It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters And Military See Red As Islamist Heads For The Presidency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Protesters And Military See Red As Islamist Heads For The Presidency

www.timesonline.co.uk

Hundreds of thousands of secularist Turks took to the streets for the second time in two weeks yesterday after a dramatic intervention by the military in an attempt to stop Abdullah Gul becoming the first Turkish President with an Islamist past.

Demonstrators in Istanbul carried blood-red national flags and posters of Kemal Atatürk, the founder of a secular Turkey. Banners read: “Sharia (Islamic law) shall not rise to the Presidential Palace.”

The protests came after the military gave warning that it would act to defend secularism – although the two events were not apparently coordinated. The developments, however, herald a week of high tension in which the Constitutional Court is due to rule on a challenge to Friday’s inconclusive first round of the presidential election.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Sunnis Vowing To Drive Al-Qaeda Out Of Iraq
Australia: Hilali and Four other Clerics Gagged by Muslim leaders

[edit on 4/30/2007 by shots]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
99.8 percent of those living in Turkey are mostly Sunni Muslim so does this mean that moderate Muslims are finally taking a stand against those that support Sharia laws?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I've been sort of following this for the last week or so, it is interesting.

I fully support the Turkish people there wanting to keep this individual
from ascending to the presidency, even if the role does not have all the
same executive powers as say the presidency of the U.S. does.

I hope that they are successful in keeping this individual, who really does
represent the negative sect/side of Islam from coming to power.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Sharia law is really no different than Canon law or Talmudic law. There really is no reason to see it as some form of threat. A more relevant question should be who is interpreting that law, a liberal, a moderate, an orthodox or an extremist? After all each will interpret it differently.

All that is really moot anyway Turkey is a long standing democracy that has made a place for the military in politics to provide brakes on the body politic, preventing it from going in extreme directions. It is a role the military takes very seriously. Several times over the past century the military has taken over the reigns of the government from civilian control and provided a cooling down period before calling new elections and then returning to the barracks. There is no reason to think this time it will be different.

Point of reference, extremists of any sort can only take control over unstable societies with weak governments and weak social institutions. Turkey is none of those.

[edit on 30-4-2007 by grover]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
There really is no reason to see it as some form of threat.

If there is no reason to worry why then did so many turn out to protest?
Had a couple of thousand only turned out I might agree but hundreds of thousands makes one wonder.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Primarily because as I understand it Islamic funnymentalists are an extreme minority in Turkish culture and that this person happens to represent a minority even within that minority.

I am just pointing out that Sharia law is nothing more than religious law and as such is not a threat in and of itself. For example JFK as a practicing Catholic was was answerable to Canon law but that did not make it the law of the land. The same is true of Mitt Romney, should he become president he, religiously, would be answerable to the prophet and church law but that would not make it the law of the land.

This fellow as I understand it wants to make Sharia law the law of the land and that as such runs counter to the currents of Turkish society. But as I mentioned about the Turkish military, they will not let that happen.

[edit on 30-4-2007 by grover]

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Well it would appear this could get interesting the supreme court according to the BBC scroll is now saying they have overturned the election results, followed by more soon.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
this certainly is interesting regarding Turkeys bid to join the EU and I'm sure it could affect the property market there, a lot of Brits are looking to buy second homes in Turkey on the strength of it joining the rest of Europe in the near future, this kind of unrest won't do them any favours in that respect

new topics

top topics

join