It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Windows Service !?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I have a strange service that's loaded on my computer. I'm running XP Pro.
I've never seen this service. I does not have a description. It was set to Automatic until I disabled it. I looked up the word "samces" on Google with no luck. It's very bizarre. My Pc has been acting up for weeks. The screen will black out for a few seconds, then the wallpaper and cursor will come back without any desktop icons. I can't click or right-click on the desktop and the keyboard stops responding. The pc continues to run but I can't do a thing. Does anyone know what I should do?

Here is the properties of Samces. This part kind of makes me wonder if someone has backdoored into my pc, because I don't have a password that is 15 characters long, and I don't remember creating another hardware profile.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I have not heard of that service either...
One thing though... Passwords in Windows NT are usually encrypted. So it shows the password being the encrypted length. So the password could only be 6 characters long.

One idea would to run AdAware and see if it picks anything up with the same name of that service. If you are unsure about it... You could just disable it/delete it. It is nothing to do with Windows functioning from what I know.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I do personally think it is Trojan.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Look here for all of the default services that run on XP Pro...

www.blackviper.com...

I don't see this service on the list.

Could mean you've been backdoored. Or it could be that you installed an app that has this packaged with it.

You can disable the service and reboot, that would be the smart thing to do until you find out what it's purpose is.

[Edited on 2-1-2004 by Dr. Know]

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'm not having much luck finding anything on this. Do you have any antivirus running on your PC? If not, I would suggest investing.

Here, get a free scan from McAfee just incase.

us.mcafee.com...

If you running broadband, you can download a free firewall (if you don't already have one) from Zonelabs. I use it and have zero problems. Easy config and maintenance. You can also check with Black Ice Defender. It is an excellent firewall, however you have to pay for it.

www.zonelabs.com...
blackice.iss.net...

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I havent found anything on this either.......

have you tried running adaware and spybot? it could be spyware of some sort...

if you run both of these applications they tend to pick up what the other one missed... and they're both free.

adaware you can get

here

and spybot can be found

here

hope this helps

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I can tell you right away it's not a common Windows XP services. Hell, it's not even a microsoft services, else it would have a description.

I personnaly hate when softwares install stuff as 'services', so if you find out wich on did, and don't really need it, or could use an alternative, I would uninstall it.

Weird, cuz I also searched, and found nothing. And I'm usually pretty good at digging info about strange services. Must be something recent. As some other members said, try anti-spyware softwares. (I recommend ad-aware and spybot, both available on download.com for free)

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I did run SpyBot but all it came up with was cookie ads.
I went to BlackViper as well. I use his service manuals a lot.
Yes, I do have anti-virus. I'm using AVG (Free edition).
I am stumped. I disabled it, and have not had any problems since. (2 days)
I wish there was a way to simply remove it, like you can in registry. Does anyone know how to actually remove the service as an option?
Thank you all for taking time out to help me.

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by darklanser]

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Here ya go, doll.
www.theeldergeek.com...
At the bottom there's instructions to delete it thru the registry. Good luck!

-B.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Back up your registry first

Banshee

So you're a wrestler AND a geek?!?!?! OMG, you're just too hot. Seriously. You're turning me on. (j/k)

new topics

top topics

join