It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists running?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
i would like to know if, unlike any of the numerous congressional or presidential candidates that we have in the running for the USA, any of the people campaiging are atheists.

in traditional american politics, admitting such would be a shot in the foot.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Well in general I consider myself an Atheist.

I don't believe in any kind of deity, I believe in science, and recognize that all life evolved
on Earth naturally as part of a prevalent yet random event.

However, I do believe there may be a kind of scientifically based continued existence
after the cessation of the physical body, but I don't really make any decisions based on that.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Well I make no secret of the fact that I'm an Atheist.
I'm not one those Atheists who goes around demanding the removal of crosses from War memorials and so on. While I hold the separation of church and the state dearly I respect other peoples right to worship .

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
and this makes ATS infinitely more progressive than america... it's like we're sweden or one of those other northern european countries

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i would like to know if, unlike any of the numerous congressional or presidential candidates that we have in the running for the USA, any of the people campaiging are atheists.

I'm not an atheist, but neither am I religious. I believe in God, but I am not arrogant enough to assume I know who or what God is, or what it demands of us.

Thus, God does not enter into my political policy. I base my policies on reason and logic, not some vague idea of what an unknowable divine force desires.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I'm more of an Agnostic myself. I've had tragedy strike my family on more than one occasion where I found myself turning to a belief in a greater being, as a coping mechanism. In those months, I found myself quite spiritual and had a strong sense of a greater power. But for the most part, I do not know and I do not spend much of my days trying to know.

When the time comes, I find strength in my beliefs. But they are not used as a crutch on a day to day business.

I respect those that have a strong sense of spirituality and I respect those that do not.

As thelibra's running mate here, I have to reiterate what he has said. Faith in some power is not going to turn this country around. Policies based on reason and logic are the answer.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
I'm not an atheist, but neither am I religious. I believe in God, but I am not arrogant enough to assume I know who or what God is, or what it demands of us.

o, ye be a deist. just like one of the founding fathers

Thus, God does not enter into my political policy. I base my policies on reason and logic, not some vague idea of what an unknowable divine force desires.

alright, that's always good to know. i'd rather have my politicians thinking than praying.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I never really understood what it mattered on personal beliefs (disbeliefs) in god and politics. The way the government is set up, who you pray to or if you even pray is a personal affair, not a state matter. So why it's a shot in the foot to say you don't believe in a god, I've no clue. I think you should care about the issues not what god to pray to or if you even pray to a god.

I think there might be alot of closet atheists though. I remember when i went to church (as a girl) that most people there were just there for show.. they didn't live or believe in it at all. So, it's completely possibly that politicians do the same thing.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I am an athiest.

I used to be a baptist. In fact when I was 16 I was planning to attend seminary and become a pastor. My former pastor is still my best friend and I'm cool with religion as he lives it- he's a great man because of his faith.

Even if I have a problem with somebody's faith, I consider it their business and none of the state. I don't have a problem with students praying on their own time at school, I don't have a problem with religious speech, I don't think the simple word God is oppressive to athiests like myself, and although I wouldn't go out of my way to put the ten commandments in a courthouse or elsewhere, I would be inclined to grandfather in existing exhibits because I don't consider them oppressive.

But there are a few things that members who intend to vote based on their faith should know about me.

I'm pro stem cell, and I was even when I believed in God. I think that the logic comes out the same regardless of the existence of a God- it's not fair to arbitrarily decide that one person, who would otherwise live, should die so that somebody who would otherwise die can be saved. But if one life is already lost, there is nothing wrong with deriving from that the means to save someone else. That's no different than using organs from dead donors.

I find abortion distasteful and rarely necessary but banning it would be a mistake. Because economic motives are common in abortion, banning abortion merely brings children into lives of poverty with insufficient parental care, to such a degree that there is a correlation between increases in abortion after Roe v Wade and decreases in crime rates several years later. Banning abortion can cause as much suffering as it is intended to prevent.
The thing to do is
1. Prevent unwanted pregnancy by teaching family planning, not just abstinence only, and encouraging the use of various contraceptive measures.
2. Not use government funding to promote or fund abortion.
3. Raise standards of informed consent for abortion.
4. Make the alternatives to abortion (raising the child and adoption) more practical and attractive by providing a social safety net which ensures that American children can be raised at an acceptable standard, and by providing free medical care to parents who choose to give the child up for adoption rather than terminating the pregnancy.

I hold Israel to the same standard as any other nation- they don't get a free pass. I don't subscribe to the idea that we should just let Israel destroy whoever it wants to solve our problems. (as if they had the capability aside from their nukes)

To make a long story short, I'm not the evil athiest boogieman that some extremists would make me out to be, but like there will obviously be points where any two people don't agree, and although I'm willing to compromise and talk things over reasonably with those who see things differently, those who say "my way or the highway because God said so"- who I hope do not represent the majority of people of faith- probably won't like me.

top topics

join