It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westerners 'abducted in Baghdad'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Westerners 'abducted in Baghdad'

news.bbc.co.uk

A number of Westerners have reportedly been kidnapped from a finance ministry building in central Baghdad.

There is confusion over the number and nationality of those involved.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The Latest number from BBC News 24 is that there were 5 Britons and 1 German citizen taken.

There may have been disguised kidnappers involved, according to latest news.

This is terrible.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
its probably linked to the G8 summit that is taking place very soon, i think its a month or two away.

COBRA (government emergency group) are currently meeting and there is an anti-hostage taskforce that the UK has. Its a committee, apart of COBRA, that will try to establish contact with the group.

Apparently, its security guards that have been taken, who are made up of ex-soldiers. Thats according to the BBC.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It seems that the Iraqi police was somehow involved in this abduction, either from stolen vehicles and equipment, or direct action:

Witnesses said it was carried out by what appeared to be a police unit.

The street was sealed off at both ends and the kidnappers, in police camouflage uniforms, walked straight past guards at the finance ministry building on Palestine Street, the witnesses said.

It is well known that the Iraqi police are heavily infiltrated by militia groups, leading to split loyalties and corruption, our correspondent says.

Well, if this is how they did it, that can't bode well for the situation at all.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I would hope that they were waring stolen uniforms(which has happened in the past)rather than the alternative.That authentic police were somehow involved.In whichever case the safety of the hostages will be on my mind today.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I don't think thats much of a possibility considering this, it would seem to be at least partly from corrupt cops:

Witnesses and sources told the BBC that the kidnappers wore police uniforms and arrived in up to 40 police vehicles.

new topics

top topics

join