It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO’s, still not taken seriously

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Recently I’ve made a few attempts to discuss the subject of UFO’s with one family member and another, a close friend. The reaction was about the same, little or no interest. I find this very frustrating. It seems people are more interested in what Brad and Angelina did on their vacation than opening their minds to the possibility of other life forms visiting our planet. Is it that most people just aren’t ready?

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Maybe they ARE ready. But not allowed to BE ready ?

[edit on 29-4-2007 by h3akalee]

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee

[edit on 29-4-2007 by h3akalee]
cudos, h3akalee, good post. We totally aren't allowed to be ready. To bad we can't get a few more poeople that are higher up on the totem pole to disclose, or atlease give us some good pics or something.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
It would seem more likely that people do not have an interest in the subject because it is (at this moment and possibly forever) purley a facet of pop culture and science fiction.

The average person would rather discuss tangible subjects, events and personalities.

Does this make them 'not ready'? No.

Who on earth is truly ready for alien contact -in whichever form it may present itself? Not you, not the users on ATS, not the 'average' person and certainly not myself.

The 'average' person and those who find an interest in the theoretical alien contact all find themselves in the same state of readiness. Why should they bother themselves with something that, in all likeliness, will never affect them?

I say you let it go if they are not interested; it is the norm to not hold an active interest in the subject. People who do not wish discussion on the subject should not be pestered with it.

After all: you always have ATS.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loutty
To bad we can't get a few more poeople that are higher up on the totem pole to disclose, or atlease give us some good pics or something.

How would a few good pictures allow you to be any more ready then you are now?

Hell, 'disclosure' (if there is anything to be disclosed) may not hold any useful information either. If there is nothing substantial known then there is really nothing to disclose.

Honestly: How would simply knowing that extraterrestrial life exists allow you to ready yourself for alien contact? (I am assuming that you mean contact when you discuss being 'ready')

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Can you blame them for not being ready for what they dont even want to consider a realiy? They have recieved their fear indoctrination from generations of secrecy, from our governments, debunkers and then the media disinfo. The worst part is Hollywoods role and the direction it took so long ago.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Im pretty sure that there are many out there that dont understand much about UFOs. I know this guy and he blocks out anything about ufos and tryes his hardest to shoot down any evidence I give him. When I show him things he cant explain he starts making jokes about them and ignores anything I say.
The public arnt ready for disclosure yet, look at the media. They make jokes about ufos and alians. Churches make them seem like deamons and all those who believe there are ufos seem like idiots.

Its going to take something big to make people believe in alians and/or ufos.

-fm

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Well i was discussing the issue of UFO's the other day in work. It is less of a taboo subject now than it was 20 years ago. Something peopel at work agreed with as well. They realise i am not a wacko and i started off the conversation by emphaising yes there is alot of rubbish and false information out there and people making a fast buck, but take away all of that and you do have an interesting issue to discuss. I start off with Roswell and discuss some of the more credible cases/sightings. I also point out that science is making a hell of a lot of progress ie discovery of Earth 2, possible water on Mars etc. That way i get their attention and respect.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
What does "readiness" entail? If it means believing in something without good evidence, then most people are never going to be "ready".

IF real, irrefutable evidence were to come to light, then more people would believe. It's not going to be the other way round.

The fact is that the vast majority of the UFO "evidence" presented turns out to be fake or has a benign explaination. "orbs" turn out to be dust particles. UFOs turn out to be seagulls, balloons etc.

Maybe if the UFO community were a little more descerning, any REAL evidence would be taken more seriously. They need to start taking a more scientific approach, rather trying to fit any piece of unexplained footage or evidence into their own pre-concieved agenda. That way of thinking is never going to convince anyone.

[edit on 29-4-2007 by nowthenlookhere]

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
before we dont know where ufos come from, we dont know where disclosure would lead us to. but its true that people deny and laugh about this topic.
hopefully they will show up soon.
the question is, if they show up, what will happen?
will they be attacked by the military or will they attack or will it seem as they attack (project blue beam, etc.)?

is it true, that there is a very high ufo-activity around the world atm?
saw them yesterday.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee

Not that I disagree, but can you elaborate?

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by nowthenlookhere
Maybe if the UFO community were a little more descerning, any REAL evidence would be taken more seriously. They need to start taking a more scientific approach, rather trying to fit any piece of unexplained footage or evidence into their own pre-concieved agenda.

Got to agree with this. I am starting to doubt ET visitation to earth more since reading ATS forums than before. Some believers are hurting their own cause.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
most people are asleep.
most people are actually poorly trained in logic and science.
therefore most people don't really think about much except what the media feeds them.
add to that most people are lazy and could not be bothered to do the physical work let alone the mental work to come to a enlightenment

[edit on 29-4-2007 by junglelord]

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I purposely talk about this kind of stuff a lot with people to see their reaction and what their opinions are and I mostly get looked at like I am an alien! LOL its just not taken seriously by the mainstream and thats got to change but for some reason in this modern day and age its still the subject of ridicule?

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Nope and they never will be taken seriously until we have hard scientific evidence that they do indeed exists. Until then prepare yourself for scrutiny for your beliefs on the topic.
I myself no longer bring up the topic unless I am around people who share a similiar intrest in the subject. It is very sad how the scientific community treats the subject just because it possable defies the current theories of physics.

[edit on 29-4-2007 by Starwatcher]

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Einstein said the universe and stupidity were infinite.
He said he was sure about the second one.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Can you blame them for not being ready for what they dont even want to consider a realiy? They have recieved their fear indoctrination from generations of secrecy, from our governments, debunkers and then the media disinfo. The worst part is Hollywoods role and the direction it took so long ago.

It could also be that they are not ready because of a lack of tangible evidence, credible personalities and the eagerness of the UFOlogy community to label itself as enlightened and somehow above those who do not fully commit their belief in a 'pro-ufo' ideology.

Case in point:

Originally posted by junglelord
most people are asleep.
most people are actually poorly trained in logic and science.
therefore most people don't really think about much except what the media feeds them.
add to that most people are lazy and could not be bothered to do the physical work let alone the mental work to come to a enlightenment

Why should the 'average' person attempt to enter a community which is hostile towards doubt and labels those who question as 'disinfo agents'. Hell, I am sure many just 'stopping by' ATS a couple of months ago with a curiosity about the topic were scared away by the many threads proclaiming all skeptics to be agents of disinfo; that skeptics were, in many more words, bad people.

The above quote is filled with just as much assumption and ignorant raving as those which is wishes to discuss. It assumes that the majority of people do not believe in UFOs and/or aliens because they are illogical, because they are lazy, because they do not know science and because they are 'asleep'.

It assumes a posistion of logical and intellectual supremacy over those who can not fully commit themselves to something which offers little to no tangible proof. It is no wonder that the 'average' person wishes to avoid the topic, the community and the individuals who consider themselves 'enlightened'.

P.S.- Before I get jumped on: I am not attacking the entire UFO community as I am aware that there are some inquisitive, logical and sound minded individuals within it. I am simply 'attacking' those which seem to be the unfortunate majorty--if not the most vocal.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwatcher
It is very sad how the scientific community treats the subject just because it possible defies the current theories of physics.

Hmm, I do not think that the current scientific community 'ignores' the topic for that reason (defying physics).

One only needs to look towards the field of quantum physics/mechanics and its constituants to find a scientific study of something that is activley questioning and shaking their idea of physics.

It would seem that the scientific community, as a whole, 'ignores' the subject because at this current time they have already explored the available evidence. Perhaps the scientific case for UFOs has ran out of fuel in the last couple of years and can only kick up again once new, tangible and credible, evidence presents itself.

Or maybe all scientists are evil men who hate aliens.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I know what you mean, Its come to the point where outside of ATS and similar forums I don't tell people my opinion on UFOs. Most people just ride it off as BS and hoaxes.

You tell people you believe in aliens they think your insane even in today's world. They think you need to "grow up". It ticks me off even more when the people who tell me I'm crazy for believing in aliens have religion...really its just hypocritical.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I think the "edge" or tenor of the posts here pretty much says it all for a lot of people. I have been on ATS for a number of years and have watched the continuing debate. Often, folks who are skeptical (I was once a founding member of the Fair Skeptics, a group that ultimately could not stand up under it's own ego driven, shallow, diffident leadership) are simply looking for more intelligent answers.

I have watched the folks here, like myself, be called "sheeple" and worse, simply because many of us do not choose to accept the current proposal of aliens as self evident and wholely unnecessary to investigate any further.

The truly interesting thing about it all is that, with all the so-called advances we have made scientifically, culturally, and dare I say it, technically, we are still no closer to any solutions than we were when Kenneth Arnold had his sighting that launched the current, modern era of UFOlogy. For those of you who are too young to remember, that would be about 60 years as of this year. As a matter of fact, we are probably further away than ever.

It is no longer a matter of fashioning a suit out of foil, and bleaching ones hair, or transmitting arcane, yet mundane wisdom from the Uberaliens from the planet Munimula. It requires more than hanging a pie plate by thin wire and shooting grainy photos of it as the wind moves it around. All of these techniques were part of the early and some later parts of the investigative and public fleecing that has taken place.

Look at the current crop of websites and accolytes whom are blessed to be receiving channeled information from the aliens. It may be true, but most people will not buy into something that is so nebulous in any way or fashion.

Look at the photos and videos of more recent days. The quality may be better (not simply grainy black and white photos), but we still find that there are people out there who are using Photo Shop (leading to the euphemism PhotoChop) to create fake photos of varying degrees of quality. Then, there is the, aforementioned, attitude of supposed superiority and derision for folks like myself.

People, for the most part, have enough on their plates with all the economic issues facing them (rising costs of gas, food, housing, and such ... People falling into foreclosure in scary rates. Problems we are facing as a culture, much less as a naton. Personal and National survival. Obtaining useful, and quasi-lucrative employment in a shrinking market of lucrative jobs. Our children with their ADD, ADHD, and AD-so on, And so on ... No ... The UFO community is going to have to do a lot of mending, and self-policing, if it ever wants to gain any real credibility. Otherwise, it will be a minority voice crying in the darkness. And just because I don't follow any particular party line ... I take great exception to being called a "Sheeple" simply because I don't think that the UFO community has all the pat answers that I should immediately swallow, become one with and start promoting to anyone who will listen.

No, you listen for just a moment. I know there are things flying around our planet that we don't have any control over... Natural? Man made?
Alien? Demon? Atlanteans? Dunno ... But I do know that totally aside from each and every personal belief system that is represented on ATS, there is an equal amount of "unprovability" for each and every one.

Thanks for posting the original posting and giving one old skeptic an opportunity to vent his frustrations with the whole conglomeration.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join