It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

78,000 Iraqis Have Been Killed by Coalition Airstrikes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   

78,000 Iraqis Have Been Killed by Coalition Airstrikes

www.prisonplanet.com

An estimated 78,000 Iraqis were killed by U.S. and Coalition air strikes from the start of the war through June of last year, an article in "The Nation" magazine says.

The estimate is based on the supposition that 13 percent of the 601,000 Iraqis who met violent deaths reported by The Lancet study released last October "had been killed by bomb, missile, rocket or cannon up to last June," author Nick Turse writes in the June 11th issue of the weekly magazine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thenation.com
www.tomdispatch.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
655,000 Iraqis killed since start of war

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
It is no news, that civilians die in armed conflicts - especially those living in urban areas, where fighting can get ugly and situation can get quickly out of control. And in cases like this, the Coalition forces usually call their Air Support - which is directy responsiblef for dropping at least 59,787 pounds of cluster bombs in Iraq, a type of weapon Human Rights Watch termed "the single greatest risk civilians face with regard to a current weapon that is in use." Aside from these deadly devices, Air Force officials acknowledge Coalition aircraft dropped at least 111,000 pounds of other types of bombs in Iraq last year as part of 10,519 "close air support missions," author Turse said.

Now most of this "close air support missions" were happening in an urban area, where civilian casualties are usually high. And in wars usually errors mean many innocents dead - or as certain like to say "colateral damage is high". Not to mention using that much of cluster ammunition, in densely populated urban areas - and this little bomblets are then scattered across vast urban areas, and sooner or later CHILDERN find them...

"Figures provided by the Lancet study suggest that 50 percent of all violent deaths of Iraqi children under 15 in that same period (March 2003 through June 2006) were due to coalition airstrikes."

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
And Bush would have you believe that this number is justifiable collateral damage in his war on terror. For a man whom pretended to be Christ like, his actions sure have been anti-christ like if ya know what I mean.

Mass killing on this scale for one attack in our country on Sept 11 can never be justified especially when there is no connection between the two.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am sad so many innocent Iraqis have died. But I need to point out I feel the number you are talking about are too high.

Relying on the only the Lancet statistics could prove this number to far to high.

Personally, I would try to incorporate a mix of the numbers of the deaths listed below.

This is a link to a report that has six statistics in civilian deaths. FAS org report from November 22, 2006

Using the highest number of the statistics

Iraq Body Count 52,242
Iraq Casulty Count 19,480
Iraq Health Minister 150,000
Brookings Institiute 62,000
Lancet 793,663
UN 27,881
(and I probably read the timeline wrong on some of these?)
An Average of that number is 184,171, which is still an obscene amount of deaths.

Now if you do 13% of that then it would be, 14,167 deaths from airstrikes and bombs. If I were to follow the statistics you put forth. A huge difference from your 78,000. Maybe I am wrong, but it doesn't mean because you have a link to a story that story is right too.

I am not trying to discount the deaths by US policy, bad people in Iraq, or other foreign powers enabling the deaths to continue, but I think that article you posted is on the high side of deaths. And this number I gave would be more conservative, even if I don't believe the methodolgy used to get that number.(For both of us.)

I refuse to have statistics from one source, and expect it to be the correct number. It might lead you in the right direction, but your data will be flawed. I bet my data is flawed too. And it is outdated by 7 months.

Too many civilians have died period. But I am not going to let you put out statistics that are suspect in my mind.

[edit on 3-6-2007 by sbob]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

[edit on 3-6-2007 by Gonjo]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Great job Sbob

The average of the calculations are thrown off by one incredible claim.. if you eliminate that 730,000 estimate, then the average would, imo be far more accurate..

There have been two studies that came out with 730k and 620k .. each one obviously fueled by politics, and the 620k was done so incredibly wrong I can't believe it made news.. it was a group of workers who went door to door asking people how many people they know who died.. then averaged that FOR EVERY IRAQI and came up with 600+ thousand.

I would put the estimate from direct air strikes at about 30 thousand, mostly soldiers however, not civilians.. or at least militants.

The entire deathtoll in Iraq I see being at least 120k counting all insurgent fighting ect.

Not just American killing Iraqi's but Iraqi's killing Iraqis as well.

new topics

top topics

join