It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis: The Bush take on U.S. opinion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Analysis: The Bush take on U.S. opinion

www.usatoday.com

Confronted with strong opposition to his Iraq policies, President Bush decides to interpret public opinion his own way. Actually, he says, people agree with him.

"This is a very tricky thing in our politics. We want to think that we want our leaders to stand up to public opinion. But we also like to think of ourselves as being in a democracy where we are listened to," Fields said. "He risks either the notion of being thought out of touch ... or to be thought simply duplicitous."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
How about all of the above?

This really takes the cake. First the president says he ignores opinion polls, now he is deciding they have meaning in direct contradiction to their results.

To me, that is moving from being out in left field to being up in the bleachers, way up in the nosebleed section somewhere.

I pray for our president, that he will humble himself before God, ask forgiveness, and repent.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I think the president opinion when it comes to polls and public response to his dealings with the nations are blatantly falling in dictatorship.

He is the leader and By God he will do what he feels he should do.

Actually very arrogant.
He doesn't answer to anybody but himslef.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If this doesn't motivate you to write letters and e-mail to Congress, I doubt that anything will. If you're looking for a reason to act, I think you just found it. If we don't put the brakes on now, we'll only get more of this from the next President. No, that's not a typo. I said, we'll get more of this from the next President...even if that is Hillary. Use that phone, fax, e-mail and snail-mail while you still can.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Well as far as I can tell, unless bush minor appoints himself the decider for life, the next president will either be a Democrat or a Democrat. Given bush minor's approval ratings at 28% and the war even less popular, the fact that the entire field of Republican candidates except Ron Paul, pretty are much towing to party line on Iraq, shows how out of touch they are with the majority of voters as well.

The one thing the 06 elections were, is a shot across the bow for the Republican party but it is one both parties should pay close attention to because 08 is going to be about... no more business as usual. People want change and getting things done and until the Republicans can prove that they are not simply a bunch of reactionaries but actually have something positive to bring to the table, they are going to keep losing seats.

And if the Democrats don't heed this... we really will see third (and fourth and fifth) parties forming and having a viable chance at power. Which won't not be bad if they have a chance of winning, but become one more way to divide and conquer, if they don't.

[edit on 29-5-2007 by grover]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
The man is insane. Clearly the American public is not in agreement with GW at all and yet he 'believes' people do agree with him. Out of touch just doesn't encompass his total lack of understanding. There does need to be a major campaign to let him know just how wrong he is. As for 2008 I'm not so sure. Look at the last two presidential elections both were 'fixed' clearly letting the 2006 election appear normal was just to have people relax their vigilance. Rove will stop at nothing to get his man elected, who that may be at this time is unknown, but the firing of the 8 prosecutors was because they would not go after Democrats for voter fraud. The fact that there really was not any fraud doesn't matter. The point is when Rove says black is white no one has ever corrected him in the past. 'They' will stop at nothing to gain control and implement the plan and apparently they have the backing to do it

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
From what I have read the Rovian plan for 08 is to try and pawn this war off on the Democrats, as if the mess is all their fault. Thing is people know better, and if they don't they should... this war is a Republican fiasco and specifically a Bush/Cheney/Rice/Rumsfeld disaster and the responsibility lays directly in their laps and no one else's.

If the American people forget the realities of this... then they deserve whatever leader they get, they have relinquished the number one criteria for a free and democratic people and that is of an educated and informed electorate.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I know I'm supposed to contribute to the discussion here, but I don't really have much to add. I agree with the responses made so far, and I don't have an answer as to how we get GW's attention and convince him to change course and acknowledge our reality.

Its like watching a gigantic train wreck in slow motion; I'm aghast and desperate, but I feel helpless to change the outcome.

So, I just pray to God that He will use me somehow to help straighten things out.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
I agree with the responses made so far, and I don't have an answer as to how we get GW's attention and convince him to change course and acknowledge our reality.

Its like watching a gigantic train wreck in slow motion; I'm aghast and desperate, but I feel helpless to change the outcome.

So, I just pray to God that He will use me somehow to help straighten things out.

Don't know how old you are.

Don't know how much history you know, or remember.

Don't know if it would work again, or if the Powers That Be would unleash horrors more terrible than 9/11 if they felt threatened.

But the last time a President refused to hear the true Voice Of The People raised in opposition to an on-going, and seemingly endless, unwinnable and unpopular war...

The People took to the streets.

And they stayed in the streets, until the now unpopular President, was forced to hear them.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I'm 43.

And I say we take to the streets, and stay there until the nation changes course, or we all end up in detention centers.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I think the president opinion when it comes to polls and public response to his dealings with the nations are blatantly falling in dictatorship.

He is the leader and By God he will do what he feels he should do.

Actually very arrogant.
He doesn't answer to anybody but himslef.

actually he is the Decider

new topics

top topics

join