It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Police to get new Stop and Question powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
According to BBC news online - "The government is considering giving police officers across the UK "stop and question" powers under new anti-terror laws.

It would allow police to ask people about their identity and movement, without the need for them to have "reasonable suspicion" as is currently the case.

According to the Sunday Times, anyone who refuses to co-operate could be charged with obstructing the police and fined up to £5,000."Is it just me or is it getting harder to breather around here?

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   
this isn't new. It already happens.

When I am visiting my family in Northern Ireland, you do face stop and questions. It's been used in Belfast, with some success, for many years. even decades.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Police have had stop and search powers for years, how is this any different?

Surely during a search, they are going to talk to you and ask questions anyway. or is this just giving them the power to ask questions but not search.

In which case, what is the point? If they suspect you of anything, they're going to search you.

I thought it was the Police's job to stop people who were suspicious.... You know, as in crime prevention, rather than solving them after the fact.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Police have had stop and search powers for years, how is this any different?

i have no idea.

we might be thrown against a wall, beaten and then asked? you never what Blair is thinking these days

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
this isn't new. It already happens.

When I am visiting my family in Northern Ireland, you do face stop and questions. It's been used in Belfast, with some success, for many years. even decades.

mmm.... the article also stated that this is the norm in Northern Ireland, but would be extended to the rest of the U.K. as well.

As far as stop and question, the forest rangers here even think they have the power...dont question them, they will gang up on you. (see one of my older blog entries here at ATS under the Hungarian cultural experience if you want to read more.)

My take on all this as that its pure silliness.
Stop and ask questions, like anyone will tell you if their up to ill intent.
Oh, I forgot they are walking lie-detectors these police.

Its as the article said: trying to smash a walnut with a sledgehammer - in other-words, just plain silly. But I suppose thats what mass consciousness wants, as the governments and laws reflect the desire of the people. (What you resist is strengthened...)

Peace

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
The way it's been is that they have to suspect you of something before they have the power to stop and question you. Under the new law proposed they don't need to suspect you of anything. They can just stop anyone at any time and failure to comply with their questioning will get you in trouble. (Already being used in Northern Ireland). I don't believe in this "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about" crap. It might not concern you but it concerns me. It's an invasion of privacy and I'm sure some police will just stop folk on a whim, or to meet targets. What if a policeman stops me and I'm just not in the mood for it? I might be too stroppy for his liking and not giving him enough of the "yassuh massa" that he'd prefer. Give some folk too much power and it'll go to their heads. Nothing good will come of this.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumasonI thought it was the Police's job to stop people who were suspicious.... You know, as in crime prevention, rather than solving them after the fact.

O.k. - you stop someone at random and ask questions...then what? Talk them to death?
This is just pure silliness. As my blog here at ATS stated I was stopped in the middle of no-where by the forest rangers as they had a problem with gypsies stealing wood.

Hmmm. Not sure the logic in telling me that gypsies were doing this...me with my blue eyes and nordic background. Truth is I suppose most hungarians arent used to seeing someone walk in nature alone to relax...they are to busy be stressed about life.

So, again, point...they dont like the way you look...or they have a bad day, gives them an excuse to bug you or rough up on you. Yes, this sovles, or is preventitive crime.

Peace

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
Its as the article said: trying to smash a walnut with a sledgehammer - in other-words, just plain silly. But I suppose thats what mass consciousness wants, as the governments and laws reflect the desire of the people. (What you resist is strengthened...)

Apparently John Reid (Home Office Minister) is planning to declare a "State of Emergency" which would give him like 30 days to pass whatever law he likes. I'm not sure if he will do it, but he said that its being considered.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by infiniteApparently John Reid (Home Office Minister) is planning to declare a "State of Emergency" which would give him like 30 days to pass whatever law he likes. I'm not sure if he will do it, but he said that its being considered.

I suppose to these folks everything is an emergency.
I say let them have their emergencies...and like the film merlin - when enough people walk away and ignore the pure silliness, it will dry up on its own.

After all, the masses feed the few that jump up and down like mad men saying that we are all going to die because someone wears this or looks like that, etc.

Peace

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
What if a policeman stops me and I'm just not in the mood for it? I might be too stroppy for his liking and not giving him enough of the "yassuh massa" that he'd prefer. Give some folk too much power and it'll go to their heads. Nothing good will come of this.

Answer the questions and move on. Whats the deal?

As long as you left the wacky backy at home
and aren't breaking any laws, they cannot do bugger all to you.. Just don't swear or become aggressive, otherwise they'll have you under Section 5, if they want to ruin your night. Even if you brought the wacky backy, they would probably "confiscate" it and save it for later, letting you off with a caution at the side of the road....

I might add though, that while the Pigs are all kids that were bullied at school and are pretty anal about things, on the whole they are quite reasonable and don't want the hassle of nicking you if they can avoid it. Help them in not arresting you by being civil to them.

The one time I was arrested, I was perfectly civil, remained calm and was chatty. I wasn't cuffed and I sat in the back of the car on my own with all their gear there unsupervised, I even had free roam in and out of my cell to use the toilet or go for a fag, whilst all the other idiots who fought the Police were locked up and not allowed out for anything. I even got a MacDonald's brought to me whilst the others had microwave curry and one Policeman even joined me for a smoke.

Our Police are people too and have a tough job as it is. There is no risk of a Police State here, simply because the Police won't allow it.
I think Yanks get worried about our Police because theres are so violent and arrogant.

You have to remember, over there it's about Law Enforcement, whereas here, they're directed to Keep the Peace. A big difference, that is....

[edit on 27/5/07 by stumason]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   

The one time I was arrested, I was perfectly civil, remained calm and was chatty. I wasn't cuffed and I sat in the back of the car on my own with all their gear there unsupervised, I even had free roam in and out of my cell to use the toilet or go for a fag, whilst all the other idiots who fought the Police were locked up and not allowed out for anything. I even got a MacDonald's brought to me whilst the others had microwave curry and one Policeman even joined me for a smoke.

LMFAO

That is quite a hilarious thing to picture. I remember walking home from college with a mate, and the police were out looking for someone. The kid got away and we asked the officer if we "missed the drama". He was really out of breathe, turned and went "yeah, you missed a police officer running. its rare these days" lol (yeah, you had to been there).

Our Police are people too and have a tough job as it is. There is no risk of a Police State here, simply because the Police won't allow it.
I think Yanks get worried about our Police because theres are so violent and arrogant.

Thats true, our police voted against carrying guns. The police are really nice guys and girls, a friendly group of people.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Chi-Com Swine.

I will be the end of them.

Ram

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
£5,000

What the hell are they on to, these fashist?
My barometer on kindness has just dropped below zero.

It's not even politics anymore...
This is not political anymore...

Here I am looking for money under my carpet - and in my pockets.
Paid all my bills...I have Internet and a bed to sleep in.

They are working beound borders now..

Not that I don't apply for development of the human society - It's just this is going in a bad direction. They really expect me to support this perverted kinda lifestyle & Laws...

You gotta be kidding.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Apparently John Reid (Home Office Minister) is planning to declare a "State of Emergency" which would give him like 30 days to pass whatever law he likes. I'm not sure if he will do it, but he said that its being considered.

Where'd you hear that, infinite? Reid is overstepping his bounds and abusing his authority if he does so. I reckon he could kiss his Parliamentary seat goodbye and Labour would be pretty much guaranteed to lose the next election.

Onto the subject at hand... I would emphasise that these are only being considered and haven't yet been passed (there's a long way to go, and Parliament are getting concerned at the somewhat draconian legislation being put to the vote in the name of anti-terrorism... see the defeat of the government over the attempt to detain people without charge for 90 days. Three months!)

On the other hand, we need to watch the government and the laws it wants to pass (whatever party happens to be in power at the time) very closely since I feel they're going way over the top to keep us 'safe'. Talking cameras? Police URVs? Microphones down the streets? Traffic wardens with cameras on their hats? Not in my name, thank you very much.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Papers Please? Tanks in the streets, curfews - it's already happened in North America. It was called the October crisis, the FLQ in Quebec. Kidnapped and murdered a minister at the legislature. Trudeau smacked the country and it swooned.

top topics

join