It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Predictions Should Contain the Following For Credibility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I love predictions as much as anyone else, but where do we draw the line on what is a prediction and what is guessing or just BS. What makes you believe in a prediction? Accuracy, Dates, Times, Generalities, Religious ties, Gut Feelings?

To me a prediction is not something that is ambiguous, predictions have to have specific dates, times, places, names, and undeniable facts. If someone makes enough claims or they are generalizing what will transpire, then with all the events, news, reports worldwide it will be easy to say: "See I predicted that".

What I would love to see is people that make predictions stop explaining away why something didn't happen.

What a Prediction needs to make it credible is the following:

1) It must contain precise dates and times.

Please everyone add to this list..... Next person #2)

[edit on 25-5-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
(#2) It should have at least one example of having correctly predicted something.

For me the Mayans correctly predicted the arrival of the Spanish. That for me gives Mayan prediction the benefit of the doubt.

Nostradamus had some notable predictions. Most interestingly, that he predicted not only his own death, but also the death of those who unearthed his coffin.

With Nostradamus however, I don't think that Rule #1 is necessary since the qualification could equally be that in retrospect the clues given 500 years ago accurately fit the event.

For example he foretold Hister and the crooked cross.

Nostradamus also often links predictions to astrological conjunctions.

[edit on 25-5-2007 by sy.gunson]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Predictions of the kind you mean are I guess are either from a holy writing or known person with visions.

Personally I don't buy into any of it.

But I got this bridge for sale in brooklyn

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
(#3) It should be clear for interpretation and identification in advance...No generalizing.

thank you for pointing this out sy.gunson:

Moreover, none of the sources listed offers any evidence that anyone has ever interpreted any of Nostradamus' quatrains specifically enough to allow a clear identification of any event in advance....

Wiki: Nostradamus

Not something that needs to be interpreted after the fact, nothing like "there will be a disaster for the human race"... i want specifics. predict whats going to happen, don't generalize.

[edit on 5/25/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
For me the Mayans correctly predicted the arrival of the Spanish. That for me gives Mayan prediction the benefit of the doubt.

They should also include links or other materials that back up the most crucial claims to the view being presented.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
(4) how about a reason for the prediction. Why?

It's all very well saying something like: At 4am tomorrow a man in a blue hat will fall down those steps!

But why did you say he will fall, what will make him fall?

Why made you give the prediction? A vision, a feeling, a revealed clue somewhere, a voice?

[edit on 27/5/2007 by nerbot]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
(5) If it's catastrophe-related, please provide ample evidence (warnings, signs) so we can prepare or avoid it completely.

I really don't get prophets saying something to this affect: "There will be a great world war from the year 2010 to 2017"... They don't explain the reasons why it started, who attacked first, who won the war, etc... it's vagueness just makes it a little less believable to me.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
I love predictions as much as anyone else, but where do we draw the line on what is a prediction and what is guessing or just BS. What makes you believe in a prediction? Accuracy, Dates, Times, Generalities, Religious ties, Gut Feelings?

To me a prediction is not something that is ambiguous, predictions have to have specific dates, times, places, names, and undeniable facts. If someone makes enough claims or they are generalizing what will transpire, then with all the events, news, reports worldwide it will be easy to say: "See I predicted that".

What I would love to see is people that make predictions stop explaining away why something didn't happen.

What a Prediction needs to make it credible is the following:

1) It must contain precise dates and times.

Please everyone add to this list..... Next person #2)

[edit on 25-5-2007 by Realtruth]

EXACTLY as the Lord is exact and we should get it exact even if we only see through a glass darkly at present, but eventually true prophecies have to be exact and be confirmed and set a standard for a specific scenario of events.

If the trumpet give an uncclear sound, who shall prepare for battle.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Before you can decide what makes a prediction credible, what you can expect from a credible prediction, I think there's a need to examine the nature of predictions - how they are arrived at. Take for instance Nostradamus, since he's already been mentioned. Nostradamus is believed to have mainly used a scrying method - so whatever information came to him, it would mostly have come to him in the form of pictures. If it came in the form of pictures, his predictions could be expected to consist largely of description or interpretation of visual images. Probably not much in the way of precise dates would be forthcoming, unless his pictures showed him the front pages of daily newspapers - and looking at the material he produced as a whole, there isn't much in the way of precise dates atall, occasionally he gives a year, rarely a month. If I was examining Nostradamus for accuracy as far as timing is concerned, I would probably look more to the sequence of events since his pictures could be expected to convey this quite easily - first he saw this, then he saw that, and so on.

To be honest, precise dates and suchlike data tend rather to make me suspicious of predictions - they seem more likely to be made up as most methods of divination don't allow for this level of precision. Intuitions, dreams, and other methods by which foreshadowings of the future are seen - these likewise largely consist of visual images or even just feelings.

If I can see the picture that is being put across by someone making a prediction, if I can see how that person arrived at their prediction - that may add to credibility for me, but at the end of the day, the crux of the matter is my own gut reaction to it. Not the precise dates and times, but just - does it smell right.

[edit on 17-6-2007 by skjalddis]

[edit on 17-6-2007 by skjalddis]

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
A prediction doesnt have rules.
A prediction can only be credible if it comes true.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
A prediction doesnt have rules.
A prediction can only be credible if it comes true.

Only the Lord can make predictions called prophecies.

Extrapolation can sometimes be made, but specific time prophecies can only come from the Lord, who created in time and has a timeline for all events.

www.geocities.com...

top topics

join