It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

windpower illegal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I was trying to figure out how to bring my power bill down the other day and i found out that a windmill might not be the best idea

www.renewableenergyaccess.com...

-- Subtitle D of the bill would direct the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) to review every existing and planned wind project, a mandate far beyond the agency's resources and capabilities, and criminalize operation of wind energy facilities not formally certified by USFWS.

-- Under the legislation, landowners and farmers with wind turbines on their property would be subject to invasive inspection requirements.

-- Landowners and farmers could face jail time or a $50,000 penalty for putting a wind turbine, regardless of whether it is for personal use or of a commercial scale, on their property without certification by the USFWS director.

They are saying that windmills kill to many birds.
I guess birds are cool but i thought that pollution hurt more than just birds.

I just don't see how anyone but the oil companies would benefit from this.

mod edit, spelling in title

[edit on 9-6-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Thats ridiculous, jail time of $50,000.00 fine. I wonder how much they charge the people over in the palms springs and death valley areas for their wind mills and there are hundreds of them. I would have thought that the energy companies would give some kind of credit for that.

[edit on 6-6-2007 by pweagle]

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well I think this may depend.

If they are talking about the big huge wind turbines, than I'm fine with it being illegal if
you don't get a permit, since we don't want to disrupt the natural flight path of insect
and avian migration or kill a lot of them.

Like imagine if someone set-up a big wind tower farm right in the path of a known large
migration path, the death-toll for the birds would far outweigh the benefits of the farm itself.

However this probably does not apply to smaller wind generators, like ones that
are only 10 Ft. tall.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
You just need to ask for their permission to plant it in there, and maybe pay them for the permit? unless they have a solid reason why you cant plance one there. I mean its not like they are saying you cant do it, they just want to make sure that people dont plant them where ever they please. Its just a another crude way to control the people.

[edit on 6/6/07 by Gonjo]

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Lots of eagles get killed by windmills, and it's very tragic. Maybe wave energy would be better? I've heard that there are very high waves in the Strait of Hormuz right now. If there were wave units there, they could give lots of output perhaps? And as a bonus, they would also block for shipping traffic. The evil oil tankers would not be able to pass

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

However this probably does not apply to smaller wind generators, like ones that
are only 10 Ft. tall.

The opposite is true actually...

Actually contrary to popular belief the Large wind turbines are actually the most benign because their blades don't need to turn as fast in order to generate a lot of electricity. The smaller the turbine is the faster the blades have to turn to generate a useful amount of electricty. Large fields of smaller turbines would be much more disruptive then a large field filled with Large of Huge turbines.

Also I need to remind people that Wind Turbines will never be a huge threat compared to their other nemesis, reflective windows.... Downtown in Toronto, they have teams which clean up to 50 birds per day! I've never heard of a Wind Turbine killing that many in a day.

Here is a 1 kW turbine.

Look at the larger ones behind it. Same wind yet they are moving much slower and are generating much more power to boot.

[edit on 6-6-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
well i d k what to say.....because the birds are to stupid to not fly into a blade on a windmill you gotta fine and bill people....and make it harder to get this new essantially free energy....the other day i went past a lot of large wind generators right off the I 35 south of albert lea, mn and looking at the windmills i would saw they turn maybe 30-45 rpm.....but come on....this is bull people caring about the birds and saying no we cant have that but then also complain that oil and coal is polluting the world...this essentanlly clean and free energy is now being denied because of a couple birds......should we all get permits to drive everytime we want to.....i mean think of how many bugs we kill just in a 50 mile trip....you konw when it sounds like its raining but its bugs.....well i think everyone needs to quit driving because of how many bugs we kill each time....i mean come on there are millions of cars on the road everyday and no one seems to care about that....haha.....idk i guess

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Its prolly illegal to have a windpowered turbine to make energy unless your powering the propellers by Gas from the middle east lol

Birds my bum, Birds have wings they can find a way around it, if not they thats just one more bird that wont endanger aircraft engines lol.

Its just a ploy to keep our crack addiction to forgien oil.

[edit on 7-6-2007 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Sure blame everything on the oil companies.

Coal, nuclear, water turbines and natural gas is used to generate the majority of electricity in the US so I fail to see how the oil companies are involved here.

Put the blame where it really belongs. EPA, Sierra Club, PETA, Greenpeace and the rest of the environmentalsts. Plans for a windfarm near Martha's Vineyard were scrapped when Ted Kennedy complained that they would change the view from his property.

As far as wave generation goes, look into the plans to use the tides in the Bay of Fundy to generate power. Then look at who blocked it.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Couldn't agree more, JIMC.

Its not the oil companies. The problem is that the environmentalists have the democratic party in their back pocket and together, they've done everything they can to take alternatives to oil off the table. And not suprisingly, who is submitting this bill? A democrat.

And before someone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm not saying that the environmentalists are always wrong. They aren't. In fact, the majority do good work. The problem is that there's a radical faction of them that seem bent on the return of humanity to the stone age and unfortunately, they're well financed and well connected politically.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I stopped defending the Democrats when they proposed a bill to halt local and state green plans so that a more centralized proposal can be made to congress....

Dems drafting bill that could derail state warming law

Though there is word that Pelosi might kill the bill...

[edit on 7-6-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Lots of eagles get killed by windmills

first i was like "whats he talking bout, article said nothing bout eagles" now i get it

but for real, house cats kill more birds than this. And this wasn't really talking about big wind farms. I think if i want a windmill on my property i should be able to have one...

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaDewd

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Lots of eagles get killed by windmills

first i was like "whats he talking bout, article said nothing bout eagles" now i get it

Yup, it was a play on the thread title. But it's also true...

Wind Farm Kills Nine Eagles in Norway

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If wind turbines are outlawed, only outlaws will have wind turbines!

The bird question is a bit of a furphy in my opinion.There was a propsed windfarm in Victoria that got put on hold because of the potential danger to a threatened bird. Only problem, the bird in question had never really been sited there. Hmmmm.

IAN CAMPBELL: They've said that by building it you will… by approving it, I would bring this bird closer to extinction.

With the orange-bellied parrot, it is in such low numbers, we're talking somewhere between 99 and 200 birds in the whole of the world, that killing some of those birds will drive them into extinction.

ALISON CALDWELL: The 52 turbine wind farm was approved by the Bracks Government two years ago.

State Planning Minister Rob Hulls disagrees with the Minister's interpretation of the report.

ROB HULLS: His actual report says that not a single orange-bellied parrot was observed near the proposed Bald Hills wind farm. At best, scientists found a few historic records of sightings and a couple of potential foraging sites 10 to 35 kilometres away.

www.abc.net.au...

Yet the report showed the parrots do not regularly fly near Bald Hills, and predicted that even if all 23 of the wind farms were built in the three states, the impact would "very small, even barely noticeable'', possibly causing up to one extra death a year.
[. . .]
Mr Bracks claimed donations to the Liberal Party from non-renewable energy generators may have influenced Senator Campbell, and that his decision would not stand up to scrutiny.

"Of course we know from evidence that there is more likelihood of an endangered species hitting buildings or cars or private structures (than) hitting something like a wind turbine,'' Mr Bracks said.

www.theage.com.au... l-action-threat-on-wind-farm/2006/04/06/1143916656738.html

So, the fine politicians care about the birdies. Nice. Now, if they could take the same attitude wtih indigenous health, education funding, hospitals. . .

But don't worry, they're doing it for our benefit.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
How rediculous is this?

OK, fine, ban turbines and wind generators.

BUT, how about banning aeroplanes too?

I bet "birdstrikes" happen a lot more frequently than wind powered accidents.

And they travel at hundreds of miles an hour!

And while you're at it, how about banning helicopters, derigibles, radio controlled models, gyrocopters, jets, microlites etc, etc? Anything that flies.

Stupid regulations made by puppets to the corporate meglomania if you ask me!

[edit on 9/6/2007 by nerbot]

top topics

join