It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I may have found a meteorite...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Hello all, sorry for the only "Semi" on topic post (not exactly a space conspiracy) but I thought I'd get the answer here.

I was working out back today and kicked a small "rock" by accident. Well, it did not act like you would expect a small rock to act when kicked, so it cought my attention. It was rust colored and unusually heavy. Its clearly a piece of iron laden rock, or more specifically a seemingly solid chunk of iron.

Note: This is basically a city area and I found it in a paved lot. Not exactly a place to find such a thing.

My first thought was that it was an old chunk of something man made. But after a second of looking at it you can clearly see that its very natural and has no geometric to flat surfaces what so ever.

Pics (WARNING: HUGE!!!)
Meteorite?

What do you think?

[edit on 21-5-2007 by skippytjc]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I dont know anything about meteor rock however all the ones I have seen look different from that one. Dont they have pitted surfaces, like a sponge?

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Cool find, I would go to the science department of your local university and get it analysed. Im sure they would be happy to look at it without charging you! Most of them do have a spongelike surface but who knows (meteorites not universities lol), if it came from the depths of space it could be made out of anything!

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It depends; it looks to me as it has been through the mill a bit. Who knows how long it has been kicking about in paved areas? That could smooth it out for certain.

The reason I suspect it may be a meteorite is that Iron like this doesn’t just happen, its either made or molten together naturally. Well, I live in the East Coast of the USA, not exactly a hot spot for volcanic or tectonic activity. So I conclude it came from outer space.

That’s my theory anyways.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Sounds fun! And worth getting is looked at, Though 9 outta 10 times its not sadly,

also not all objects that fall from the sky are from space either,

I like others have said would take it along to someone whos knows,

And if it is a real one well you may at least get a little bit for it

Let us know how it goes,

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Hello Asala! Been gone a bit. New job and twins! Not much time to post

Twins took the kick out of me a bit, dont have as much energy to get into trouble anymore, kind of miss the epic battles here on the boards. Get quiet when I left? (no way!)

[edit on 21-5-2007 by skippytjc]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
ohh sounds like alot of work! love to the family

Drop me a u2u and let me know how things are going when your about

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Looks more like a rusted piece of metal, like a big hammer or some kind of carving tool. Are you sure its rock? Have you tried washing/scrubing it clean from some part to see if theres some metal underneath all that rust?

[edit on 21-5-2007 by Gonjo]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I found a picture of a known meteorite that looks a great deal like the one I found

www.space.gc.ca...

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Can't say from the photo but it could be. A lot of meteorites get what's called a fusion crust. Yours appears to be a bit worn but doesn't mean it's not the real thing. You've obviously tried a magnet on it? Don't wet it, it'll rust. Could be worth a couple of bob, get it checked out. I found a big one once and threw it away. Since then I've checked out what to look for and I think it was definitely a real one, a biggie too, complete with fusion crust, a cone at one end and thumb print (regmaglypts) at the other. It was lying in the middle of a park under some big trees. I picked it up, looked it over and said "meteorite," then threw it away.I haven't been to that park for years but guaranteed, the next time I go I'll have a look for it.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Let us know the results of taking to a lab for analysis. If you did find one that is so cool.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I went to the University of Arizona's site. Apparently they have an identification service for free.

It is magnetic and fits their online profile for a meteorite. I will send it out to them for absolute verification though. If its real, they will help get it named and possibly buy it from me according to their site.

Its very exciting

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
It looks like it could be one...if so, you'll probably get a lot of money for it.

Good luck with the testing!

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
If an iron meteorite I believe they go for around the same price as silver by the ounce. So make sure you wiegh it before sending off

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Is it possible to find meteor in south florida?

I would very much like to find one.

And how exactly would you go about finding one? Luck?

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The best place to find them is on snowfields. Antarctica is the best place in the world. Perhaps a desert would be another. There are three different types.

(1) stoney chondrites
(2) iron chondrites (mixed)
(3) iron nickel (usually very dense and crystaline metal)

A metal detector may be of assistance. A meteorite will stand out as different from the normal rock population.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
Is it possible to find meteor in south florida?

I would very much like to find one.

And how exactly would you go about finding one? Luck?
You can search for them anywhere. Get yourself a magnet on a string and throw it onto your roof. Anything that sticks is probably from a meteorite and usually about the size of a grain of sand or gravel. You can buy some very strong neodymium magnets (try ebay). Some have a hole in the middle and you can attach them to walking sticks. Go for walks with one of these and see what you can pick up. Some meteorites are worth only a few £s because they're so common however you might find one that's worth a fortune and they're usually sold for hundreds of £s per small SLICE.Not all meteorites are magnetic though so you'll have to do your own research to see what to look for. Seek and ye shall find.p.s. These magnets are very strong so I recommend you keep them out in the shed till you're using them.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Yeah I hear these meteorites can be worth up to 15 dollars per gram. How much would you say yours weight skippy?

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Its 3.1 oz. or about 88 grams.

So, if its real it could be a nice little bonus.

Ill send it out soon takes about 60 days to confirm authenticity.

This is kind of cool either way.

top topics

join