It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Top Official Questions Global Warming

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAvenger

Dr. Griffin has every right to have a personal opinion on anthropogenic global warming, and merely stated that opinion. Why should that make him the devil?

But Griffin's stated opinion wasn't on "anthropogenic" global warming, just global warming.
He just isn't sure that it is a problem we need to deal with, and that it is a problem to think that the climate we are used to is the best climate that we could have.

Likely millions of people will be harmed due to the effects of climate change. Doing nothing is allowing these people to be harmed. As Griffin is the chief of NASA he should be criticized for the idea of allowing people to suffer.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

But Griffin's stated opinion wasn't on "anthropogenic" global warming, just global warming.
Likely millions of people will be harmed due to the effects of climate change. Doing nothing is allowing these people to be harmed. As Griffin is the chief of NASA he should be criticized for the idea of allowing people to suffer.

You are correct, global warming was what he said, not A.G.W. I stand corrected.

Many of us scientists and citizens do not believe that there will be any significant future climate change, that the evidence of such is woefully inadequate, so affecting millions is purely opinion. N.A.S.A. has no official position on global warming, which is also a point Griffin tried to make, I believe. It is simply not their mission. I don't see that Griffin did anything wrong. In fact, he should fire Dr. Hansen and others for insubordination. I would. Having an opinion and stating it is fine. Calling your boss an idiot will usually get you the boot, whether it is correct or not.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

Do you have any idea how many times "climate Change" have happened and how many people have been killed because of those "natural changes"?...

Mankind cannot control, mitigate or stop Climate Change...CO2, nor anthropogenic CO2 are the "big bad wolf" that the "let's blame mankind crowd" want you to believe.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Calling your boss an idiot will usually get you the boot, whether it is correct or not.

Can't argue with that.

Originally posted by Muaddib

Do you have any idea how many times "climate Change" have happened and how many people have been killed because of those "natural changes"?...

How many people?
Are you trying to say that people have been killed before that it shouldn't matter now? 25 million people have died from AIDS. Are we suposed to say all these people have died now we should do nothing?

Mankind cannot control, mitigate or stop Climate Change...CO2, nor anthropogenic CO2 are the "big bad wolf" that the "let's blame mankind crowd" want you to believe.

Mankind can not control anthropogenic CO2?

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Still, it is my opinion that our science is not developed enough to attempt to remediate global warming with chemical concoctions with any degree of success.

Aye, I think any positive intervention such as pumping sulphate aersols into the atmosphere, or seeding oceans with iron, is a rather questionable idea. Just reducing our impact is the way to go, with maybe some help by removing CO2.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

Aye, I think any positive intervention such as pumping sulphate aersols into the atmosphere, or seeding oceans with iron, is a rather questionable idea. Just reducing our impact is the way to go, with maybe some help by removing CO2.

Oh yeah...that evil CO2 is what controls the climate alright... humm, I do wonder why does the global climate fluctuates so much when CO2 is being emitted constantly?....maybe it is the fact that CO2 is not that important as a heat trapping GHG?

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Oh yeah...that evil CO2 is what controls the climate alright... humm, I do wonder why does the global climate fluctuates so much when CO2 is being emitted constantly?....maybe it is the fact that CO2 is not that important as a heat trapping GHG?

Or maybe that other variables are just as important...

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Dr. Griffin has every right to have a personal opinion on anthropogenic global warming, and merely stated that opinion. Why should that make him the devil?
[edit on 6/8/2007 by TheAvenger]

Because thats what we do in religion. Anytime a group develops a belief, even on good foundation and villifies anyone who might have a difference of opinion or might try to seek to know the reality, they have themselves a nice little religion. The Vatican once believed it's scholars to have all the answers and they villified anyone who dared promote the earth was anything but flat..they did the same thing to those who thought the earth might not be the center of the universe and then again when the thought of elliptical orbit was developed. The point is, they thought, in the beginning, they had the ultimate knowledge of the universe and later, because it had become a matter of faith, they covered up and suppressed anything that might detract from their position. We have the same issue here today with global warming.

Do any of you know who takes global warming as gospel? Lawyers, politicians and anyone with a a bone to pick pertaining to either one of those. True science does not accept and carve into stone anything. True science will continue to question everything..everything and will never eliminate the possibility that right now, in this moment in time, we might not know it all. I don't blame the scientist at NASA, I don't blame the scientist of the IPCC. What we read was not thier reports, it was a summary and cover letter prepared by lawyers and politicians completely ignorant of the research presented and many contributors to both reports were silenced by threats of termination, slander..and maybe worse.

The horrible truth is that a lot of money rides on the acceptance of this theory. Those involved think they will only hurt big oil, and believe me, I'd like nothing better than if that were true. However, as with everything that gets rolling with a good head of steam, those who jump behind the driver's seat are well seasoned for the trip and plan to make the common man their speed bumps as usual.

Climate change is happening, has always happened and will always happen. I'm afraid mankind is along for the ride. I say, lets work on understanding it on a local level first and then we can begin to grasp it on a global scale. Give us a 10 day weather forecast that proves accurate and then I might believe you can one day predict on a global scale for centuries, how about that?

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Here's a very good read for those who haven't seen it. Our warmie friends may want to skip this one......

Manmade Global Warming?

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Here's a very good read for those who haven't seen it. Our warmie friends may want to skip this one.....

Why? A bit of comedic relief from writing a proposal is always welcome.

[edit on 14-6-2007 by melatonin]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join