It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was that a dead giveaway?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I saw on the news that George W Bush said that "we shall not believe in these 9-11 conspiracy theories." People can believe what they want to and say what they want to say yet he is surpressing their ideas... FDR did not do that. George W Bush is violating our first amendment rights by surpressing our right to protest by denouncing the claims about what happened that day. Since he addressed to the nation the idea of 9-11 conspiracy theories do you feel as though that he is afraid of them? What are your thoughts on the matter?

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I don't get it? I didn't see the speech myself, but the President has the right to voice his opinion too on the matter. He's probably getting sick of these conspiracy theorists averting attention from the facts, attacking our administration, our president, and our troops, while offering their sympathy to the terrorists that caused 9/11 in the first place. Good for GW!

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
laguania, yes, the shrub can have an opinion. But because of his position, and power of office, he should not formulate it in such a way that it sounds like an order.

I'm sure that a deep thinker such as yourself understands the subtelties of abuse of power.

When one holds a position of leadership, while it may not be strictly illegal, it is most certainly in bad form to make a statement that will sound as if he were forbidding something. Unless he would have the rule of law on his side, which he does not when it concerns free speech, he ought restrain himself.

I realize that he has AADD, and is an uncouth lout in the bargain,as evidenced by his comportment during the visit by the Queen of England, but surely this is flaunting the fact that he is intolerant to the extreme.

Some sycophants will naturally defend such overbearing behavior, but it is a sign of the elitist disdain he holds for Americans and our tradition of liberty.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
I don't get it? I didn't see the speech myself, but the President has the right to voice his opinion too on the matter. He's probably getting sick of these conspiracy theorists averting attention from the facts, attacking our administration, our president, and our troops, while offering their sympathy to the terrorists that caused 9/11 in the first place. Good for GW!

Whoa, talk about propaganda. All 9/11 issues aside, you are what's wrong with this country today, sir!

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter
I saw on the news that George W Bush said that "we shall not believe in these 9-11 conspiracy theories." People can believe what they want to and say what they want to say yet he is surpressing their ideas... FDR did not do that. George W Bush is violating our first amendment rights by surpressing our right to protest by denouncing the claims about what happened that day. Since he addressed to the nation the idea of 9-11 conspiracy theories do you feel as though that he is afraid of them? What are your thoughts on the matter?

Suppressing 1st Amendment Rights? Get serious.

I think you need to put his in perspective. For example, in China if you express your opinion you would be put in prison for 20 years. Bush saying what he did was nothing more than political rhetoric, which is allowed in the U.S.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
nick, just a couple of thoughts. First, I for one did not say that he did anything that was illegal or even unethical, though I doubt that the shrub could even spell the latter.

But let the words stand for themselves.

"we"- Who is we? Is he not the nominal head of the U S government? Here he strongly implies that this is not the stand to be taken by those who are to be considered part of the we. This infers that those who do are 'outsiders', akin to 'outlaws', or 'beyond the pale'. This is a subtle separation of those in the "we" group from the dissidents.

"shall not"- Almost a biblical pronouncement. Aside from it's stilted structure, it is not a phrase logical to use by someone as non-irradiate as our president. Which indicates that it was carefully placed in the speech by others, for effect.

Anyone who studies the language of 'selling' that the media uses can often spot the key words and phrases that 'push' the viewer/reader towards the purchase.

Again, this is not, IMO, anything unlawful. It is unwholesome in the office that is logically for all the people. It is divisive, and polarizing. And in a small, yet notable way, a warning.

[Edit by NGC- spelling.]

[edit on 26-5-2007 by NGC2736]

new topics

top topics

join