It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the RIAA Pulling a Scam on the Music Industry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Is the RIAA Pulling a Scam on the Music Industry?

www.dailykos.com

There has been an understandable public outcry against the RIAA’s attempts to more than triple the sound recording copyright royalties on Internet radio. (See Save Internet Radio from Corporate Money Grab) One solution proposed by Webcasters is to just not play RIAA-member songs under the assumption that then they don’t have to pay the royalty to the RIAA’s collection body, SoundExchange; Webcasters would then just pay the independent artist the royalty.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
So now after RIAA pretend to be SWAT to get money , and want to lock up children and grandmothers - they now have truely gone mad and claim everything.

yep thats right :

RIAA claims ownership of ALL the music in the world, even music they don't own!!

www.dailykos.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30/4/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
F-ing RIAA!! Ever been to their website. What a piece of crap that one is. Real informative the RIAA. Love how they think they can own all the rights to music everywhere when they only deal within the United States. Every other country has it's own system and agency dealing with album sales certification.

I think RIAA could be absorbed into soundscan and nobody would notice. Honestly Soundscan does the same thing as RIAA except they have more info than RIAA and actually supply a service I can use.

If RIAA pisses you off, you should read up on Doug Morris-the lets sue everybody in the world on behalf of the record industry shmuck. He'll get your blood boiling.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I just gotta plug Magnatune and eMusic because all of their music is not affiliated in anyway with the RIAA, and it's all DRM-free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, CDBaby is a great place to buy CDs.

Magnatune splits their revenue 50/50 with its artists. CDBaby pays $6 to $12 per sale to its artists, and pays every week. I couldn't find any information about how eMusic divvies up its revenues. All of them pretty much only sell indie music.

[edit on 4/30/2007 by supercheetah]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The RIAA can operate "under the assumption" that they will collect royalties on all songs in the world; that does not mean that they have the legal right to do so, or the right to sue or harrass those podcasters and internet radio stations that play non-RIAA music. My solution is to play only "podsafe" music, that is music written and performed by artists not currently signed to a record label, and let the RIAA go piss up the road. If they sue, then we go to court and let them show how they have the legal right to collect on music they don't own.

The RIAA does npt have that right, though they want you to believe they do; The Librarian of Congress does not have the authority to assign that right on music not registered with the LOC. This is one of those times where civil diosobedience is called for to give this issue and the podcasters and radio owners the redress of grievances they deserve.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by supercheetah
I just gotta plug Magnatune and eMusic because all of their music is not affiliated in anyway with the RIAA, and it's all DRM-free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, CDBaby is a great place to buy CDs.

Magnatune splits their revenue 50/50 with its artists. CDBaby pays $6 to $12 per sale to its artists, and pays every week. I couldn't find any information about how eMusic divvies up its revenues. All of them pretty much only sell indie music.

[edit on 4/30/2007 by supercheetah]

Quite right. I use Magnatune all the time and find great music there.
Audiosparx.com is another place to find non-RIAA music although you must pay up front for the right to play the music (about $37) and the license is limited to six months. Still, it is Indie music by artists that would never get a contract or get listened to without podcasters and internet radio.

But if podcasters and internet radio stations do not stand up for their rights and refuse to be bullied and harrased by the RIAA, it won't matter; Magnatune Emusic and Audiosparx will all be out of business, along with all the other providers of internet music.

[edit on 4/30/2007 by Stormrider]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
ATSers here in the US should contact their Congresscritter to save net radio.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
That call has gone out already; although it doesn't hurt to make it again!

Here is the link to the thread that Sceptic Overlord started a while ago. I personally have sent emails and faxes to my Congressman and both Senators; I received a form letter from my Congressman, an outright defense of the CRB from one Senator and nothing from the second Senator, although it has been over 2 weeks since she received my correspondence.

If you are reading this thread and this is the 1st you have heard about this crisis, please, write, email or fax your elected representatives in Washington and ask them to support the Internet Radio Equality Bill, HR2060.This is a matter of life and death for internet radio and podcasters who use music in thier podcasts. Don't let the CRB and SoundExchange ride roughshod over the right of internet radio stations to a fair rate of royalty fees, and your right to hear music on the internet.

MBF

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

So now after RIAA pretend to be SWAT to get money , and want to lock up children and grandmothers - they now have truely gone mad and claim everything.

yep thats right :

RIAA claims ownership of ALL the music in the world, even music they don't own!!

I remember that when CD's first came out, there was this same fight about royalties. The best I can remember, there was a special tax put on CD-R's to pay the royalties. Doesn't anybody else remember this? If this tax is still on the CD-R's, why should anybody have to pay RIAA anything if music is recorded to a CD-R?

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
RIAA would get a portion of their funding from each cassette tape sold, even blank ones, and when that medium expired, they moved onto the CD. Now that the CD is almost expired, they are panicking and finding new ways to make money.

This is their form of revenue for the future, considering that many more people are downloading music from sites like iTunes, than buying CDs. Without this revenue, RIAA would have ended up where the cassette tape is now...in history.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by supercheetah
ATSers here in the US should contact their Congresscritter to save net radio.

I contacted my Senators and my Representative about this, and received this from Congressman Michael Arcuri:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns with the recent Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) decision to increase music royalties. I appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with me, and I'm glad we agree in this issue.

I'm pleased to inform you that I have cosponsored the Internet Radio Equality Act (H.R. 2060), which would vacate the CRB's decision and set a new standard rate for commercial and noncommercial internet radio providers. As you know, the CRB recently voted to increase music royalties by 300 percent for large internet radio stations and up to 1200 percent for small internet radio stations. For most of these stations, an increase this large in royalty payments will far exceed their gross revenues and subsequently bankrupt them.

There are currently thousands of small internet radio stations operating in the U.S. streaming a wide variety of genres that are difficult to find on non-existent on regular AM of FM radio. Although media consolidation so often diminishes the quality of radio by eliminating local music and news programming, internet radio fills this void with diverse, innovative programming that offers opportunities to independent musicians, labels, and small entrepreneurs. Please be assured that I will work with my colleagues to prevent the loss of these invaluable stations.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. To receive updates on my work in New York and Washington, visit my website at arcuri.house.gov to sign up for my regular e-newsletter. Please don't hesitate to contact me again if I can be of help on this or any other matter.

new topics

top topics

join