It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress To Restore Detainee Rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Congress To Restore Detainee Rights

news.yahoo.com

Senate Democrats are backing a bill that would grant new rights to terror suspects held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, including access to a lawyer regardless of whether the prisoners are put on trial.

The proposal, approved this week by the Senate Armed Services Committee, also would narrow the definition of an enemy combatant and tighten restrictions on the types of evidence used to prosecute and keep a person detained.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hosted.ap.org

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I am glad to see this being done so soon.

It is a blow to the right and those who would get rid of rights in the name of security, regardless of what people think or the fact that not everyone they arrest has something to do with a nefarious act.

I'm sure Bush will complain about it and try to make the Democrats look bad, though in my opinion his doing that only worsens his already demolished image.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Looks like congress hasn't lost touch with its liberal and treasonous agenda...restoring 'rights' to terrorists while blocking vital funding to our troops that are fighting these exact same terrorists.... that congress so dearly protects. I can only be so thankful that our current administration isn't taking anything out of congress with serious consideration. I hope this administration stays for a long-run because frankly, there isn't any point in having these traitors anymore.

[edit on 25-5-2007 by laiguana]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Good, I had no problem with terrorist rotting away in Cuba. But I was troubled by the fact that they could do so without ever being charged with anything. If we cannot even abide by our own laws, are we better than the terrorist or perhaps a bit worse.

Charge them, convict them, and let them rot!

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I am glad that this is to be considered, it helps to put our minds at rest, if they get rights then it means that we americans will not end up losing any.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Good, I had no problem with terrorist rotting away in Cuba. But I was troubled by the fact that they could do so without ever being charged with anything.

I agree with most of what you said, and I know the issue of the detainees in Cuba is much more complex then I am aware. I however thing they should have been charged, tried, and executed long before now.

new topics

top topics

join