It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

something i think about a lot/dinosaurs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
so im hoping this is the right category anyway if not sorry about that..

So I always think about the dinosaurs/the bible story.
if god made all living things how come there is no talk about dinosaurs in the bible? they say dinosaurs came before humans. whats the deal with that? i havent read the whole bible but i dont remember any mention of dinosaurs

but hey correct me if i am wrong. just wanted to know what the explanation is for that.

ps.
i love dinosaurs!

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The bible is about God's relationship with humans, dinosaurs having lived prior to humans are not relevant to that relationship.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
so he didnt create all living things?

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBadge

well... there's the crazy scientific theory around called evolution. it's supported by all these facts and shows that everything ended up evolving from other lifeforms.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
You speak craziness!! It's MADNESS!!!! MAAAADDNNEEESSSS!!! oh look a quarter!

My personal belief is the Bible shows the best/worst in mankind. And also it has been listed and revised MANY times to be used as a form of control. It's something that as the "word of God" I cannot believe anymore.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
A lot of stuff was kelpt out of the bible because people back then didn't know what they were, especially dinosaurs. You would have to look at the original writings in hebrew to find out more info. The dead sea scrolls were one of the ancient bibles found, and it talked about God creating other beings besides humans. It could be aliens and dinosaurs don't u think.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   

It's irrelevant whether or not He created dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are not relevant to God's relationship with humans, which is what the bible is about.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kallikak
It's irrelevant whether or not He created dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are not relevant to God's relationship with humans, which is what the bible is about.

then that is one messed up book. seriously, if that's the whole point then what's with the several commands for genoicde against non-believers?

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AbitTweaked

My personal belief is the Bible shows the best/worst in mankind. And also it has been listed and revised MANY times to be used as a form of control. It's something that as the "word of God" I cannot believe anymore.

word i agree!!!

well i mean then to me it just throws out the whole significance of the bible. dinosaurs matter to me. makes evolution more plausable rather than god being like okay lets create. with his hands

im one of those god is energy type of ladies.

[edit on 29-5-2007 by TheBadge]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
then that is one messed up book. seriously, if that's the whole point then what's with the several commands for genoicde against non-believers?

And this relates to dinosaurs in the bible how?

Well this is off-topic, but given your posting habits, I guess you can't resist the opportunity to engage in a little bit of bible-bashing.

There are no such general commands for "genocide against unbelievers," though I do understand you 18-22 year olds like to paint that picture. There are specific commands with respect to God's judgement against certain groups of people at a given time, such as the Canaanites; that is God exercised His judgement against certain groups of people at certain times, but there are no 'commands to commit genocide against unbelievers' in a general way. That is the commands to slay a certain group of people at a certain time don't extend past that time, nor do they continue to other groups of people. But again, I know you can't resist the opportunity to say such things.

Did you have anything useful to add to the discussion?

[edit on 29-5-2007 by kallikak]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The Bible is allegory. it was written by men, inspired by the word of God and is rife with symbology and parable.

Adam and Eve represent man and woman, Cain and Able, the first war between tribes, etc.

Yes, the Earth is older than Creationists say it is, but that does not have to negate the theory of Theistic Evolution, i.e. that God created the world and everything in it evolved from God's original design. Including Great Lizards.
Which I am sure were on the ark with the other 47,894,245,670,028 species of animal. (do nto quote me on the number, lol)

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AbitTweaked

Well again, this is completely off topic, but whatever.

Completely and utterly untrue. The Bible in fact has not 'been revised' many times, and actually exhibits a remarkable degree of coherence given all the texts we have available. If this 'revision' has occured "many times," you should be able to point out multiple instances where earlier and later texts disagree. So let's have it. Where are these lists of multiple inconsistencies between earlier and later texts. Where are the revisions listed. Let's have 'em and we can sort 'em out here.

well i mean then to me it just throws out the whole significance of the bible. dinosaurs matter to me. makes evolution more plausable rather than god being like okay lets create. with his hands

Evolution has nothing to do with the Bible. I am one the one hand a firm believer in Christianity, and on the other hand a practicing scientist who happens to believe in evolution. The two are hardly incompatible. And just for the sake of discussion, I was an atheist for years and years. My training as a scientist comes prior to my conversion to Christianity. IOW, I was a believer in science before I was a believer in Christ.

im one of those god is energy type of ladies.

Well you're certainly entitled to believe whatever you wish, but like I said there is simply no reason to mention dinosaurs in the Bible. Are you getting all worked up that the Bible doesn't mention mushrooms in the Bible? I like mushrooms, why aren't they there?

They're not their because they have nothing to do with God's relationship to His chosen people, the Israelites, nor do they have to do with the conversion of Gentiles, thus they're not present. The subject matter of any text has to be limited to the relevant material.

Though it's becoming clear that your question was less of one that you were actually concerned about getting an answer to, and more about your desire to 'bash Christianity' or Judaism.

There are many things not contained in the Bible, and again it's because they're not relevant to the topic at hand, specifically God's relationship with humanity.

[edit on 29-5-2007 by TheBadge]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Yes, the Earth is older than Creationists say it is,

The Bible says nothing about the age of the Earth. YEC's have attempted to turn the Bible into something that it is not, specifically a scientific text. For the fifth time in this thread, the Bible is a book about God's relationship with humanity. To attempt to extract further information from it is ill-conceived at best. FYI, there is an entire brand of Creationism that accepts the scientifically determined age of the Earth, and doesn't dispute this. Indeed, historically the idea of a 'young Earth' is a relatively recent development in Christianity. IOW, for the most part believers haven't necessarily believed in a 'young Earth.'

but that does not have to negate the theory of Theistic Evolution, i.e. that God created the world and everything in it evolved from God's original design. Including Great Lizards.

Correct. The Bible is not a scientific text, and should not be interpreted as such.

Which I am sure were on the ark with the other 47,894,245,670,028 species of animal. (do nto quote me on the number, lol)

Actually, many interpretations of the flood story subscribe to 'local' flood theories. The idea of a global flood is simply due to bad translations of the original Hebrew texts, and not understanding the context in which said texts were written. There are loads of texts in support of this idea, and it's a relatively popular topic among apologists.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   

so im hoping this is the right category anyway if not sorry about that..

So I always think about the dinosaurs/the bible story.
if god made all living things how come there is no talk about dinosaurs in the bible? they say dinosaurs came before humans. whats the deal with that? i havent read the whole bible but i dont remember any mention of dinosaurs

but hey correct me if i am wrong. just wanted to know what the explanation is for that.

ps.
i love dinosaurs!

Well thats just the same as, how come god didnt mention Rhinos, or Zebras, or even goldfish, probably because its not needed. It would be odd, like there are many things that have gone extinct except dinosaurs, why would god specificly mention dinosaurs when there are so many other animals to mention. Theres no need.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   

And this relates to dinosaurs in the bible how?

i'm just stating that your assertion that the bible is merely a story about god's interaction with humanity is flawed in a vague and roundabout fashion.

There are no such general commands for "genocide against unbelievers,"

...tell that to the middianites, the hittites, and the jebusites (no, i didn't make that last one up)

though I do understand you 18-22 year olds like to paint that picture. There are specific commands with respect to God's judgement against certain groups of people at a given time, such as the Canaanites; that is God exercised His judgement against certain groups of people at certain times, but there are no 'commands to commit genocide against unbelievers' in a general way.

either way, IT'S STILL GENOCIDE

That is the commands to slay a certain group of people at a certain time don't extend past that time,

well, if you wipe out an entire civilization what's the point in a perpetuating command?

nor do they continue to other groups of people. But again, I know you can't resist the opportunity to say such things.

and you just defended the comitting of several genocides

....wait....

sure:
dinosaurs aren't in the bible because they were long extinct. they had been extinct for over 64 million years by the time the bible was written

and the bible isn't exactly reliable for... well, science.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
damn i don't think some of you understand what im trying to get at . maybe i am typing it out wrong or something. or its just hard to explain?

if the earth is gods earth then he made the dinosaurs since i guess he allegedly created all living things plants and stuff included. well the dinosaurs seem like an important part of it all since they ruled the world at one point. anyway why WOULDN'T the bible mention them? it claims there was darkness and no light and all that jazz and no life. so it sounds like its trying to pull off nothing lived on earth till god came around and made it happen. damn i wish i could speak this out rather than type hahaha

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i'm just stating that your assertion that the bible is merely a story about god's interaction with humanity is flawed in a vague and roundabout fashion.

No. The Bible is a book about God's interaction with Humanity. Part of God's interaction with humanity is judging humanity.

There are no such general commands for "genocide against unbelievers,"

...tell that to the middianites, the hittites, and the jebusites (no, i didn't make that last one up)

Exactly what I said. Specific judgements against specific people at specific times, not a broad based order to 'commit genocide on unbelievers,' which is what you said.

though I do understand you 18-22 year olds like to paint that picture. There are specific commands with respect to God's judgement against certain groups of people at a given time, such as the Canaanites; that is God exercised His judgement against certain groups of people at certain times, but there are no 'commands to commit genocide against unbelievers' in a general way.

either way, IT'S STILL GENOCIDE

It's a specific judgement against a specific group of people at a specific time, and it has nothing to do with being a general command to commit genocide against unbelievers. Specific people, specific place, specific time.

That is the commands to slay a certain group of people at a certain time don't extend past that time,

well, if you wipe out an entire civilization what's the point in a perpetuating command?

Look, the point is that there is no general command to wipe out unbelievers as you stated. God gave the command the wipe out specific people in a specific place, at a specific time.

nor do they continue to other groups of people. But again, I know you can't resist the opportunity to say such things.

and you just defended the comitting of several genocides

....wait....

Actually, I never discussed the morality of it. I merely corrected your factually incorrect statement that the Bible orders genocide against unbelievers. It doesn't. For the tenth time in a single page. Those were specific judgements against specific people at a specific time, not a broad based order to slay unbelievers. That's another book; perhaps you have them confused.

sure:
dinosaurs aren't in the bible because they were long extinct. they had been extinct for over 64 million years by the time the bible was written

Exactly. Dinosaurs aren't relevant to God's relationship with humanity. They weren't around when humans were and thus, they don't appear in the Bible, which is exactly what I've been saying in this thread. Thanks for backing me up.

and the bible isn't exactly reliable for... well, science.
Funny. If you've bothered to read my posts in this thread, I've been saying exactly the same thing. Again, I appreciate your support.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   

No. The Bible is a book about God's interaction with Humanity. Part of God's interaction with humanity is judging humanity.

except for those parts where god isn't present at all... as in everything between the last gospel and revelation.

Exactly what I said. Specific judgements against specific people at specific times, not a broad based order to 'commit genocide on unbelievers,' which is what you said.

well, it doesn't necessarily say "let's go kill the unbelievers" but the commandment to not kill people didn't apply to them.

It's a specific judgement against a specific group of people at a specific time, and it has nothing to do with being a general command to commit genocide against unbelievers. Specific people, specific place, specific time.

BUT IT'S STILL GENOCIDE.

Look, the point is that there is no general command to wipe out unbelievers as you stated. God gave the command the wipe out specific people in a specific place, at a specific time.

then god is definitely worse than hitler.

Actually, I never discussed the morality of it. I merely corrected your factually incorrect statement that the Bible orders genocide against unbelievers. It doesn't. For the tenth time in a single page. Those were specific judgements against specific people at a specific time, not a broad based order to slay unbelievers.

actually, it was a broad-based attack against anyone that lived on this specific strip of land....

That's another book; perhaps you have them confused.

leviticus?

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I would say that there are parts of the Bible that you could interpret as possibly being dinosaur related.

Behemoth Job 40:15-24

It “eats grass like an ox.”
It “moves his tail like a cedar.”
Its “bones are like beams of bronze,
His ribs like bars of iron.”
“He is the first of the ways of God.”
“He lies under the lotus trees,
In a covert of reeds and marsh.”

Leviathan Job chapter 41, Psalm 104:25,26 and Isaiah 27:1

No one is so fierce that he would dare stir him up.”

“Who can open the doors of his face, with his terrible teeth all around?”

“His rows of scales are his pride, shut up tightly as with a seal; one is so near another that no air can come between them; they are joined one to another, they stick together and cannot be parted.”

“His sneezings flash forth light, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning. Out of his mouth go burning lights; sparks of fire shoot out. Smoke goes out of his nostrils, as from a boiling pot and burning rushes. His breath kindles coals, and a flame goes out of his mouth.”

“Though the sword reaches him, it cannot avail; nor does spear, dart, or javelin. He regards iron as straw, and bronze as rotten wood. The arrow cannot make him flee; slingstones become like stubble to him. Darts are regarded as straw; he laughs at the threat of javelins.”

“On earth there is nothing like him, which is made without fear.”

Leviathan is a “reptile [a] that is in the sea.” (Isaiah 27:1)

There are also many passages that talk about great dragons. dinosaurs could be seen as great dragons.

[edit on 29-5-2007 by zerotime]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   

damn i don't think some of you understand what im trying to get at . maybe i am typing it out wrong or something. or its just hard to explain?

Perhaps I don't understand what you're getting at. We can try again.

if the earth is gods earth then he made the dinosaurs since i guess he allegedly created all living things plants and stuff included.

Agreed thus far.

well the dinosaurs seem like an important part of it all since they ruled the world at one point.

Perhaps. I'm sure they were important to Him on some level. Since I'm not God, I can't really say what their specific importance to Him was.

anyway why WOULDN'T the bible mention them?

Okay... let's try this again. As madness pointed out, dinosaurs and humans did not coexist. They lived in completely different eras, separated by millions of years. Dinosaurs and humans didn't interact; dinosaurs didn't know about humans, and humans didn't know about dinosaurs. Given that the Bible is about God's relationship with humanity, why would they be discussed? I don't see the Bible talking about humanities ancestors either, and the reason, I assume is because they are not relevant to God's relationship with humanity. When I write a paper about protein-protein interactions, I am unlikely to discuss DNA or RNA. Certainly DNA, RNA, and Proteins share a relationship, but they're not relevant to the topic being discussed. If your teacher asked you to write a paper about the economics of slavery, would you discuss man's ancestor's? Of course not. Why not? Because it's out of the scope of the topic.

it claims there was darkness and no light and all that jazz and no life. so it sounds like its trying to pull off nothing lived on earth till god came around and made it happen. damn i wish i could speak this out rather than type hahaha

Correct, but that information is entirely relevant to God's relationship with humanity. It's part of the story with respect to the origins of life on earth. That is God created the universe, Earth, and subsequently all creatures, but it doesn't contain an exhaustive listing of creatures. Man's origins are important to man and it makes sense to discuss them. There are loads of things left out of the Bible specifically because they're not relevant to man's interaction with God. For that matter, it's not like the Bible mentions every single animal in existence during biblical times. It simply discusses those that were somehow relevant then. Dinosaurs, having been extinct for millions of years were not particularly relevant. Buffalo, for example almost certainly existed in Biblical times, but since they don't exist in the Middle East, the setting of the Bible, they're not relevant and simply not mentioned. Make sense?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join