It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lunar-tics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   
It has been reported in British press this morning that a police officer from Sussex has offered proof that people are more aggressive, and that there is a direct link between full moons and increased violence among the populace.

Inspector Parr, from Brighton, looked at a year of crime statistics, and found a consistent and direct correlation between number of violent crimes, and full moon occurences. The statistics are very clear, the increase in incidents very sharp.

Now I'm a police officer in Oxfordshire, and can say that one of the first things I learnt in the job was to look for a full moon. If it was a full moon night shift, we always knew it would be busy, and strange! A full moon genuinely brings out strange characters and strange behaviour. When I first joined, about 2 years ago, I thought my colleagues were joking about this, but now I accept is a total truth. It is no surprise to me or my colleagues that this has been reported, we have known for years! Indeed, the word lunatic/lunacy is a derivitive of the word lunar, lunar meaning of the moon.

Interesting anyway. Why do you all think this is? What actually occurs within the human mind at a full moon?

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, which I suspect it is. Mods feel free to move if neccasary.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I was just about to start the very same thread. I notice they said payday was another time they could predict disturbances but that one's easily explained. A friend of mine told me this years ago. She used to work with mentally handicapped and said there was always a riot of sorts when the moon was full. Perhaps the moon is amplifying some sort of space "rays" that can effect the weaker minded.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
It is very strange, but very genuine. The first experience I had was taking emergency 999 calls, which is sometimes what I have to do. If we were on nights, and it was a full moon, it would be a kind of in-joke - " busy one tonight then! "

But more than being just busier, it was the odd people we would get phoning, very crazy claims, very strange people, but mainly just odd telephone calls. However, the incidents that occur are often strange on these nights. Lots of jobs involving patients from mental health institutions, and lots of calls from them aswell. So odd!

Its interesting that the ancient origin of lunatic/lunacy is based on our moon, clearly this was regarde as fact and was common knowledge years and years ago.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I don't find this suprising in the least!
The human body is about 92% water (correct me if I'm wrong) and as the maiden of the night is responsible for controlling tides all over the globe so the lunar gravitational influences would seem to have some effect on human behavior in varying degrees.
My deceased paternal grandmother sadly suffered from senile dementure in her later years and my grandfather ( her husband ) invested in a moon calendar to record and predict her behavior throughout the monthly lunar cycle.
At new moon she was calm and passive but as the phases progressed she became increasingly restless and aggressive.
Oddly enough when the moon was full she would stand at the back door and gaze for hours at it.
Yes! I can understand why some people are prone to the influences of the lunar cycle. Science may not support this theory of full moon fever. Maybe because it is rooted in folklore. To many affected individuals this is a montly reality that will never go away.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I tend to go with that anglosaxon, I thought it was rooted in gravitational and similar phenomena. I also think it shows that we should give more credit to ancient knowledge. The trouble is, as you said, because this has become mired in folklore and werewolf type tales, a lot of its credence has been lost.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Most interesting!!

Who knows? As has been said we are mostly water and the Moon affects the Oceans etc. There again though, the Earths rotation means that the Moon is crossing our sky daily so if the affect were purely gravitational you would expect it daily. So maybe it is just the fact that the full moon lights a darkened night and emboldens the affected / infected mind.

It is said that the Human Females monthly cycle is an ancient throwback based on the Moons cycle. What else could we have inherited?

Could it be that there is some other process occurring we are not aware of? I mean, look at seasonal variations. Some people suffer with Seasonal Affected Disorder in the Winter. A lot of people (including me) feel fitter and sexier in Summer or in the Sun. So if the warmth and light of the Sun can do this who knows what other affects nature has on us?

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Cool thread.

Check out this recent article regarding crime and the full moon in the UK.
I can believe it.

Is The Moon To Blame For Crime Rise?

More police will patrol a city's streets during the full moon because of a rise in antisocial behaviour during the peak of the lunar cycle.

Sussex police have made a link between levels of violent crime and the lunar cycle after studying external factors in people's behaviour.

More on link.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Thanks Denied.

It really gets you thinking, Im not personally a believer in astrology, but could there be something in it? I find it amazing that something so seemingly pagan and outdated can be shown to have some value. Really highlights that we may not be as forward thinking as we imagine. Opens up new possibilities regarding how we think.

join