It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Flag 07 Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I managed to find a video on the Red Flag excercises at the Nellis AFB site. It's a nighttime video of some of the aircraft involved, a few taking off and whatnot.

I managed to spot the F-22 Raptor, F-15 Eagle (C Strike variant I believe), FB-111 Aardvark, F-16 Fighting Falcon. It's an interesting vid, no actual combat, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Video Link

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Not a bad video at all, and not even 2 mins. It has some of that rare footage only a true aircraft connoisseur could appreciate.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Actually those were RAAF F-111s, with a Tornado behind them. Australia is the only one left flying them, and they have the F-111Cs IIRC. Only the USAF got the FB, although both live up to the Aardvark name, and are/were total pigs.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
^^

Yep.. and nice video!

There was a close up on the cockpit(of an F-22 IIRC) with the pilot in it. This was around the 20th second of the video.
I think he had some blackish gear attached to the tip of his visor or the front cut of the helmet.
Was this some standard NV gear(presuming the exercise was night), or was that a JHMCS helmet?

I doubt it was the JHMCS because the pictures I've seen look like this:

So the one in the clip looks like a NV add-on to me.

I've also heard some buzz about a helmet-integrated NV system (NV HMD).
Its supposed to be an early stage of development as compared to the JHMCS. Whats the latest on that?

I would imagine that such a protrusion(NV attachment) right on the forehead
would cause considerable issues in a high G manuevers, esp when in the retracted position.
This type of engagement(NV attachment in retracted position) would probably happen during a twilight-ish timeframe.

On a separate note:
Is the JHMCS deployed with all operational Raptors?

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
I've also heard some buzz about a helmet-integrated NV system (NV HMD).
Its supposed to be an early stage of development as compared to the JHMCS. Whats the latest on that?

The JHMCS does not currently have any NVG system integrated into it, however such a capability is planned for in near future upgrades. The upcoming F-35 JSF HMDS though (which is a different helmet than the JHMCS) is designed from the outset to have night vision capability built right into the visor, without any type of attachments of any kind. The visor will display FLIR/NV video from the outboard sensors (DAS), this in essence also allows for an unobstructed 360 degree IR/NV view.

Related Link

On a separate note:
Is the JHMCS deployed with all operational Raptors?

Currently the US is in the process of equipping the older generation jets in service (F-15, F-16, F/A-18 etc...) with the JHMCS, this effort is almost complete with many units flying older jets fully converted to the JHMCS. The Raptor will be last to get it because it is the ones that least needs it, when we equip all of our older jets with the sight (circa 2008) the F-22 is stated to get the JHMCS as part of it's AIM-9X integration package. This also answers your previous question, the Raptor driver probably did not have on a JHMCS.

I would imagine that such a protrusion(NV attachment) right on the forehead
would cause considerable issues in a high G manuevers...

Especially when you're pulling these kinds of G's...

Moga noted that he recently pulled 10.2 Gs in the F-22, performing a pullout from a hard turn. The F-22's specifications say only that the aircraft can pull 9.5 Gs, but can take more, depending on "the ability of the pilot" to bear the pressure. Still, technicians checked the fighter for signs of strain but found none.

[edit on 19-5-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Just wanted to say you guys are awesome. This is the best forum on all of ATS.

My uncle was a pilot in the AF, my cousin is a jet pilot now. My dad was a gunner in a PBM 3C seaplane. (Patrol Bomber by Martin)

Bow gunner and bombardier and radar watch.

The only remaining one is in the bottom of a lake in Arizona...

[edit on 19-5-2007 by Badge01]

top topics

join