It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Segregated view of religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This has kind of been bothering me for a while. First let me inform you of my family background. I am half chinese and half english. My Dad is from Hong Kong and my mother from England originally. Both my parents moved to Australia, when my dad was 16 and my mum when she was 7.

My mum grew up as i believe in a pretty religious family. My grandmother used to teach Sunday school i believe the religion is Christian? However my mother is now into spiritualism.

My Dad is buddhist and has always been as far as i know. Since my parents got divorced my Father has become more into it and we have a small temple/worship thing in my house.

Now he is where i am confused. As i believe it (i'm not the most knowledgeble person when it comes to religion) many religions say there religion is the one... or something and if you follow another religion your on the wrong path or your worshiping evil or your going to hell or what not.
The thing i can't understand is why would God put me into a position where i am torn between two religious beliefs. It is not that my parents forced a religious view on me or anything. Doesnt it say in the Ten Commandments or something honor your mother and father. Then how can i do this in regards to there religious beliefs? Why would a higher power put me in a position like this?

Don't get me wrong i believe in god or something higher than ourseleves but i don't believe in religion if that makes sense? I believe if your a good person you will goto heaven or something.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is how can God put something s/he created into a position like this? That's why cannot follow religion whole-heartedly as i would have to turn my back on my heritage and pretty much what makes me who i am. Does anyone understand where i am coming from?

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The easy answer is that god didn't. I don't believe in god and I CERTAINLY don't believe in religion.

Religion is man-made. The admonition to follow your religion or go to hell for thinking about others is simply a technique for keeping worshippers (and their tithes) close at hand in the flock.

Religions generally teach people to not think, or at least, to think only in terms of their own dogma and ideology. You have to think for yourself and make up your own mind, and not let anyone else's dogma run over your karma.

Might I suggest a conversion to Pastafarianism?

We don't believe in dogma. And we have a 30-day God-back guarantee:

Try FSM for 30 days and if you are not completely satisfied, we guarantee your old god will almost assuredly take you back.

RAmen.

Besides, our religion is the most fun because in order to practice, and to spread the word, you really should be dressed as a pirate.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Hmm... I think that is what i'm trying to say. I don't believe in religion as i believe it is man-made and serves the people in power to suit their needs. However i believe in something whether you want to call it a God or something else.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
well... buddhism never says you're f'd over if you choose another religion... that gives it major points in my book. it says you just get another chance until you get it right. play till you win.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by iCEdTenG
Hmm... I think that is what i'm trying to say. I don't believe in religion as i believe it is man-made and serves the people in power to suit their needs. However i believe in something whether you want to call it a God or something else.

Just keep seeking the something you know innately exist.
When my family were Catholic, I never could find it..???
I was younger than 7 when my mother led us away from that church and joined a Buddhist organization, following the teaching's of Nicheren Daishonin and the lotus sutra, where I did experience something but it was not quite right in my spirit, although I should say there was a spiritual something present, only it was not enough to eliminate the doubt's or answer the question's I had. The mystic law of the universe was the generic answer for the lay people based on the law of cause and effect.
Interesting enough though the sutra's did speak of god's and demon's and the existence of nirvana, (or heavenly realm) that one might be able to attain after maybe 10,000 lifetime's, in different incarnation's. I think that if they are right about that the way things are going in this world they better hope they get it right soon. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe they are right, and that is my right. After 44 years on the planet, and dodging every attempt anyone ever made to pull me to God, because He was not real of course, He, (God that is) was able to lead me to know He does exist. And He will lead others to come to know it as well if they will only choose to follow His Lead. No church or religious dogma was able to bring me to this perception, it was the work of The Living God. His Spirit is alive and moving in the world, and if you are truly willing to follow it, it will guide you too. Howeveeeeeeer, the darkside is also a reality and it is a force that is in opposition of the Will of God. I believe it because I have also experienced it's opposition. Therefore, I would advise caution because the more God leads one, the more His enemy will attack. (just keep your eyes wide open, and your head down) Thankfully, God is aware of what one is capable of handling and the process is gentle, yet can still be quite uncomfortable initially, at least my own experience's were at times. God must arm you so that you can defend yourself from spiritual attack. For those of you who do not believe, my apologies for dragging you through this read, there is nothing to see here, this is not the thread your looking for, you can move along without delay, these aren't the droid's your looking for....(sorry, just a little humor)
The enemy on the other hand, can be quite less gentle, and will usually be more subtle in setting up snario's, (ha, new word) to distract or mislead,
this is where I think the idea of churches can be a boon, in that, like minded brethren can gather and share belief. I don't regularly attend any one church, I have been to a few but still do not quite feel comfortable in them, as I feel they are still somehow missing something. I am fortunate to have a private business and client's who still love to talk with me even after witnessing my, (for lack of a better word) conversion. For some of them who were already faith walker's it has been a blessing, for other's a wild ride. Initially, some of them, including my business associate's thought I was losing my mind, it's been over 3 years now, and I'm still pretty clear about it, with lot's yet to learn, God lead me on...

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I would'nt put my trust in religion, in the name of many religions people have died. No just die, but torcherd. Tormented. And inslaved.

Trust the truth is what will open your eyes. God and Christ are out there. And even believeing a certain christain religion is Bad. What you need to believe is the word on God. What the bible says is the way of life. Not was the preachers says. The bible says it "even the devil God to church"

T.I. said it in "Live in the Sky) I walk the truth or believe in the truth cuz I want to live with God, and the truth way of life.

And I tell you believe ANYBODY over the bible is wrong and can miss lead you. Many people wont believe in the Bible cuz people twist the truth of the bible. "God is Jesus" Every think that this is wrong and that people wont follow it cuz they wont believe God came down from heaven. ???? The truth lies in haveing a personal relationship with God, and to do that you must talk to God ( Pray) and let God talk to you (read the bible and experence Gods paths for you) by doing that God will show you the truth, as long as you have a willing hearts.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I used to be in the same position as you, IcedTeng. My parents were born into Buddhism and naturally, I went to many temples with them. I used to spend entire weekends at Buddhist temples, meditating and eating nothing but veggies. Peaceful, but ultimately pointless. I never really believed in the gods of Buddhism as I never saw any real proof for the existence of them.

Eventually a family friend recommended that we come to a Christian church with him. It too was boring and pointless at first, but later on I witnessed so many miracles and blessings at that church, it was just so beautiful. I can't really explain them without freaking you out, but trust me when I say that a true God lived in that church.

If you're interested in Christianity, don't just read the bible. It's a pretty esoteric source and you'll probably be confused by most of the books in it. I recommend reading the gospels in the bible first, those are the books of Mark, Luke, John, and Matthew. Then, read the book of Acts, which is a book detailing what the apostles of Jesus did after the resurrection. Then, if you're still interested, read up on the apologetics of C.S. Lewis.

Alas, it is ultimately your choice. Religion is sometimes corrupt, but does that mean ALL religion is corrupt? Remember, its called CHRISTianity, not CHURCHianity. But, Church most definitely helps you along the way.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I was told to start with Romans. Its a good one to.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Burn every single religious book that gets placed in your hand and gleefully tear up all those pamphlets. Every religion is after your 'soul' and will tell you as many lies as possible to get you hooked - Thats just my view.

The only advice is to think logical and objectively at the evidence presented by all religions, weigh up the claims of each (without listening to all the commentary and apologetics that are supplied to explain things away) and think whether such a deity could exist given the current world situation. If you then have questions (undoubtedly you will) then ask them - consider both for and against arguments while also relating them to the current world state.

The answer will come to you - Buddhist, christian... atheist or even something else.

Happy hunting!!!

G

top topics

join