It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright Light Flash at Night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Hey, ive been looking at this site for a while now but only registered today so im pretty new :p
Recently ive been getting into stargazing with my friends dad, he has a few pairs of binoculars and for the past few days we borrowed a 150mm reflector telescope. However, the other night we was both sitting down just looking up and we saw a big flash overhead, seeming to get brighter then dimmed to nothing again. It lasted around 3 seconds, only quick but we had no idea what the hell it was, its happened twice now. Im thinking it coud have been a satelite passing over reflecting light but im not sure, just thought id post to see if anyone had seen anything like this before, or could explain to me what it might be.

Thanks Rayzr.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
*Removed entire quote of previous post*

Waht time was it?

Very likely a satellite flare, probably an Iridium flare. I see them all the time. They last for a few seconds and can be very bright. There are a couple of satellite observing web sites where you can get predictions of these. Heavens Above is probably the best known.

Mod Edit: Quoting Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1-5-2007 by sanctum]

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It was ruffly between 10-11pm south east england,

I thought it must have been a satelite, only explanation i could think of,

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
rayzr

This time last year I used to see flashes at a similar time and I live in the very South East of England.

I had to stop looking out of the upstairs window at night after a few weeks, as I think my wife though that I was becoming a 'Peeping Tom'!

One other explanation could be flashes from trains when they ‘ark’ on the rails - this does send out a large flash and can be visible over large distances, both horizontally and vertically. Do you have a railway line nearby?

If I can, I will keep a lookout too.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Sounds like an iridium flare, visit that heavens above site disownedsky posted and you can set your location down to city/town area or by coordinates, then see how many flares will appear in the next 24 hours or 7 days, there should be loads, you get a few really bring ones every week.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
There is a railway that runs past the back of his house! Couldnt hear any trains though at the time!

Hehe ''peeping tom'' !

Ill be looking again tonight! At the stars nothing elese

new topics

top topics

join