It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

website help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Hoping to get some answers here. I have a website and for some reason, i cant select text on the page. My cursor just turns into a circle with a line through it. Now i can select text on other sites, and as far as i know i havent put any script in my site that would make it so. The only script i do have on it, is the clock one, and i have looked through that and cant find any part that might be causing this.
If anyone can help, i would appreciate it, cos i dont want to disable people from copying text from my site.

the site is:

GlobalGrey

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I suspect you forgot to close an image tag. Check out your page with the W3 validator.

www.w3.org...

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
thanks but nothing on the W3 site helped. Sure my site had loads of "mistakes", but so did this one :-), and i know from previous experience that these types of errors dont cause this.

And i have only 2 images on my site...so thats not it either.

any more suggestions? (she says hopefully :-))

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
This problem seems to be Browser Specific...

I just checked, it works for me with Firefox...

New Search Rules: Teachers To Frisk Pupils (31/05/2007)
A new law that allows teachers to frisk pupils they suspect of carrying knives without getting the student's consent comes into force today...Read more

source:
www.globalgrey.com...

And I also checked the same page with Internet Explorer. Selecting individual text does not work in Internet Explorer. But if you right click and "Select All", it selects the entire page of text.

Hope this helps to narrow down the cause of your problem, Geek101.

Don't know much about html or php or _javascript, though. I'm more of a VB guy. (but not much more - lol)

I did some comparing in the source, though.

In the line where it says

style type-"type/css"
notice there is no = sign. Seems should be a = there??

ORshould'nt it be..

style type="text/css"
from comparison with another web page source.

or just change the "-" to a "="

[edit on 5/31/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
thanks Mechanic....didnt realise it worked in Firefox, it also works in Opera....the code you pointed out....i have remedied that in one page but it didnt make any difference.
Must be something to do with Internet Explorer then.
Even more puzzled than i was before :-(
thanks for the help anyway

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I pushed it through .NET 2005 and these are the errors it gave me...

Your META Tags must end with "/>" and not just ">".

As Mechanic 32 pointed out, your style tag should be:

style type="text/css"

I can't find a closing DIV tag for the following line:

(Just below the "onload="show_clock()"" line...)

Don't use nested Anchor Tags. I.e. in the line quoted above you use the

Should be:

"title.jpg" alt="Global Grey:News, Articles, Politics, Religion, Conspiracies, Discussion Boards" height="78" width="400" align="middle" border="0" />

Same goes for this line:

> "http://www.awin1.com/cshow.php?s=52120&v=1269&q=40505&r=25274" border="0">

Should be: (Note the extra "/")

> "http://www.awin1.com/cshow.php?s=52120&v=1269&q=40505&r=25274" border="0" />

And this line:

"http://c26.statcounter.com/counter.php?sc_project=2584442&java=0&security=b2b52d43&invisible=0" alt="blog stats" border="0">

Should be: (Note the extra "/")

"http://c26.statcounter.com/counter.php?sc_project=2584442&java=0&security=b2b52d43&invisible=0" alt="blog stats" border="0" />

The "< / a >< / div >" at the end is the missing tags you need at the top...

Note that in HTML your "BR" tag doesn't closing, but in XHTML you need a "/" to close the tag... It's safer to use the "/".

To make this easier, I put the modified page for you here:
HTML File
As well as a text file here:
Source Code - (Right Click and "Save As... If it saves as a HTML just rename it to TXT)

EDIT: Files removed. U2U me if you (or anyone else) need them again.

You'll note that I changed all your references to the full address. This isn't necessary for you to do. I just did it so the page will work properly. I also removed the nonscript Statcounter at the bottom.

You'll find that you can now select the text. Please let me know as soon as you've got the code, I need to remove the files from my site again.

Edit: IMPORTANT: [B]The board hates me using HTML tags, so the code I quote in the post doesn't show properly - better use the Text file.

[edit on 31-5-2007 by Gemwolf]

[edit on 31-5-2007 by Gemwolf]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by geek101
thanks Mechanic....didnt realise it worked in Firefox, it also works in Opera....the code you pointed out....i have remedied that in one page but it didnt make any difference.

Okay then, Gemwolf has done more intensive analysis above this post. ^^

Glad to have helped, even though it was only minor.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Also, I just downloaded an free HTML editor, called PageBreeze..

www.pagebreeze.com...

Maybe this will be useful in helping to troubleshoot this problem, without changing the actual source for your site. At least until the final tweaks are finished.

I checked it out, looks like an interesting little app.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Gemwolf......thanks SO much for that. It was driving me crazy. Have saved the source code....will change it later. Also saved your post so i can keep it for future reference. Thank you again for the time you took on this

and thanks Mechanic for that too...i'll check that out later too

[edit on 31-5-2007 by geek101]

join