It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Privacy rant about posting personal information.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed.....
Maybe I've just had enough of regulatory types wanting my name, SS, and phone number......
Maybe I drank to much Koolaid and my tinfoil hat is too tight.
Maybe I'm in the wrong.......whatever.....I need to vent.

I recently was reading through the AR15.com forums about rifles and SHTF scenarios (I know...I shoulda come here 1st, shame on me) and I wanted to chime in, so I tried to register and reply.....

...and I was told that since I used an "anonymous" email service like yahoo or gmail that I was not allowed to post there and that I would need to register with a verifiable email address.

Now ...I know I could have just chosen not to post or ever visit this website again. But I really get irritated lately when people I don't know start asking me to give them private information about myself for there own uses. I am certainly guilty of giving this info out in the past....I'm not sure what made this event any different other than the fact that I've just about had enough of it.....So I decided to send them forum "owner" ( a Mr. Ed Avila) an email explaining my concerns.

This is how the conversation went.:

Why do you not allow gmail or yahoo mail users to log onto your website? I do not like/use comcast, qwest or whoever my service provider is because they are not convenient, nor do I like their mail programs.

Do you have any good explanation for this? I enjoy your forums and would like to contribute, but this issue irritates me.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply,

Due to world events, the current global environment, and the sensitive nature of our site, Sniper's Paradise implemented a policy in November 2002, in which all members must possess a valid, traceable email address in order to preserve the integrity of our organization. There are few valid reasons not to have a REAL email address. The registration software will reject free email address, such as hotmail, yahoo, freemail, etc.

YOU CAN NOT USE FREE EMAIL ACCOUNTS WIHOUT APPROVAL

The software will check your email address against a list of “free” email addresses. (IE Hotmail, yahoo, as well as about 800 other addresses). If your address is on the list, you will not be able to complete the registration process and you will not get access to the forums. If you can only use a free email account due to Active Duty OPSEC regulations, contact us and we will take it case by case.

YOU MUST USE A VALID EMAIL ACCOUNT

The software will email you a validation email immediately after you register. If you do not receive the email and click on the link in that email, the software will not let you in. Check your email in 2-5 minutes after registering.

Ed Avila Sr
to me, Info, accounts

show details
Apr 28 (20 hours ago)
We have a good explanation, but your tone irritates me as much as the
requirement irritates you.
----------------------------------------------------------
My response,

Thats the answer I thought I was going to get.

I regret to say that I will not be a contributing member of your site and I will encourage my friends to avoid your site as well.

This "911"/"war on terror stuff" is really a load of garbage. That excuse has been used to do everything from look at my bank account to listen to my phone calls. All WITHOUT my approval or consent, and I will NOT perpetuate this line of thinking by allowing you to do it either.

You have NO/ZERO/ZIP/NADA reason to know who I am, unless I want you to. Being as I have NO idea who YOU are or anything other than the fact that you operate a website, you will not be receiving this information from me. If you send me your location, address, name, phone number and engage with me in a nice conversation, I might reconsider.

I happen to be a law abiding, responsible citizen who cares about my personal privacy and consider it a shame that you don't value individual freedom over "security" or some imagined fear of a lawsuit. To paraphrase something Benjamin Franklin said many years ago, "Those who give up essential liberty for a little security, deserve neither."

Have a nice day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ed Avila Sr
to Striker, me

show details
5:46 am (5 minutes ago)
This has nothing to do with wanting to know who you are, fear of lawsuits,
giving up security or any other tinfoil issues. It has to do wit wanting to
have a responsible ISP to whom we can complain if a member causes problems
in the site.
I post with my name, and anyone who wants to know has my address and phone
number.I do not live in fear, like you seem to live.I suppose when the
military fingerprinted you, you declined to maintain your privacy

Anyway, our quota of paranoid, arrogant teenagers is filled, so we do not
need any more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response,

Hell of a way to run a forum there. Insulting readers. Good job.

I don't live in fear. I just try to be prepared, responsible and I am private.

I'm nowhere near a teenager (or even in the military for that matter).
I suppose all of the identity theft and privacy violations have just skipped your notice lately. Being a gun owner site, I'd think you'd be more sensitive to this than most people. I find it disturbing that you just callously disregard my concerns. They are not "imagined" fears....this stuff is actually happening all across the country ALL the time. AT&T/FBI....DOD defense laptops.....website user names and personal information from a multitude of sites....blah blah blah......the list is endless. To ignore that is happening is just ridiculous and irresponsible.

So what if I say something you don't agree with. Isn't that what moderators are for? To censor potential trouble makers or delete offensive posts. You don't need to know who my freaking ISP is, or who I am (even though that information is probably fairly easily attained anyway).

I started my inquiry without making a single personal attack against you, and I sincerely asked you about my concerns with your policy and even complimented you on your site and you respond with snarky comments and offensive statements. Nice.

I'm glad I got a taste of who you really are before I ever joined your site. I'll be posting an editorial about all this with a lot of other forums that I frequent (that don't require ANY of that information) and let people judge for themselves. Maybe some negative PR will help your sore attitude.

Sincerely,
Tin Foil Hat Guy.

Was I just WAY wrong here?.....do I need a reality check?....or do you think I had a valid argument here?

I'm rather isolated and my main source of social interaction is via forum or email and I'm sure I can be a bit touchy sometimes, so maybe I'm just blowing this all out of proportion.....but this just really rubbed me the wrong way.

Lemme know what you guys think.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
No at the moment I'm checking it out as well. This is very odd. I never heard of any one not accepting hardly any email address. I think these guys are up to no good.

You had every right to be upset- you tell em.

[edit on 5/2/2007 by Leyla]

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Sorry for the double post this is something I do try to avoid at all cost. The edit button as gone from the message I wrote before.

But this AR15 seems to be okay I hope they don't try to sell guns just to anyone. They seem to encourage on taking gun classes. All you have to do through your internet provider you should be able to use email through them. I did on mine.

[edit on 5/3/2007 by Leyla]

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I totally agree with you! It seems today Big Brother is everywhere.. Soon we will have the "thought police" and swat on ever corner than the normal patrol officer.. You did the right thing and used Freedom Of Speech to it's peak when you complained to the higher up.. God...Damm i'm proud of you!

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadSeason313
I totally agree with you! It seems today Big Brother is everywhere.. Soon we will have the "thought police" and swat on ever corner than the normal patrol officer.. You did the right thing and used Freedom Of Speech to it's peak when you complained to the higher up.. Damm i'm proud of you!

I did try to join but at the moment my internet email provider is down. These folk seem to be a bit on the paranoid side. You can still have a site and confirm someones IP no matter what email they have. This deal with having a valid tracable email is bs. I have hotmail and you can still trace it.

This Ed Avila emailed me lastnight and as of now I didn't get another response from him nor will I hold my breath while waiting on one.
So my finding that this site is up to something. On the VB site I have I can check IP addresses since I'm the Admin.

I bet if I look up this Ed guy I'll find a ton of stuff on him. I say this Ed is banned.

[edit on 5/4/2007 by Leyla]

Edn

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I have to say this Mr. Ed Avila is an idiot. His argument for requireing a 'valid' email (whatever that is) is flawd, he mentiones this as his case for requiring this rule.

It has to do wit wanting to
have a responsible ISP to whom we can complain if a member causes problems
in the site.

However I myself as well as millions of others use 'valid' emails that have no connection what so ever with our ISP. Take me for example, my private email address is not my ISP email but my own email run off my own email server using my own domain, if I used this email on his site it would come up as a completely valid email.

Now there are sites who ligitemity do not allow free email accounts, some people have had serious problems in the past with bots using free emails to sign up on there forums etc. but this obviously wasnt a consern to him (and its somthing that can be fairly easily prevented by other means now) or he would have mentioned it in his email to you.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
I have to say this Mr. Ed Avila is an idiot. His argument for requireing a 'valid' email (whatever that is) is flawd, he mentiones this as his case for requiring this rule.

It has to do with wanting to have a responsible ISP to whom we can complain if a member causes problems in the site.

I agree something is not quite right. Even though I did sign up and even got my email back up I never did get a email back from him. I never saw anyone so dire to get a valid email from their applicants. I failed to mention this Ed guy is (the Dad) from Cuba. Him and his two sons run the site.

new topics

top topics

join