It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critical Care Without Consent: FDA Approves New Consentless Trauma Research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Critical Care Without Consent FDA Approves New Trauma Study

www.washingtonpost.com

The federal government is undertaking the most ambitious set of studies ever mounted under a controversial arrangement that allows researchers to conduct some kinds of medical experiments without first getting patients' permission.

The $50 million, five-year project, which will involve more than 20,000 patients in 11 sites in the United States and Canada, is designed to improve treatment after car accidents, shootings, cardiac arrest and other emergencies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/27/07 by FredT]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This has often been a heated discussion here on ATS regarding the legal and ethical issues regarding using non concented trauma patietns for research. The argument being that for the study to be relevant, there is no time for consent to be attained.

The cities in the trial (which includes Canada BTW) are Seattle, Portland, San Diego, Dallas, Birmingham, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Toronto and Ottawa, and in Iowa and British Columbia.

Its going to look at the use if hypertonic saline for head injuries in an effort to minimize brain swelling and damage.

The funny thing is that when I started my PICU job well over 13 years ago this is what we did. We went away from it and now its back and we have been using 3% saline for a few years now in Pediatrics. But for peds, you have more flexability because very few things are approved or FDA sanctioned in our population so you are "off lable" most of the time anyway. (It also seems to work BTW)

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/27/07 by FredT]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I have a problem with this, especially the part where it says they can conduct medical experiments without consent.

Sure, this might be for specific things now, but what about down the road? How long before they allow any kind of "experiment" without consent?

Our own troops were used unknowingly during the 60's for medical experiments that included the affects of habit-forming drugs.

Then there's the religious side as well. Some religions don't allow anything to be done, consent or not.

I see this being a big liability for hospitals and doctors.

new topics

join