It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Evidence of Super Massive Black Hole at the Center of the Milky Way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is video evidence of the super massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way by ESO in 2002

a mass of about 3 million times that of the Sun is concentrated within a radius of only 10 light-days of the compact radio and X-ray source Sagittarius A at the center of the star cluster.

This is a video of a star S2 WHIPPING around the object

pretty cool and its moving extremely fast.

www.eso.org...

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
sorry here is the original news link

www.eso.org...-02-02

"When we included the latest NACO data in our analysis in May 2002, we could not believe our eyes. The star S2 , which is the one currently closest to SgrA*, had just performed a rapid swing-by near the radio source. We suddenly realised that we were actually witnessing the motion of a star in orbit around the central black hole, taking it incredibly close to that mysterious object" , says a very happy Thomas Ott , who is now working in the MPE team on his PhD thesis.

[edit on 30-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Amazing!

I've watched the video a few times now, and that is still all I really have to say.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
COOL!

To bad its not longer....

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
That's really interesting. So when the star sort of accelerates upwards it's being pulled by the black holes gravital force?

[edit on 30-5-2007 by ZikhaN]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Do you have a direct link for the video? Won't play on my computer for some reason, and I really want to see this!

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Try to use the url the video is being played at with Windows Media Player. Just use the option "opene URL" in WMP.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Excellent video!

I saw a similar one in the program "Supermassive Black Holes" program on the Science Channel. If you can catch an enchore presentation, I highly recommend it.

They explained how this video was actually made from individual photographs taken over ten years. You can see the date in the upper left corner and uses something like a star date format from Star Trek. Talk about a long term project.

[edit on 5/30/2007 by Hal9000]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole
Do you have a direct link for the video? Won't play on my computer for some reason, and I really want to see this!

hit the button on the bottom of the page on the left.
It is a direct link but you must agree first at the bottom

here is some more information from the ESO page Surfing a Black Hole

Surfing a Black Hole

Ten years of painstaking measurements have been crowned by a series of unique images obtained by the Adaptive Optics (AO) NAOS-CONICA (NACO) instrument [3] on the 8.2-m VLT YEPUN telescope at the ESO Paranal Observatory. It turns out that earlier this year the star approached the central Black Hole to within 17 light-hours - only three times the distance between the Sun and planet Pluto - while travelling at no less than 5000 km/sec .
www.eso.org...

[edit on 30-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Here is a link to the Science Channel Supermassive black hole show -

www.youtube.com...

top topics

join