It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed up station owner shuts off gas pumps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Fed up station owner shuts off gas pumps

www.cnn.com

The owner of Towne Market Mobil in this suburb north of Milwaukee shut down his pumps for 24 hours, hoping to start a movement aimed at convincing oil companies to lower their prices.

"Somebody out there is making money at these prices, but not me," said Pollack, 57. "So I just thought: What can I do to help the consumer?"
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is great... I hope that more and more station owners will do the same thing. Surely, the government and more importantly the "Big Oil Co's" know how hard this is for some people... yeah I know... they don't care though.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I totally agree. There is one issue however, unless every station in the area does the same thing for one day, and pisses off every gas buying customer in the region, the people will just buy their gas at the next station and the plan will fail. Dont get me wrong, I am soooooo pissed at Big Oil and we are quite obviously being bent over every time we gas up, but the system is so large and backed by the Government that it would take a bigger effort than one station owner. I do applaud him for having the b*lls to take this one on however.

BTW I am in Canada and we are truly being shafted by the Govt and big oila, gas here is $1.2 per litre or approx $4.80 per gallon. OWCH

Dredz

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'm sorry to say this will not help anyone. Sounds just as dumb as everyone not buying gas on the same day, then just filling up with more gas the next day. If you want prices of oil to go down, the demand will have to go down first. Gas prices will continue to soar untill we find new energy sources to use.

You can compare this to an overweight person on a diet. Laying off the cheeseburgers for one day isn't going to make you thin. Oil companies must be laughing at us, as we boycott oil one day then buy double the next day at higher prices.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole

You can compare this to an overweight person on a diet. Laying off the cheeseburgers for one day isn't going to make you thin. Oil companies must be laughing at us, as we boycott oil one day then buy double the next day at higher prices.

No you can't! People eat for a variety of psychological and physiological reasons. Use of gasoline is a far more complex issue that is tied to consumer spending habits, product design, news stories that either highlight or downplay the current war in Iraq and its impact on oil production...which in turn shows us how closely to look at the price of gas, etc.

People buy SUVs and drive more often because they don't want anyone else telling them what to do. It boils down to the feeling of freedom, in the United States. There is great value to this, it is an enormous component to social status and it shouldn't be associated with overeating cheeseburgers. Besides, if consuming gasoline as a transportation product were a main focus for people, we'd have long ago switched over to electric vehicles.

It's actually more like smoking. There is a physical action, going to the pump, sliding in your card, taking the receipt. Looking at the "F" or "E" on the gauge and determining the rest of your day or week.

Thie issue is so deeply ingrained in our being that say its like a fat person eating cheeseburgers comes up short, I'm afraid. It's more like a chain reaction that starts at who is driving what, and who owns what and your personal sense of accomplishment.

We're not greedy, but we are focused on the wrong stuff sometimes. Like...stuff.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
so newtron, do you believe that not buying gas for one day will solve anything? I guarantee if a new fuel sorce was to be found for cars, gas prices would go down. The only way to get prices down is to force the companies into doing it by not using their products AT ALL until they promise to drop prices(not happening any time soon.) . But when it all boils down the real problem why gas prices are so high is because the general public doesn't care. Prices will continue to go up until the majority of the public can not afford it anymore, then efforts for alternative fuels might speed up because it will be a necessity.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Not buying gas for one day or even a week will not solve anything.

I know, because I have cancer on my hand, I won't use that arm for a while and see what happens. Brilliant. It doesn't solve a thing.

If however, I go to see a doctor and a clinic and they evaluate me, together along with my input, we all come to a conclusion as to A) what kind of cancer I have, B) how to treat it, and C) what my chances are of recovery...not to mention what kind of recovery I can expect.

Back to gas usage. The cancer is this: people don't care how much they use, only that they need their vehicles...their SUV, their little car, their motorcycle...but it is a gas consuming vehicle. Not once for anyone, even the most gas-sipping of Honda drivers, does the question come up do I need gasoline. Of course you do.

The premise behind alternative fuels is not to replace need, but to also redefine how we live. Do you really need to take 8 trips to the grocery store during the week when a list of groceries and a meal plan will keep it down to 2 or 3?

Could you carpool? What mid-sized communities could offer more public transportation options? If people are truly willing to cut the cancerous tumor of need off and get on with the life they'd rather live, then they'd take these things into consideration.

Additionally, I have had an idea for a commuter train involving micro cars...very small cars like the Smart Car 2+2 (or smaller). Electric cars that drive to the train, the train charges the cars, the commuters drive off to work in the city in smaller vehicles...taking up less space, etc.

Just some more thinkos on it all...

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
This is great... I hope that more and more station owners will do the same thing.

Well, that particular station closing down isn't really an isolated incident; Some are even shutting down their pumps on a more permanent basis & just getting by on the other services that many stations provide...Such as reported here.

If you want prices of oil to go down, the demand will have to go down first. Gas prices will continue to soar untill we find new energy sources to use.

Precisely! I saw the mayor of New York City (Julliano) on the David Letterman show just a few nights ago...He's working to be one of the next candidates for President, after all. He pointed out that the USA has become too dependent on oil for energy & he seeks to get strong on alternative fuel sources; He even pointed out the the USA hasn't liscensed any new nuclear power plants in over 30 years, but he also wants to seek out new technologies to provide power as well.

Originally posted by newtron25
People buy SUVs and drive more often because they don't want anyone else telling them what to do. It boils down to the feeling of freedom, in the United States. There is great value to this, it is an enormous component to social status and it shouldn't be associated with overeating cheeseburgers. Besides, if consuming gasoline as a transportation product were a main focus for people, we'd have long ago switched over to electric vehicles.

I've also read an article in a magazine (don't remember the title or issue in particular), but it seems that the Governator (you know...Schwarzenegger in California) has been trying to push alternate fuels in Califorina, mostly to cut down on carbon emissions. He's mostly pushing the angle that alternative fuels don't turn a vechicle into "wimp" & he's had his own Hummer rigged out for it...And demonstrating that he's suffered no loss of power or performance due to switching fuel sources.

Even so, I think a bit of background info from here may shed some light on how hard it is to use crude oil to provide fuel...Especially when you've got the Big Oil Interests trying to squeeze every penny of profit out of a rapidly dwindling supply.

The only way to get prices down is to force the companies into doing it by not using their products AT ALL until they promise to drop prices(not happening any time soon.)

Precisely...We all have to make the goverment push for alternative sources of power, not just for vechicle fuels. There's too much Big Oil Interest influencing the government & it must be eliminated before any progress can be made to use our technologies for alternate sources of power.

After all, there's a very good reason why "Congress" begins with the word "con"; If "con" means the opposite of "pro", then consider what "Congress" means when compared to "progress."

Originally posted by newtron25
Could you carpool? What mid-sized communities could offer more public transportation options? If people are truly willing to cut the cancerous tumor of need off and get on with the life they'd rather live, then they'd take these things into consideration.

The true source of the problem you describe began with Big Oil Interests & automobile manufacturers activley supressing the alternatives & using the mass-media marketing to drive people into thinking that "we gotta have the oil because nothing else works" type of mentality. When you consider that people are beginning to learn & spread the truth (such as I mentioned earlier about Schwarzenegger), then maybe we can knock Big Oil down a few notches.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   

But when it all boils down the real problem why gas prices are so high is because the general public doesn't care. Prices will continue to go up until the majority of the public can not afford it anymore, then efforts for alternative fuels might speed up because it will be a necessity.

Unlike you Aces I also think this is a good idea. I know this will not stop the demand but it will show the oil companies that some people do care. All movements started out with one person. So if this idea catches on it could go somewhere. Since this is being done by one of the retailers it might mean more then coming from one of the worthless consumers that they don't care about.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

This is great... I hope that more and more station owners will do the same thing. Surely, the government and more importantly the "Big Oil Co's" know how hard this is for some people... yeah I know... they don't care though.

I would not say it is gret really good perhaps as a short protest nothing else. What CNN failed to tell you is while the Mobil in Mequon closed for only 24 hours there were at least two perhaps three Shell stations that stopped selling gas permanently.

Gas stations stop selling gas

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Shots,
that was a pretty good link thanks for posting it. It does make me wonder if the oil companies what to put some of retailers out of business. Maby they think the fewer retailers the more they can control the price.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
It does make me wonder if the oil companies what to put some of retailers out of business. Maby they think the fewer retailers the more they can control the price.

There is no doubt in my mind some of that is going on. Several Shell stations changed to BP in our area. IN one case a leased station on the the NW corner (hwy 100 and Oklahoma in MKE) that was privately run lost its lease only to be torn down and replaced by a brand new company owned station that was built on the SE Corner.

What really gets a person is in this case they tore down another station that was on the SE corner that was a Standard Oil they had purchased before his lease ran out and had the new station with signs and all in place one or two days before his lease ran out.

Now imagine what it felt like for that guy if you were in his shoes knowing your lease is running out and watching a new station same brand kiddy corner being built, kind of rotten thing to do, but I think they did it to rub it in or it sure appeared that way.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Shots,
well that does sound pretty rotten, but still thanks for that extra piece of information.
Don't know what could really be done about it so oh well.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I ride a bicycle and its always running fine and the price of gas has no effect on me.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
What really stinks about this gas increase is that there is no real reason to raise the price, the price is being raised simply because its summer and they want their cut of folks vacation money. Rather then trying to stick it back to em by having no gas days, a better solution would be for folks to vacation at, or near home during the summer. I can guarantee that if they review the logs by mid summer, and realize that, due to their actions, folks summer gas use actually declined, maybe they drop the price and not pull this crap again for awhile. Of course no one is really going to do this, but it’s about the only thing that would work right now besides everyone buying a new hybrid car all at once.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
What really stinks about this gas increase is that there is no real reason to raise the price, the price is being raised simply because its summer and they want their cut of folks vacation money.

True but not true in certain aspects. Many states, Wisconsin is one requires that service/gas stations switch to a summer blend of ethanol which costs more to refine as I understand it.

one real odd tidbit I learned from our local news today is that that new eth 85 or whatever they call it gets 25% less mileage then traditional fuel/gas therefore it might seem like you are paying less but in the end it costs you more to drive the same distance.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Shots,
The alcohol fuels do burn a little bit richer then gas, but I do think twenty five percent is a little bit high. I have read a little bit about alcohol fuels but I don't remember how much the lower the mileage is.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I have heard a good idea. One day boycotts do not work. Buy gas, just not from Exxon or Shell. There are plenty of other co's to get it from. Lets hit the biggest and start a price war. Once they start to feel the pinch they will reduce price to bring back customers and the war will be on. I have already started. A little research and it should not effect our habits that much but.....

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
Shots,
The alcohol fuels do burn a little bit richer then gas, but I do think twenty five percent is a little bit high. I have read a little bit about alcohol fuels but I don't remember how much the lower the mileage is.

I was just relating what I heard on my local station this AM. I am sure there might be some variance but this mentions 30% so it could be pretty close

Currently,mileage is assumed to be almost30% lower when using E85, while anecdotal evidence indicates that
actual MPG performance of E85 is much better than that estimate.
Source Ethanol Org

[edit on 5/30/2007 by shots]

new topics

top topics

join