It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Toys Read Brain Waves

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   

New Toys Read Brain Waves

news.yahoo.com

Behind the mask is a sensor that touches the user's forehead and reads the brain's electrical signals, then sends them to a wireless receiver inside the saber, which lights up when the user is concentrating. The player maintains focus by channeling thoughts on any fixed mental image, or thinking specifically about keeping the light sword on. When the mind wanders, the wand goes dark.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.neurosky.com
www.emotiv.com
www.smartbraingames.com

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Welcome to the Future.

The brain wave technology is not exactly new, since it was used in medical purposes, but this really is kind of a breakthrough for larger masses in the entertainment technology. Playing video games by only using your mind is something out of a sci-fi movie - but not anymore. This headset developed by NeuroSky can monitor basic changes in mood and focus, including signals that relate to concentration, relaxation and anxiety. Which actually means, that players can control their video games characters only by their thoughts, without touching computer mouse, jopad or joystick.

Virtual telekinesis?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I read about that this morning. It's MAJOR COOL. Who knows what 'toys' there will be in the near future. It's really amazing and I'm starting to feel like The Jetsons or something.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
yeah thats biofeedback
old stuff

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Finally, someone decided to post this. I seen it when it first popped up and decided no, I'll let someone else do this one. Reason: I'm not up with all this technology stuff.

However, I just want to say I don’t like it.

I’m sure the rest of the world will. Just personally for me I don’t like it.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
You are not alone Shar- I don't like it either. That is one toy I will not be buying for my kids. That just creeps me out.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
i am glad that some find it repulsive. conditioning you to accept the fact that they can take anything from your brain they want.

do you remember when they said that gw bush, wanted everyone in the usa to have a brain scan, and people said how can they brain scan 300 million people, these toys make you think.

personally i think that mobile phones operate on the same frequencies as the human brain for a reason, i have never liked them either.

just nice to see others not liking this toy, but kids of tomorrow will just think that brain scanning is second nature, and thought reading applications will come, into the mainstream one day. just more conditioning

[edit on 4/30/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
What you guys dont like it? why?
Its seems really good to me.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
What you guys dont like it? why?
Its seems really good to me.

it conditions people to brain scanning, and makes it more acceptable. people of tomorrow may find the government scanning there brains second nature, where as past generations would like to think that there brains are theres alone, and what goes on in there is theres alone, but not any more.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
There are positive and negative points to almost everything. And the same is with this brain wave reading technology. It can be used for great purposes, to help certain individuals to send orders at the computer with their mind only, if they are incapable of using their body. It can be also used for fun - to play video games or to control your computer only by thinking about that. It also can be used in the military, when the pilot of an airplane for example can just think about certain orders, and the computer can read those and execute them without the pilot even pressing a button (as it was pictured in a 80's movie called FireFox, where the a pilot is sent into the Soviet Union on a mission to steal a prototype jet fighter that can be partially controlled by a neuralink).

But of course this same technology can also be used for more sinister purposes, as some pointed out, that soon the Big Bro will start to scan our brains for their own not so good intentions. I think it is a brave new world, but as usualy this kind of technology shall end up in the wrong hands at the end and it will probably be used for something more scary then just video games.

One more thing; we usually receive this kind of "New" technology with a certain delay, since the big bad corporations have this kind of revolutionary inventions for themselves and do not want to share them with general public for a long time. Image how long has this been around, before it was neatly packaged as a "Toy"? For what was it used? Now there is something members of ATS should focus on...

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Thanks

Souljah,

Now thankyou for the scary thought.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
what people should worry about is that all words you think create electrical potentials in the brain. supposedly back in the 50's they got a vocalbury of words that people use and each of those potentials, from scanning peoples brains while they were told to think a certain word.

i cannot verify it happened in the 50's but if they did do this in the 50's what sort of technology do you think they would have to day. does pain also show up like words do in the brain, how about what happens when you are angry or sad.

but just remember kids of tomorrow will grow up, living all the time in a world where brain scanning is accpetable from an early age, and they will not see it as a big threat like we do today.

but i do agree that like all technologies, it will also have some good applications, but through conditioning kids to accept such things now, where will this lead.

they reckon in a few years you will plug yourself into your computer games to feel, and sense what is happening like it was really going on and your senses where picking up these things. just imagine playing a soccer game, and feeling what a real scorer would feel when they score, because you have some sort of port on you like in the matrix film, where you can plug yoourself in.

for me its a dangerous future, and i will always remember what orwell said in 1984, where he stated "if you want to know the future, just imagine a big boot stamping on a human head forever".

just how they will mess around with our reality, with things like harrp, and these things here, time will only tell, but we are heading further into a dream state, and will the huiman race ever have a chance to wake up again.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This is gooooooooood.

I can't wait until my fridge has one of these built into it so all I have to do is sit on my sofa with the headband on, think "Beer!" and the refrigerator comes rolling over to me, opens its door, reaches in and hands me a frosty, cold can of mind-numbing goodness.

Does this work when you are schnockered?

(BTW, to all the underage posters here at ATS, I do NOT endorse drinking and brain scanning. Don't Scan Drunk.)

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Now lets try to remember folks, there's a grave difference between playing a video game and being scanned. The machines will all be programmed to do different things, I don't believe that this is by any means conditioning people to give up their privacies. Also, if you're a true gamer (as I am) you will have nothing, I repeat, you will have NOTHING else on your mind EXCEPT for the game you're playing.

If you are thinking of other things, it's because you're not paying attention to what's going on in the screen. So if you're playing an FPS like Battlefield 2, the government won't really be surprised if you start yelling "Incoming bombs!"

Some people look at advancements in technology and see a new way to be controlled, I look at these kinds of technologies and go "Cool, new stuff to play with". They won't be invading your privacy if all you're concentrating on is a video game, what will they have to gain from when you're playing a game? Maybe corporations might use this for subliminal advertising and such, but that's about it.

These technologies open up a whole new market and a whole new audience. We need to embrace technologies like this and make sure they're used properly, else what we fear most really will happen.

Besides, there's not many more freedoms they can take from me considering what's already been taken.

These machines once again, are programmed to do different things and not all of them will invade your privacy, we need to know the machines we buy. Knowledge is your best weapon against those you hate.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This is a very cool development.

I've always wondered how long it would be before we started seeing this
technology come about.

Personally, I may just end up buying a PS3 controller version for GTA: 4,
since if I read correctly the mindlink controllers will be sold this summer,
and since GTA:4 comes out in the fall, I'd have time to learn how to use it.

Personally I don't have a problem with this technology, I am an advocate
of further technological development and utilization, so this is more
something I approve of.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
well I'll say it's not cool.

I don't need nor do I want my brain to be scanned and read by the government period. No ands, ifs, or buts about it.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Not saying no, and, if, or but, I'm saying that the government isn't going to get any useful information out of that and you're brain isn't being scanned in the sense that you think it is.

You're brain isn't being scanned to look for commands that say "move right, jump up" it's looking for emotions in the forms of brain waves on a certain frequency. Although studies have been made into the brain waves that send out speech or thought, that's not what this technology sets out to tap into.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Souljah said -

"Big Bro will start to scan our brains for their own not so good intentions. I think it is a brave new world, but as usualy this kind of technology shall end up in the wrong hands at the end and it will probably be used for something more scary then just video games.

One more thing; we usually receive this kind of "New" technology with a certain delay, since the big bad corporations have this kind of revolutionary inventions for themselves and do not want to share them with general public for a long time. Image how long has this been around, before it was neatly packaged as a "Toy"? For what was it used? Now there is something members of ATS should focus on..."

NASA proposed to read peoples minds at airports after 911, - What else they might have in store. Dizziness results from video gaming in women; hormonal and biological differences. Men perceive screens differently, they don't get nauseas playing video games. The middle ear is impacted for women. Women get sick quicker and better faster than men. More frail and more resilient in frame and immune systems.

Presumably damaging trends show up second in the female population, children being most vulnerable, are first. The cell phone industry is completely unregulated, running up absurd $700 and more dollars a month phone bills. People compliantly pay them - less demand for legislation than when the phone contractor's starting stealing customers from the somewhat predictable monopolies from whom they contracted cables.

The point being, with legislation protecting the consumer more flaccid than the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) - No way of tracking damages or logging a central data base of possible side effects of privatized medicine - (Pharmacology) - and less from genetically modified foods: It's likely there will be little way of regulating any ethics marketers will be tempted to ignore.

There are vast armies of psychologists working on ways to sell your children toys they don't need containing plastics that are probably harmful to them. Foods that aren't good for them, but they've been told taste delicious. One study conducted, revealed the efficiency of the nag factor. So commercials are now being produced that encourage children to nag their parents. Apparently the longer the nagging goes on the more likely the parent is to give in. There are far fewer psychologists hired to expose or protect the public against practices that threaten the moral character of a nation.

The potential for abuse by creating a toy that might stimulate a pleasure center is present. Also, this is the perfect vehicle for insinuating the technology into a culture. A young audience is a loyal audience. People remember the corporate logos of youth like family. Essentially creating a compliant market in 20 or 40 years for interactive brain chip surveillance. Nasa already proposed it for 2002. It's part of the rising Total Information Awareness program.

Private companies currently comprise the predominance of intelligence gathering and research into profiling, aggregating data and predetermining potential likes, dislikes and behaviors. Private companies can now track every financial transaction an individual makes. The artificial intelligence tools provided by Searchspace permit banks to extract divergent profiling information about customers such as - Is their behavior abnormal, do they have appropriate associates, are they a likely terrorist, etc.

Lockheed Martin Corporation's division - Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance has a long history of working with the government on secret projects. Biometrics, language analysis, non obvious relationship awareness, artificial intelligence (Novel Intelligence from Massive Data) are all in use right now, not only a an anti-terrorist tool, but as a market determinant. Billions of dollars and dozens of companies are bidding for government contracts in the new 'war on terror world'.

Some scientists are calling for a public moratorium on the ethics of the researched brain technology. Public awareness can at least increase the chances of demands for protective legislation against the potentials for abuse. Awareness is up for sale these days:

The potential for abuse is sweeping.

Just some of the companies (not a comprehensive list) who know more about you than you do about them.

Abacus Direct Corp., AbiliTec, Accenture, Accurint, Acxiom, ADVO system Inc., Air IQ, American Data Resources, American Teleservices Association, Applied Digital Solutions, Auto Track, Aviation Security,
Aware Inc., Behaviour Track, BiLo Markets, Bio-Key International, Biometrica, Biometric Access Corporation, Biometric Consortium, Bio-Pay, Bode Technology Group, Booz Allen Hamilton Inc., BTi Employee Screening Services, CACI Dynamic Solutions, Choicepoint, Cisco Systems, Civitas Group, COINTELPRO, Comdex, Comverse Technology, CONUS Intelligence Operations, CRONUS, Customer Development Corporation, Customer Relationship Management, CVS, DATA Intel Mart, Data Quicklist Service, DATEQ, DBT Online, Demographics Company, Denver Copwatch, Direct Marketing Association, Docusearch Inc., eData.com, eDirect, Elensys, Entity Resolution, Equifax, Experian, Experian Marketing Service, EZ Pass System, Fair Issac and Company, Financial Services Roundtable, FinCEN, Gartner Inc., Genisys, Genoa Project, GRID Computing, Groove Networks, Hicks & Associates Inc., HNC Software, IBM Corporation, IBM Tivoli Systems, Identix, ImageData, iMap Data, InfoBase Enhancement, InfoBase Profiler System, InfoBase Telesource, Infoglide Software Corporation, In-Q-Tel, In-Spire, Intel, Intelligence Community Meta-Data Working Group, Intellitag, Internal Biometrics Industry Association, I Rent America, Iridian Technologies, I.R.S.C. Inc., Jetblue, JMP Consulting, Law Enforcement Information Network, LexisNexis, Lockheed Martin Corporation, Market Intelligence Group, Metro Card, Metro Risk, Mitre Corporation, Naviant, OnStar, OPnet, Orion Scientific Solutions, Phone Data Express, Partners Marketing, Personicx, Pinkertons, Precision Response Corporation, PROPS, P-Trak, Quantum Leap, QVC, R.L. Polk company, Rasky/Baerlin Group, Raytheon Communications Infrared, Raytheon Corporation, Reed Elsevier Group, Retail Credit Company, Reuben H Donnelly Corporation, Risk-Wise, Rodale Company, Sabre Company, SafeTzone System, SAIC, SAMSys Technologies, Searchspace, Security Focus.com, Seisint Inc, Soluciones Mercadologicas en Bases de Datos, Sun Microsystems, Synovate, Systems Research and Development Company, Target Corporation, Targus Information Corporation, TCP/IP, Templar Corporation, TowerGroup, TransCore, Triligeant Corporation, TrueID Technology, UBS, ULTRA Customer Intelligence Analytics, VeriChip System, Verint Systems, Viisage, Visionics Corporation, VitalChek Network, WiFi,

Some relative Terms:
Artificial Intelligence Software, Background Screening, Behavioural Profiling, Biometric Identifiers - Face Recognition Systems - Fingerprints - Iris Scanners - Skin Prints - Voice Analyzers, Brain Scanning Proposal, Carnivore (DCS1000), CLUE (Comprehensive loss underwriting exchange system), NORA -Non Obvious Relationship Awareness, Geospatial visualization, Global Positioning System, Grid computing, DARPA-HSARPA (Homeland Security Advanced Research Projects Agency), Information Exploitation Initiative, JRIES (Joint Regional Information Exchange System), Language Analysis Systems, Matrix (Multi State Anti-Terrorism Information Exchange), HOle, NIMD (Novel Intelligence from Massive Data), RFID (Radio Frequency Identification), Security Industrial Complex

Some of the government agencies involved:
Armed Forces Security Agency, Advanced Research Development Activity, Central Intelligence Agency, Conus intelligence operations, Department of Defense, Defense Advanced Research Projects, Defense Intelligence Agency, Drug Enforcement Agency, Federal Bureau of Investigations, Federal Communications Commissions, Federal Trade Commission, Food and Drug Administration, Foreign Intelligence Surveillance, Homeland Security Advanced Research Projects, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, National Crime Information Center, National Data Retrieval, National Defense Industry Association, National Fraud Industry, National Security Agency, National Security Council, Office of Naval Research, Secret Service

Marketing these toys is preemptive marketing, it insuring an amenable market in 20 years for use of invasive brain technology.

[edit on 30-4-2007 by clearwater]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Ive been a Gamer for a long time.. and I certainly understand that some people might find this kind of stuff "Cool."
But when people get older they often lose interest in gaming or playing around with redundant, useless things.
If you place the gimmicks and useless feats on one side of the balance, and place the potential risk of governmental technology abuse on the other side.. you will soon realize that this kind of useless things should be prevented.

In history many people have at first uttered their skepticism about new technologies. When trains were invented, people asked themselves if humans could die travelling at such speeds. And there are many more examples...
There is one thing those seemingly "ridiculous" examples have in common.. The majority often laughed about skepticism. Not worrying about any possible effects themselves..

But who guarantees us that the frequencies used in current communication systems cannot provoque cancer? Who guarantees us that technologies are not abused for Mind Control.. while it is still happening today?
Who guarantees that technologies are not abused for horrible scenarios without free will and individuality?

The Corporates? Or our own government?
Corporate Scientists? I don't trust them at all. So it's up to us.

Therefore skepticism is absolutely natural and essential. People at least thought about new developments critically and asked questions.
Nowadays people tend not to think themselves.. and leave thinking to "others".
That is basically the reason why it was possible for us to get in such a mess in first place. People should seriously verify for themselves if a development is tolerable, or if it is too dangerous. Because there are no institutions who will do this task for us.

We should really consider renouncing useless toys and other gimmicks in favor of cultural "safety". No matter what minimally useful applications they throw at us to swallow their perverted excrements.

Imagine a world where you get arrested for "thoughts of revolution".. before even discussing plans or opinions with likeminded people.

Do you really need a toy to know how you feel or what you think?
Do you really want other people or objects to receive the power and responsability to decide over our most basic and natural abilities?...

.... in favor of ....

Games and Gimmicks?

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I have on thing to say.

I am not going to give up my freedom to use such technology in the name
of preventing certain people from using it negatrively.

The freedom of the individual (so long as you are'nt directly and non-
consetingly infringing on others freedoms) is more important than the
group.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join