It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New monitor has somehow screwed everything up!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I know, it doesn't seem possible, but yesterday I bought a brand new wide screen LCD monitor, and it's managed to screw up a number of things on my computer. The first thing I noticed was that it was running slower. The next thing that happened was the sound devices mysteriously disappeared. My computer was acting as if there was absolutely nothing relating to sound installed on my computer. Luckily, with the help of a friend, those two problems have been fixed. The problem I'm facing now is the strangest yet. Everything runs fine, but when I try to watch videos or play games, they run very slow and choppy. I've tried everything - even bought a brand new video card! Just about an hour ago I actually restored my computer to Sunday (Before I even bought the monitor) and the problem is still persisting! Anybody have any ideas or a similar situation? Help would be greatly appreciated...seriously.

I know it seems impossible for a computer monitor to cause these kinds of problems, but that's what is is. Everything happened just when I plugged in this new monitor, and I never had any of these problems previously.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Did you plug the monitor into the computer's powersupply? That may have caused it. All I can think of is that which could end in power shortage but normally that would end in a freeze or a crash.

Try checking your power values with an app like Everest. You are also not supplying the name of your operating system, OSX, GNU/Linux, Windows..? etc...

[edit on 2007-5-20 by bracke]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
I know it seems impossible for a computer monitor to cause these kinds of problems, but that's what is is. Everything happened just when I plugged in this new monitor, and I never had any of these problems previously.

It does sound a bit strange for a monitor to have any influence on your PC performance. Perhaps if you gave the name of the screen you bought, as well as a short description of the rest of your system it could help us understand better?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Check and make sure your refresh rate is comparable to your monitor, Windows likes to set it to a frequency that is not optimum for your system. Also check and make sure vertical sync is turned off in your video settings. It will slow the vid down to match the monitor, which you do not want.

new topics

top topics

join