It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rosslyn's Frozen Music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Rosslyn Chapel continues to amaze us with revelations. Now, a puzzle from the 1400's seems to have been solved.

But, what does it mean? Is there a good reason for this melody to be intrically carved into the masonry (pun intended) of the chapel?

LINK

A Symbolic Symphony in Stone - 'Frozen Music'

Rosslyn Chapel holds a musical mystery in its architecture and design. At one end of the chapel, on the ceiling are 4 cross-sections of arches containing elaborate symbolic designs on each array of cubes (in actual fact they are rectangles mostly). The 'cubes' are attached to the arches in a musically sequential way. And to confirm this, at the ends of each arch there is an angel playing a musical instrument of a different kind. After 27 years of study and research by Stuart's father Thomas.J.Mitchell, we believe he has found the pitches and tonality that match the symbols on each cube, revealing its melodic and harmonic progressions. It is what we could call 'frozen music', a little like cryogenics. The music has been frozen in time by symbolism, it was only a matter of time before the symbolism began to 'thaw out' and begin to make sense to scientific and musical perception.
Tommy Mitchell (Stuart's father) unravelled the music from the symbolism and Stuart has produced the music using authentic instrumentation in the 1400's.
Tommy began work on this amazing project over 25 years ago and the Rosslyn Motet is the culmination of a wonderful collaboration with his son Stuart who is the production manager of the project.

NYT LINK

The 15th Century Rosslyn Chapel, about seven miles south of the Scottish capital Edinburgh, featured in the last part of Dan Brown's ``The Da Vinci Code'' -- one of the most successful novels of all time which has been turned into a Hollywood film.

Stuart Mitchell said he and his father were intrigued by 13 intricately carved angel musicians on the arches of the chapel and by 213 carved cubes depicting geometric-type patterns.

``They are of such exquisite detail and so beautiful that we thought there must be a message here,'' he told Reuters.

Years of research led the Mitchells to an ancient musical system called cymatics, or Chladni patterns, which are formed by sound waves at specific pitches.

CYMATICS

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This is by far the coolest thing that I have seen in weeks.
I am most interested in reading more about this phenomenon.
Thanks for bringing this to the forum.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Its been long believed by some, that when the notes/music was uncovered and played inside the chapel, that a hidden door or passage would be revealed.

I'm guessing nothing like this has happened?

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I just read about this at the CNN site. An excellent topic post, which I look forward to following. Good to see it's here.

Here's a related video:

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper

hmmm...i think it might have!

i wonder when they first played it? i couldn't find anything out on dates etc.

dude
your signature is hilarious!

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Cool find, masqua. Definitely flaggable.

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
Its been long believed by some, that when the notes/music was uncovered and played inside the chapel, that a hidden door or passage would be revealed.

Am I the only one that thought of the old Bob Hope movie, "Ghostbreakers"? It was remade as "Scared Stiff" with Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis. The climactic scene involves playing an organ using the "marching men" on the wall as the musical notes which opened a secret chamber.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
From the first link in the opening post, in case you hadn't clicked on it, there is a sound bite of the music itself.

What does it sound like?

This is the most important aspect of the entire project for most people and is best explained by listening to the music. The unusual combination of instruments, their dynamics, tunings and textures re-create a sound long forgotten from the past. The melodies are simple but harmonically develops and unfolds in the most simplistic but charming way. The sequential arrangement of the cubes at many times is a series of repeated notes/symbols signifying a more functional than aesthetic sense to the music. Sometimes it sounds a bit like a 'nursery rhyme' and there is also a feeling of a 'Celtic air' about the music, possibly connected to Orkney where the Sinclair's home once was. We will be recording the piece as authentically as possible using instruments and the correct Pythagorean medieval tunings of the 1400's.

www.tjmitchell.com...

BTW... I do not endorse buying the CD. I'll wait until the music is more thoroughly researched.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Uh-oh the Youtube video on the first post is removed by the user.Hmmmmm
Was masqua getting too close to something huge?

BTW did anyone catch the username of the uploader of that video?

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

dude
your signature is hilarious!

Well thank you, thank you very much.

And remember.... Clowns are our friends

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
This is an outstanding find. I'm wondering if these sounds are meant to open a stargate instead of a door. But a door would work too and perhaps lead to scrolls which solve the mystery of mankind.

The sounds are very high pitch frequencies but I cannot believe they are random. There must be a pattern within these sounds and it's meant to open something if played in proper order. IMHO!

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I made a thread on this exact subject, a little less than a year ago and would appriciate if you referred to it, or contributed to the discussion
- www.abovetopsecret.com...

(It was one of my first threads on ATS)

[edit on 2-5-2007 by Xeros]

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros
I made a thread on this exact subject, a little less than a year ago and would appriciate if you referred to it, or contributed to the discussion
- www.abovetopsecret.com...

Wow... I didn't know this story was from that long ago.

Sorry Xeros

Please direct all further commentary to the pre-existant thread.

closing this one.

[edit on 2/5/07 by masqua]

new topics

top topics

join