It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists unlock key to longer life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Scientists unlock key to longer life

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=DNDBQ2LW13VDFQFIQMGCFF4AVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2007/05/02/nlong102.xml]www.telegraph.co.uk[/url ]

The day when humans could enjoy at least a partial “elixir of life”, a pill extending lifespan by up to 40 per cent, moves closer today with the discovery of a “longevity gene”.

Scientists discover key to 40 per cent longer lifespan
Scientists found a gene in a worm that links eating less with longer life

Researchers in America studying worms believe they have provided a key insight into the only proven way to live longer.

Scientists have discovered from 70 years studying creatures such as dogs, mice, yeast, fruit flies and nematode worms, that a reduction in calorie intake by 60 per cent of normal, while maintaining a healthy diet of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, consistently prolongs life by up to 40 per cent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Wow. Just what we need. Live longer. I thought the world's population was getting so grand, that they would like to decrease it by at least a third. Now we'll have so many people on this planet... living forever!

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=DNDBQ2LW13VDFQFIQMGCFF4AVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2007/05/02/nlong102.xml]www.telegraph.co.uk[/url ]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Umm... I'm not sure why the link didn't work, but I'll try it again.

source

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This is good. Maybe people will start changing their nutrition based on this new finding. Low caloric intake is not always good though. You start to loose weight rapidly depending on your activities. It is not good if you are looking into building lean muscle either. Never the less, who really wants to live 40% longer? I will be happy once I reach 100. Good find!

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I think this has been the common thought for years. Reduce your caloric intake and live longer. Maybe its because Ive been diabetic since childhood so we have always been taught this. I dunno.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well I'm certainly glad I started doing this awhile ago than.

I admit I do not follow the diet strictly, that is 900-1,000 calories a day,
but I've been trying.

Personally I intend to live forever, or at least a good portion of it, so I'm
glad of stuff like this.

Oh, and technically the Earth is'nt overpopulated yet, we just don't utilize
our resources in a responsible way.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
IIRC, some people think that the food reduction triggers or permits (can't recall which) expression of the sirtuin pathways.

It's not so much that the food reduction is good in and of itself, but processing the food takes up some resource in the cell that is also used to produce sirtuins.

Other guys think it's less a matter of reducing all foods, but reducing total methionine intake. If you cut down methionine and nothing else, you get the same 40%.

top topics

join