It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The religion of skepticism and U.F.O.'s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think many skeptics are devout in their skepticism. They have a set of preconcieved beliefs and they use skepticism as an excuse to try and debunk things that run contrary to their belief system. This is just what happens in religious debates. A religion will try to show why another religion is incorrect in order to show that there religion is the right one. In this case the skeptic has "NO" evidence to support their position.

In ufology you have both circumstantial and direct evidence. You have direct evidence from eyewitness accounts from Presidents, military, pilots, police officers, astronauts, high ranking government officials and more. You have circumstantial evidence with cave paintings, paintings, ancient manuscripts, pictures and video. The skeptic has nothing on the other side of the debate except third party heresay. They will have you believe that all these credible witnesses are mistaken. Even though they were no where near these things when they occured we are supposed to accept their word over everything else. This is all they have. It reminds me of something Alfred Russel Wallece said. A biologist who helped Darwin with Natural selection and who also believed in spiritualism and mediums:

I thus learnt my first great lesson in the inquiry into these obscure fields of knowledge, never to accept the disbelief of great men or their accusations of imposture or of imbecility, as of any weight when opposed to the repeated observation of facts by other men, admittedly sane and honest. The whole history of science shows us that whenever the educated and scientific men of any age have denied the facts of other investigators on a priori grounds of absurdity or impossibility, the deniers have always been wrong. End quote

All these credible witnesses are wrong because the skeptic says so. That just doesn't make any sense and is very illogical. You put a skeptic on TV and say he has PhD next to his name and he says there's no credible evidence for U.F.O.'s this will give people an out especially if he uses the term little green men and he's just reassuring what some people already believe. Some skeptics have to be tied to a belief system in order for there arguements to make any sense. If ufology was a scientific theory that didn't include another intelligence it would be widely accepted. Skeptics have to show a credible alternative to ufology. There's no other explanation that makes any sense unless your appealing to your belief system that doesn't accept these things as possabilities. You can debunk a picture here or a video there but you can't debunk ufology as a whole because the evidence is overwhelming. Were not talking about eyewitness accounts from people in an insane asylum, were talking about extremely credible witnesses. This alone is enough to prove ufology but then you add in the circumstantial evidence and CASE CLOSED.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
People generally do not like to step outside their comfort zones.
It is uncomfortable for individuals to go against the religions that have been handed down for generations.
And it uncomfortable to go against the age old belief that Ufos do not exist, and if you think that they do, you will be a social outcast, a heathen, a demon lover, a whack job wing nut. To think any differently is certain public excommunication.
However I have to say without the skeptics, we would have never come so far in the fields of Ufology and exopolitics. They can get over zealous for sure but without them it would be a soupy quagmire of disbelief. There is a balance in all things.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
While I will agree with your premise to a point, I would also add that there is an equal, if not greater, amount of this "religious fervor" in the "true believer" camp as well.

I look at it like this, there is a percentage of people on BOTH sides of the issue that are "fanatics". Fanatics are never going to change their perspective period.

I, like you, am interested in the study of "Aliens/UFOs" because of the direct testimony of HIGHLY CREDIBLE people who have NOTHING to gain and everything to lose.

I am skeptical because of all the hoaxes I've seen and many of these "cases" are simply pitiful, sloppy attempts at attention garnering.

That being said, I look at every case with an open mind and the HOPE that it is genuine. The first thing I do is employ critical thought and seek ways to define, explain or otherwise understand the case.

Once that has been exhausted I get excited, like the recent O'Hare incident, it simply DEFIES explanation based on the data available.

Springer...

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I would like to add that any belief that cannot be proven (not even to oneself through personal experience) is representative of a faith-based religion.

In light of this, those who attempt to discredit and debunk evidence - including anecdotal evidence - of the existence of UFOs and extraterrestrials and who cannot prove that UFOs and aliens do not exist, are representative of a religion based on faith (some would say prejudice).

Thus you have the faith-based religion of extraterrestrial skepticism.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by polomontana
I think many skeptics are devout in their skepticism. .... In this case the skeptic has "NO" evidence to support their position.

I must take exception with this characterization of skepticism. I hear this a lot - that skepticism or science are religions like any other religion. But this opinion comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of what skepticism (and science) are. Skeptics, if they're being good skeptics, HAVE no belief about a particular thing. That is, not without substantial and convincing evidence. Until then, we withhold belief in the thing in question. Take the whole alien/UFO visiting Earth belief. That's a belief YOU have as a UFO believer. It is FALSE to claim that I believe the opposite and therefore my belief is just as religious as yours. You see, I don't believe that aliens are NOT visiting earth. I simply lack a *positive* belief that they ARE visiting Earth. YOU are the devout believer.

As for science, science is a method of getting at the truth. It's just a tool, not another religion. And it's proven to be more reliable than the old methods (religion). It's not infallible, just MUCH more likely to be correct on any given question that's scientifically answerable.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I want to add one of my favorite statements that I credit to my friend and world class digital imaging expert David Biedny,

I don't want to believe ANYTHING, I want to KNOW.

Springer...

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paul_Richard
I would like to add that any belief that cannot be proven (not even to oneself through personal experience) is representative of a faith-based religion.

In light of this, those who attempt to discredit and debunk evidence - including anecdotal evidence - of the existence of UFOs and extraterrestrials and who cannot prove that UFOs and aliens do not exist, are representative of a religion based on faith (some would say prejudice).

Thus you have the faith-based religion of extraterrestrial skepticism.

Excellent post!!

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
I want to add one of my favorite statements that I credit to my friend and world class digital imaging expert David Biedny,

I don't want to believe ANYTHING, I want to KNOW.

Springer...

You can "know" beyond any reasonable doubt. There's mountains of evidence both circumstantial and direct that supports ufology. You can debunk a photo or video but that doesn't change ufology as a whole just like debunking a theory in biology wouldn't discredit the field of biology. On what basis do skeptics deny ufology? Where's the evidence? There's none. You will have hoaxes with just about anything but that doesn't cancel out credible evidence. That's like saying the because you have a few fossil remains that were hoaxes that evolution didn't happen.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by polomontana
You can debunk a photo or video but that doesn't change ufology as a whole just like debunking a theory in biology wouldn't discredit the field of biology. On what basis do skeptics deny ufology? Where's the evidence?

Who ever said skeptics "deny Ufology"?!
That's absurd.

I assure you I know dozens of critical thinking "skeptics" that ABSOLUTELY believe/know there is "something" beyond our (humanity's) ability to define, produce or even understand going on in our skies.

I don't know what you are talking about now. If you have been misled to believe that because someone is skeptical of and employs critical thought on UFO cases is "denying ufology" than I don't know what to say to you.

Springer...

new topics

join