It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graphics Anomolies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Ok, this is really wierd, I have not encounted this problem before, and I cannot(and do not have the time) to diagnose it myself. I personally believe it's a Hardware problem, but if it turns out to be bad drivers then that would be a very good thing. Here is the anomolies.

Here are my specs.

AMD Athlon 64, 3500+, MMX, 2.2GHz
1500 DDR Ram
DirectX 9.0c
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO (PCI/E) 256 MB DDR3 VRAM
1440x900 32 bits 75Hz

Right now all I have time to do is reinstall DirectX and see if that helps, but I seriously doubt it. I'll post my full specs later on in the day if this hasn't been resolved. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I don't mind using my time to try to find the problem, but to know what the anomalies are I first must know what it was supposed to look.

If this is a screen-grab from a spreadsheet, for example, then you have BIG anomalies on your computer.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
There is a tear in the top-right portion of the screen as well as the left portion of the screen.

Sorry about not marking where it was, I thought I had done so, but I guess I never saved the changes.
Hope you can see it more clearly now.

[edit on 3-5-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I take it this is World of Warcraft? Apparently this is a common problem. According to some the problem comes in when your graphics card's refresh rate is larger than the game's. I.e. your graphics card refresh rate is 75 MHz, and the game is set to 60 MHz. Try setting the game's refresh rate to the same as your desktop's refresh rate.

According to them there's a patch by Blizzard that fixes the problem, but there's been a lot of complaining about the patch, so it's up to you whether you want to download it or not. (Some say the problem started after Patch 2.0...!!! So be ware if it's not too late!)

If you want to try something else you could try changing multisampling from x1 to x2 under WOW video option menu, top to the right scroll menu.

In the Blizzard forum they claimed that it's a graphics card overheating problem, which personally I think is BS, seeing that some people with liquid cooling still have the problem.
(Unless you're over-clocking this isn't the problem.)

Then there's some that claim it's a Windows Vista problem... My guess is you're still on XP?

The long and the short is, I don't have a black and white answer for you. No one seems to have one. Looking at the "Statistics" (i.e. the specs from all the complainers) it looks like the culprit is NVidia. I couldn't find one ATi "card-holder"
that complained with the same problem...

Maybe the official WoW Tech Support can steer you in another direction?

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
id your card overclocked?.. if so then it's running too hot and too high of frequency,if this is a card you tried to OC yourself,put the settings back to default.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It was the video card, I had to replace it while BFG sent me a new one(which I promptly sold hehe). It was a physical defect that effected thousands of 7900 PCI-E cards. It was an archetecture problem with only the 7900 series. It was so common that a couple of my friends had the exact same problem(they had the same card as I cuz I recommended it). Got an 8600 now and I'm loving it!

[edit on 16-9-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What you have is referred to as "tearing".

It is common of video cards that are over clocked and or overheating.

If you are over clocking "ANYTHING", bring it all back to stock clocks.

Since you are reinstalling direct x, may I also suggest you install the latest driver for your video card.

Does this occur anytime except "gaming"?

If it does, you 'MAY" have damaged your card.

You can remove the side panel of your computer-especially during gaming-and even place a fan blowing on the video card.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It was the videocard. The problem has been fixed for months. It wasn't overheating or anything like that, it was just a defective card. I know 2 other people whom this happenend to and it was all from the BFG 7900 OC.

top topics

join