It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Edwards "not comfortable around those people"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
He's running for president. Of course folks wanna know what he feels about this issue.

If you know where he's honestly at, at least he's telling you where he's at. He's not bashing anyone. You can't have a dialogue about the issue without facing it head on.

As far as his lawyer practice goes, his career shows he's good at what he puts his mind to. He went after giants, like David vs. Goliath. And there are powerful forces out there who hate him for it. Be careful not to carry their water by misinterpretation.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Hell conservatives like RR think that they should be allowed to use the n word simply because blacks do.... Talk about ignorant and out of touch.

Actually I think that white people using the N word is pretty low class, and I, unlike Robert (KKK) Byrd would never use it. As it is low class for white people to use it, it's just plain stupid for blacks to do the same.

Implying that I, or conservatives in general, think that way IS ignorant and out of touch. But you are a Liberal and I wouldn't expect anything else.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I can't gig him a bit about the living he and his wife have earned. I won't go all class warfare on them. And he didn't make his fortune being a vulture.

As oppossed to being the son of a CIA head and former president who got his money from Daddy laundering it from the NAZI party? I'd give Edwards my liver over a BUSH any day.

Edit: just so people know, I'm gay.

[edit on 5/30/2007 by Griff]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Implying that I, or conservatives in general, think that way IS ignorant and out of touch.

You have a good arguement going here.

But you are a Liberal and I wouldn't expect anything else.

Why did you ruin it by doing the exact same thing you are railing against? Doesn't seam very productive to me.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
john edwards and george W. definitely come from different worlds.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This was a bit suprising to me, but after reading more it shouldn't have been. After all it was his wife and not him that is "not comfortable around those people". Those people being poor ones. **

If Edwards is uncomfortable around gays he should be forced into a real closet in his new home with a Mr. Slave (from south park) type. By coming into contact and gaining first hand experience it will broaden his horizions and he will get some deeper understanding of the gay community.

Substitute x for gay above and you have a basic underpining of liberal philosophy. For him to say this and yet seek the democratic nomination makes him a bigot. A bigoted lawyer for president, oh joy....

** Apparently gun owning. non multimillionaire neighbors scare her highness so much so she felt the need to trash the guy in the news and observer (it's online somewhere shouldnt be hard to find)

Thats why most people dislike politicians, from both parties, as they tend to be the do as I say not as I do type.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Ok Judge Woppner. lol

How do we know the real relationship he/they and their neighbor have?

That guy could be a total liberal hater and deliberately make their lives more miserable.

He did come off as a total redneck in local coverage.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
While it is better that Edwards is honest about his feelings toward gay people rather then being found out to be a liar later on he is probably homophoic but not as much as the Christian Taliban that hijacked the Republican party. I think that Edwards Gay rights voting record would count for more then the comment he made.

I'm a straight guy who is comfortable in the presence of an gay family member. I judge people solely on there personality and actions.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Implying that I, or conservatives in general, think that way IS ignorant and out of touch. But you are a Liberal and I wouldn't expect anything else.

Child... I am anything but ignorant... but considering I have seen quite a few self professed conservatives and Republicans on here (on threads dealing with the Imus mess for one and race as well) argue for the right to use the n word... what do you expect me to think?

Like it or not, the Republican party as it stands today is partly built on racism and homophobia. The party embraced the racism of the dixiecrats as they bolted the Democratic party over civil rights and they (the Republican party) have played the race card whenever they think that they can get away with it... remember John McCain's so called love child with a black prostitute from the 2000 South Carolina primary? That so-called love child is McCain's adopted Bangladeshi daughter. The bush minor team was running scared after getting tromped in the New Hampshire primary, so they played the race card in South Carolina, just like they have done so many times. Remember Willie Horton from the 1988 elections. Dukaksis had nothing to do with getting him released, the parole board did but it didn't stop the Bush senior team from playing the race card. BUT, since it is getting harder and harder to get away with race baiting anymore, gays have taken their place... doesn't matter though, good old fashioned bigotry is at its core.

As for your Robert Byrd comment... people do change ya know.

BTW I have to salute you for saying that using the word is low class and would never use it.

[edit on 31-5-2007 by grover]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

Child... I am anything but ignorant... but considering I have seen quite a few self professed conservatives and Republicans on here (on threads dealing with the Imus mess for one and race as well) argue for the right to use the n word... what do you expect me to think?

Like it or not, the Republican party as it stands today is partly built on racism and homophobia. The party embraced the racism of the dixiecrats as they bolted the Democratic party over civil rights and they (the Republican party) have played the race card whenever they think that they can get away with it... remember John McCain's so called love child with a black prostitute from the 2000 South Carolina primary? That so-called love child is McCain's adopted Bangladeshi daughter. The bush minor team was running scared after getting tromped in the New Hampshire primary, so they played the race card in South Carolina, just like they have done so many times. Remember Willie Horton from the 1988 elections. Dukaksis had nothing to do with getting him released, the parole board did but it didn't stop the Bush senior team from playing the race card. BUT, since it is getting harder and harder to get away with race baiting anymore, gays have taken their place... doesn't matter though, good old fashioned bigotry is at its core.

As for your Robert Byrd comment... people do change ya know.

Where do I start?

Don Imus, who is a liberal, being fired for his remarks was totally proper. The talk of the "n" word was used to show hypocracy of black people. There was no advocacy for the everyday use of it by whites.

Abraham Lincoln was the founder of the Republican Party. Enough said.

Do you think the NAACP would ever endorse people like Clarence Thomas or Condi Rice? Individual success is frowned upon in the black community. They are either called "Uncle Toms", and their achievements are downplayed because they are "acting white".

Willie Horton and Dukakis. This was a great political ad showing the weakness of Democrats on the issue of crime. It was Democrats that used the race card just because Horton happened to be black.

Has Robert Byrd really changed? His "N" word comments only came a few years ago, long after his tenure in the KKK.

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 31-5-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
you must not be informed about Bush's signing papers that would give him extraordinary powers?

There isn't enough time left for him to be able to implement anything.

Hillary will take full advantage of the situation.

If you are worried about a dictator .. worry about whoever is POTUS next. This one doesn't have enough time or clout to pull it off.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Hillary will take full advantage of the situation.

My feelings exactly. The clintons and Bushs have been in bed together for a while now IMO.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Yeah RR and the Democrats were the party of the slave holders. And your point is? Historically the parties have totally flipped their platforms, both of them, not just the Democrats, starting in the late 20's early 30's... your post is meaningless.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
RR and grover, you guys need to get a room. You continue to take this thread off track with stupid political baiting and every time I check in to see how the discussion has progressed or if there's anything new to comment on, I'm reminded why I so often lose interest in potentially good threads lately. Do you remember the topic of this thread???

It's John Edwards' comment about his comfort factor around gay people.

Bah!

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
AND

There are plenty of people who aren't comfortable around gays.
Would you rather he lied and pretended he was their best buds?

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
There is a distinct possibility that Edwards didn't even make the statement in question:

According to Shrum’s book, Edwards, who at the time of the question was running for a seat in the U. S. Senate in 1998’s midterm elections, answered, "I’m not comfortable around those people."

According to the Blade story, Harrison Hickman, pollster for the Edwards camp, has responded to the book’s quotation by saying that Shrum "is sensationalizing and taking out of context" Edwards’ response to the question. The Post article says that Hickman was present in 1998 when Shrum asked Edwards about gay rights; Hickman would seem to affirm this by saying, "I don’t remember anything that expressed any kind of venom or judgment about gay people."

www.edgeboston.com

Frankly, I doubt he said it, mainly because he's an astute politician, besides being a very successful lawyer, neither of which speaks to his integrity, but does establish him as someone who is not likely to make stupid statements in public.

I'd really have to say that there isn't enough evidence to support this claim, but if it makes enough people mad enough to keep him out of the race, then I'm all for it.

[edit on 2007/5/31 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Where do I start?

Don Imus, who is a liberal, being fired for his remarks was totally proper.

Imus is an A double S, plain and simple. To him, I say, good riddance.

Abraham Lincoln was the founder of the Republican Party. Enough said.

If Abe could see what was going on these past 6 or so years, I think he would be deeply disturbed by the depravity and hypocrisy of today's Republican party.

Do you think the NAACP would ever endorse people like Clarence Thomas or Condi Rice? Individual success is frowned upon in the black community.

I have to take issue with this statement b/c I think its incorrect. Or an unfair generalization, at least. I don't know what environment you are in daily, but I can speak for mine. (For the record, I'm middle class white bread.) I live in the city and write for a paper, which is not small, and I work with many talented, skilled and thoroughly professional african americans. Aside from that, here in Charlotte there is a very vibrant and successful african american community. There are always celebrations of achievement, fashion shows and charity benefits going on featuring many of these 'local celebs' in media, business and athletics. i was just looking today at a picture (in scene and heard) of 2 young aa girls being honored for some achievement. So, to be fair, your statement does not reflect what I see day in and day out.

Has Robert Byrd really changed?

People do change.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This "news" is 9 years old? RR what the hell are you wasting our time for on this? Its ancient history in political terms.

As for Condi Rice, no one has ever claimed that she is not accomplished... I however assert, based on results, she is ineffectual as sec. of state and race has nothing to do with it.

As for Clarence Thomas, race has everything to do with it. Bush senior needed a black lawyer to take Thurgood Marshall's place on the Supreme court, a conservative black man and he settled on Clarence Thomas (whom according to the National Bar who rates judical candidates, was unqualified for the job) after the Robert Bork nomination blew up in his face. Whether Thomas was or was not qualified is moot, he's in there now but based on his record in terms of rulings, he is no Thurgood Marshall and is more a follower than a leader.

As for John Edwards time will tell whether he can make it to the convention and further on, but based on his personal record, like his politics or not, he is a good man and is totally undeserving of the type of smears you seem to delight in.

BTW you really should look up what liberal means, especially in terms of politics, the way you bandy it about makes me think you haven't a clue about it.

One last thing... I personally know quite a few very accomplished black folk in my area and they are to a person, the salt of the earth and I have never heard any other blacks speak bad of them. One specifically is 80 now, owns the only black newspaper in these parts and in her twilight years is a privately funding a much needed community center in the poorest section of town to reach out and try and be a positive influence on the youth there.

[edit on 31-5-2007 by grover]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but the saddest thing about Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell too, is they has so much promise. They were Effing great and a credit to their race blah blah blah blah... but they got caught up in the game and they got eaten by it. Now we look back on them and think, they were nothing but sellouts.:shk:

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join