin is raising any kind of "concern" over this comes down to one of two different reasons.

1) He has plans of his own that are far from being civil.
2) He is hoping to gain something.

I don't trust Putin and I haven't from the first time I laid eyes on the man. There is just something about him that doesn't sit well with me.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I don't trust Putin and I haven't from the first time I laid eyes on the man. There is just something about him that doesn't sit well with me.

Wow I have the same exact feeling towards George Bush. In fact I didn't like Bush senior the first time I saw him, and I knew right away that his kids cannot be any good or trustworthy. Now that I look back Clinton brings bad vibes as well, and Reagan scares the heck out of me outright. In fact the only recent US president who I found benevolent looking with Carter. As for the rest of them since- I think they are up to no good and are planning something very very evil. Please elect a more friendly-looking president in the future.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy

Wow I have the same exact feeling towards George Bush.

You want to hear the real kicker? I don't particularly trust Bush either. His shifty eyes and smirk doesn't sit well with me. Carter was weak, so naturally he would appear "benevolent."

[edit on 7-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I guess I'll ask the obvious question: How does Azerbaijan feel about this proposal? The governments of Poland and the Czech Republic asked for it. Does Azerbaijan feel the same way?

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   

The proposal is to showcase the world that US is not placing the missiles in Poland/Czech Republic to protect against Iran, but to aim them at intercepting Russian missiles. It would make far more sense for US to base both the missiles and the radars in Turkey or Greece which are already long-time and secure NATO members. These countries as well as Azerbaijan are located much closer to Iran, and lie directly between Iran and the major possible striking points (Western Europe and US - as if Iran will ever develop missiles to reach them). US will politely decline this offer, and continue to do what they have been doing since the end of the Cold War - expanding NATO and placing military assets in Eastern Europe anywhere they can.

Ok, so the 10-20 ABM batteries are a threat to the thousands of Russian missiles? I don't think so, but the points Putin made were good as to the reasons to relocate to Azerbajan.

-It would cover all of Europe as opposed to the smaller portion it would cover in Poland and the Czech Republic.
-Missiles shot down would land in the sea, rather than over land, being potentially dangerous to any people below.

But he is asking wayyyyyyyy too much if he wants the defensive program to be transparent to the Russians. You think Russia would do that for the US on such a program? I certainly don't. Russia is more concerned about losing their traditional sphere of influence than anything, that is very clear at this point.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I personally don't understand why the U.S doesn't just set it up in the U.S and not worry about putting it in other countries.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Let me guess... the new location for the ABM system is up bush minor's arse.
There's not much room though with his head up there all the time.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Hmmmmm If he gets frisky and tries to take out the ABM's its alot easier to go after them there then it is to drop on Europe / EU members eh?

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Please elect a more friendly-looking president in the future.

Ok, and the Russian president is just an angel himself, Mr. Ex-KGB. Its clear that neither side trusts the other, so lets not make this a thread about the two nations presidents. Talk about the article, I find it interesting and am wondering how it will turn out. I'm sure compromises will be made, and I have an idea about what won't be compromised, but I can't wait to see this play out. The Cold-War is still on, just not as frigid as it once was, this is becoming clear to me.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
That would be my assumption, FredT. Additionally, Putin likely has far more influence in Azerbaijan than in Eastern Europe, and most likely they'll pull the ABM system at any time if he asks them to do so. I doubt it would be so easy in Poland or the Czech Republic.

In the end, I don't believe this has anything to do with the ABM system. It poses no threat to Russia or its nuclear missile compliment. This is all about influence. Putin and the Russians are attempting to derail cooperation and ties between the US and the nations of Eastern Europe in any way possible.

[edit on 7-6-2007 by vor78]

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Vor78, that's true. Like I said, Putin's reason for this "concern" comes down to one of two things.

I personally don't think Bush and Putin have really been allied on much over the last eight years. Everything that comes up, one or the other has some objection to it. If ones supports an issue, the other seems to oppose it.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
That would be my assumption, FredT. Additionally, Putin likely has far more influence in Azerbaijan than in Eastern Europe, and most likely they'll pull the ABM system at any time if he asks them to do so. I doubt it would be so easy in Poland or the Czech Republic.

In the end, I don't believe this has anything to do with the ABM system. It poses no threat to Russia or its nuclear missile compliment. This is all about influence. Putin and the Russians are attempting to derail cooperation and ties between the US and the nations of Eastern Europe in any way possible.

[edit on 7-6-2007 by vor78]

Just as I stated earlier, its all about influence. Of course as far as Eastern Europe goes, Russia will always have the upper hand as long as they control the flow of the energy sources into the region, as seen when they shut off the shipments before. They will use that as long as they can to strong-arm those nations, can you blame them for moving to the US side in this case?

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I personally don't understand why the U.S doesn't just set it up in the U.S and not worry about putting it in other countries.

The problem is that many of these countries have asked the US to set up the ABM system on their soil. Its tough to turn away a country asking for a means to protect itself from a possible nuclear missile strike. Granted, we all know that western Europe is a much more likely target if it happens, but given the potential consequences, it is difficult to say no. And what if you do say no, and it happens?

If the Czech Republic, Poland and Latvia still want the system, morally, I don't think I could turn them away. By the same token, I couldn't make the system unavailable to countries without the resources to build such a system of their own. If these smaller countries want it, it should be available to them.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
The problem is that many of these countries have asked the US to set up the ABM system on their soil. Its tough to turn away a country asking for a means to protect itself from a possible nuclear missile strike. Granted, we all know that western Europe is a much more likely target if it happens, but given the potential consequences, it is difficult to say no. And what if you do say no, and it happens?

If the Czech Republic, Poland and Latvia still want the system, morally, I don't think I could turn them away. By the same token, I couldn't make the system unavailable to countries without the resources to build such a system of their own. If these smaller countries want it, it should be available to them.

I think it's also a lot of politics as well, as far as those countries trying to meet specific conditions as NATO member countries. Some can't make significant military contributions, so why not just let those that can base equipment and defense systems there? Thats what I'm thinking anyhow.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Don't listen to Putin. If you know how the missile defense system operates, you know it has to be somewhere in central Europe. Not right next to Iran. The system is not built to go chase after the missiles that are launch. Its suppose to meet it head on in space. The system is useless if Iran's missles are already pass the missile defense platform.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
There's no doubt about that. Many of the countries asking for the system may be trying to 'buy' their way into the US/NATO sphere of influence and protection by doing this. I really don't have a problem with that, as long as the underlying motivation is understood; that being that ultimately they're probably afraid of the Russians and want NATO's protection.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Backed down already.

How disappointing.

I'm disgusted right now.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
How about every country, keep there bases to their own country, problem solved, nobody starts crying and fighting like children.... now i'm living in a dreamworld, why on earth does the U.S want a base there, they know it will only pi*s off the Russians. Europe has enough cover, threat from Iran?
How many worldwide bases is it now for the U.S? another empire in the building process
Poland must love it sticking it at the Soviets

top topics

<<   2 >>

join