It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian pub bars heterosexuals

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Australian pub bars heterosexuals

news.bbc.co.uk

A gay pub in the city of Melbourne has won the right to ban heterosexuals - the first time such legislation has been passed in Australia.

The Victorian state civil and administrative tribunal ruled the Peel Hotel could ban patrons based on their sexual orientation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Now, I don't know about you, but if I was to open a bar and ban certain people, would it be supported? and would it be legal. That is the main question here.

The ban came about because homosexuals wanted to relax in places without fear of bullying or intimidation. But wouldn't a ban backfire? I'm thinking it has the potential to make the problem even worse.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
thats unreal they protest for years about being treated equal etc then they start there own little hate gang...they should do a tour of russia right now they would be welcomed there..right said fred....lol

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
well, I think its unfair but I don't think they should go to Russia and get attacked for being gay. Lets not go to extremes.

The question here is this, lets say another group, religious/ethnic/whatever, wanted to do the same thing. Banning an opposite from a social center, would it be allowed to pass?

This could explode if this was denied to someone else.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Yes I heard them interview the owner on an Australia Government owned radio station (alternative would you believe) called JJJ on their program called Hack.

The owner of the nightclub was concerned that the gay men were being targeted by heterosexual homophobes - bullying and teasing. He suggested he wanted to provide a safer environment for his patrons to relax in.

Any non gay or lesbian (which btw, appears to summarize, in part, the female gender) are -generally- not admitted (with exceptions?) to the premises.

Whilst the owner suggested it would reduce sales (especially at the bar), another interviewee (cannot remember who he was) suggested it provided a special niche' in the market (one other club has the same in Victoria I heard, can anyone verify this?).

This is what I heard on the radio station. It appears from my perspective he is just making a bit of a controversy to attract more attention to his establishment.

Take care and peace,
- Naz

[edit on 28-5-2007 by nazgarn]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by nazgarn
This is what I heard on the radio station. It appears from my perspective he is just making a bit of a controversy to attract more attention to his establishment.

Thank you very much

I still feel this has the potential to backfire.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
My 2 cents on this:
Equality is a great thing, special rights to minorities is not.

If you give gays the right to be racist against non gays, then regular bars should be able to deny entrance to gays. Fair play.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
My 2 cents on this:
Equality is a great thing, special rights to minorities is not.

If you give gays the right to be racist against non gays, then regular bars should be able to deny entrance to gays. Fair play.

You are making quite a good point.

special rights is dangerous. its throwing petrol at the fire. as i said, this has to be legal for all groups now. you cannot be seen as given special favours to the gay community but not to anyone else.

its dangerous.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Is it just me or does anybody else find it slightly funny that this thread about a Gay bar has an advert with a semi-nude guy running down the right hand side?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Is it just me or does anybody else find it slightly funny that this thread about a Gay bar has an advert with a semi-nude guy running down the right hand side?

LMFAO!!!

I just noticed that as you posted it.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

Maybe, the advert keyword pickeruperer picks up the word gay and displays a relevant picture? Who knows.....

Ouch.

Also, I agree with Northwolf. It should (most likely won't) be fair for certain clubs not to admit gays as is the other way around. Otherwise it would be quite unjust. Then again I doubt it would happen.

- Naz

[edit on 28-5-2007 by nazgarn]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Why not put police on the door?

that would be much easier then banning heterosexuals and would be less controversial

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Now, I don't know about you, but if I was to open a bar and ban certain people, would it be supported? and would it be legal. That is the main question here.

I believe that if the club remains a private club, that they can limit membership. At least that's how it works here in the US (or at least it used to work that way).

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I believe that if the club remains a private club, that they can limit membership. At least that's how it works here in the US (or at least it used to work that way).

Unless they are planning to introduce private membership, but I don't think they are. Private paid membership would help to cool the controversy.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by nazgarn

The owner of the nightclub was concerned that the gay men were being targeted by heterosexual homophobes - bullying and teasing. He suggested he wanted to provide a safer environment for his patrons to relax in.[\quote]

From what I understand from my gay friends , not only was there an element of homophobes , you had women going there for their hens night and using the gay guys as some kind of " entertainment". One of my friends mentioned to me once that a bunch of hens once tried to pay him to kiss someone...... I mean would you do that in a straight club? It's a club not a zoo.

Any non gay or lesbian (which btw, appears to summarize, in part, the female gender) are -generally- not admitted (with exceptions?) to the premises.[\quote]

Utter rubbish. I'm not gay but have been there many times with my gay friends.

Whilst the owner suggested it would reduce sales (especially at the bar), another interviewee (cannot remember who he was) suggested it provided a special niche' in the market (one other club has the same in Victoria I heard, can anyone verify this?).[\quote] yes that is correct. Why you'd want to go to THAT club if you werent a gay male is beyond me. And every gay male I know doesnt want to go there either.

[edit on 28-5-2007 by mulberryblueshimmer]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This is actually smart legal maneuvering imho, creating a precedent that'll have longreaching impact.

If they let a gay bar ban heterosexuals first, it paves the way to let other public places ban homosexuals and other people based on sexual orientation with ease, leaving the targetted group no defence because one of their groups created the precedent that'll be used to exclude them.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
If they let a gay bar ban heterosexuals first, it paves the way to let other public places ban homosexuals and other people based on sexual orientation with ease, leaving the targetted group no defence because one of their groups created the precedent that'll be used to exclude them.

Its dangerous.
Creating separation along sexual lines or even ethnic lines (could happen) is dangerous. What happens if Australian White Nationalists turn around and what non-Whites banned from a bar?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Why can't they just boot anyone from the club that is causing trouble in the first place? Do the police refuse to arrest people that become a physical threat inside the bar?

About 8 years back, there was this one club that made the cover cheaper to get in if you were gay. Most people simply stopped going there, because some of us were assumed to be straight and had to pay the higher cover, or our friends that were with us were indeed straight. It didn't seem quite right for them to pay more.

This does nothing to heal old wounds, imo. It only deepens a rift that was finally beginning to close a bit in many parts of the world. I see know reason why straight people couldn't go to a gay bar. This reminds me of the upset in the Castro District in San Francisco over the fact that many straight people are moving into a "gay zone." Coexistence and acceptance doesn't happen if you cut yourself off from everyone else.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
Why can't they just boot anyone from the club that is causing trouble in the first place? Do the police refuse to arrest people that become a physical threat inside the bar?

exactly,
thats what I was thinking. By placing a ban, which is legal under law, is asking for more trouble if you ask me. It solves nothing.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
If you give gays the right to be racist against non gays

How does racism relate to homosexuality?

Homosexuality is not a race.

sanc

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join