It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Schoolgirl Goes to Court Over Chastity Ring

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

telegraph.co.uk

A teenage girl banned from wearing a Christian chastity ring at school is taking her case to the High Court.

Lydia Playfoot wanted to wear a silver ring that showed her commitment to remain a virgin until marriage. But her school refused permission on health and safety grounds and because the ring infringed its jewellery policy.

The dispute echoes last year's row over whether a British Airways employee could wear a cross and that of Shabina Begum, a Muslim excluded from her school in Luton for wearing a jilbab in defiance of school rules. She took the school to the High Court but lost her case.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/28/2007 by shots]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What is with this overt nanny state in the UK? No Jewelry in schools! I have never heard of anything so ridiculous in my whole life.

I also wonder if the no jewelry rule also applies to married teachers. Do they have to take their rings off? I doubt it. Double set of standards one for adults and one for kids sounds they are preparing the kids for future control by the government.

(visit the link for the full news article)

telegraph.co.uk

[edit on 4/28/2007 by shots]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Welcome to the police state.

"Now you run along and be a good citizen and do what we tell you to do."

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

telegraph.co.uk

A teenage girl banned from wearing a Christian chastity ring at school is taking her case to the High Court...

..The dispute echoes last year's row over whether a British Airways employee could wear a cross and that of Shabina Begum, a Muslim excluded from her school in Luton for wearing a jilbab in defiance of school rules. She took the school to the High Court but lost her case.

These truly are the last days.

The enemies of Christus Verus Luciferus, hate Chastity:

The United States and the Seventh Subrace

...The present chaos is awful; nonetheless, the tyrants, while seated on their blasphemous thrones, uselessly intend to establish a “New Order” based upon blood and drugs.

Paris, as a Great Harlot, continues wallowing in its filthy bed of pleasures.

London has become a new Sodom; it even intends to establish the legal bond of matrimony between homosexuals.

The United States of America has fallen into a collective madness, because they have not only destroyed other countries, but moreover, they are also destroying their own. China, the venerable China of Confucius and Lao-Tse, has fallen as a prostitute in the arms of Marxism-Leninism. China has imported a corrupted doctrine from the Western world; nonetheless, they have declared themselves “enemies of the West.”

The Third World War is inevitable because the ones who planned and performed the First and Second World Wars are already working very actively in order to make the Third World War a reality. The Third World War will be millions of times more horrible than the two former World Wars.

Any sense of pity has disappeared. Today it is considered a luxury to have a heart of stone, a flint stone heart.

Many schools and colleges teach their pupils that charity is weakness and that they must never give alms. This is how the students become perverse and cruel while sitting at their desks in school

...Indeed, the Aryan Root Race is a rotten fruit, a fruit that will fall from the Tree of Life by the weight of its own rottenness...

So: The atheists, cynical-skeptics, materialistic-intellectuals, the enemies of Allah, the enemies of Gomer Oz Dabar, the enemies of Christ, etc. won't be around for much longer.

And they have no one to blame but themselves.

Fornicators and the enemies of sex are abundant in the Infernal Worlds.

...Frightfully, this terrestrial humanity has already failed and will become more and more perverse through time.

To live normally upon the Earth will be something more than impossible within a short period of time.

Malignity will be so great that within a short period of time, human beings will, in fact, have two thoughts in their minds: First, to kill; second, to be killed.

Very shortly, in the direction that we are going, death, assassination, vice and perversity, multiplied to its maximum, will reign in every house.

The great catastrophe that is expected has converted itself into a non-delayable necessity.

Only the great catastrophe can save us from the most horrifying terrors that the ego will let loose over the face of the Earth.

We presently have no more hope, except for the universal blazing Fire.

- Samael Aun Weor

[edit on 28-4-2007 by Tamahu]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
ladies calm down - this is not nanny culture or police state this is UK schooling and uniform code. This has nothing to do with the suppression of christianity and religion it has to do with rules. The same rules I had to abide by at school (and of course try and break), that my mother did and probably my grandmother.

This is just some silly little girl who thinks she is so special the rest of the world should treat her as such, therefore she goes to court instead of accepting the rules that other children have to live by. I got detention and warnings and letters to parents for breaking uniform rules - make-up, earrings and other jewellry, white shoes, dyed hair - thats the brilliance of such rules it teaches you to buck quite early. This is an integral part of the UK education system and it serves a purpose. The fact that this little girl takes her grievances to court is a reflection of something far sadder and worrying than progression to the police state. What a waste of time and money.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout
this is not nanny culture or police state this is UK schooling and uniform code. This has nothing to do with the suppression of christianity and religion it has to do with rules. The same rules I had to abide by at school (and of course try and break), that my mother did and probably my grandmother.

Rules/Laws???

Klipoth(Hell) 1: Limbo

...When you go to New York you feel the psychological weight of that city in your head. All the activities of that city are placing it in Klipoth, under 96 or more laws that are already materializing in the physical world.

New York, instead of being controlled by 48 laws, is controlled by 96 and more laws. Many cities have parts controlled by more laws. It is the same everywhere. It is rare to find a town or city that is controlled by 48 laws, the normal laws that should control the physical world.

Because of our egotistical activities we are placing this physical world out of the normal laws. This is why visitors from other planets are amazed when they see that this planet is not physically controlled by 48 laws. To survive in a bad city is very difficult because you have to accomplish it under many laws.

This physical Earth doesn't reflect superior dimensions any more as in the past, but reflects inferior dimensions.

Laws control life and make life more mechanical.

If we lived in the world of 48 laws, we wouldn't need any ID, or birth certificate, or passport, in order to travel with freedom in this world of God that belongs to everyone. But because of laws we identify with political ideas, which are created from the 96 laws.

The extra laws are from Hell, not from God.

Because of people's identification with egotistical matters, people bring the laws from Limbo etc. into the physical world, and these laws work physically.

Electricity, land, food etc should all be free as it is from Nature.

The Ego belongs to the Infradimensions...

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
That's a good point - if married people can wear wedding rings what about unmarried people wearing a symbol of THEIR status/viewpoint.
I think it's absolutely ridiculous to ban jewelery and to dictate to kids what they can and cannot wear. Having a strict dress code is just asking for kids to rebel by wearing something non-dress code.
What possible reason would anyone have for dictating such a stringent dress code for young adults? One of the primary characteristics of young people is that of self-expression. It's very important to young people.
If you take that away, you're just asking for rebellion, IMHO.

I don't see anything about this young girl's attitude that says she has a sense of entitlement or should be treated special. She just wants to wear the jewelry of her choice and why on earth shouldnt' she be allowed to?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Tamahu

I'd rather live with the rules I have than ones set down by a "higher being".

Having children remove jewelery is stupid BUT unfortunatly it is necessary in todays ultimate legitimate and safety concience world...I mean can you imagine the number of incidents where a ring could catch on something and injure a child?

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The "Laws" related to the ego(Social Security Numbers, State ID's, travel restrictions, usury, etc.) are of suffering.

To follow the Laws of the Universe, of the Being(your Internal Higher Being), is to insure Peace, prosperity, and harmony.

This world is a living hell because people are ignoring their Buddha Nature, that spark of the Cosmic Christ that is within.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Having children remove jewelery is stupid BUT unfortunatly it is necessary in todays ultimate legitimate and safety concience world... I mean can you imagine the number of incidents where a ring could catch on something and injure a child?

The people that make such rules act more childish than the children they would "protect".

Are people really that weak and afraid these days?

I mean come on, as far as physical danger is concerned, it's only a ring!

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu
The "Laws" related to the ego(Social Security Numbers, State ID's, travel restrictions, usury, etc.) are of suffering.

To follow the Laws of the Universe, of the Being(your Internal Higher Being), is to insure Peace, prosperity, and harmony.

This world is a living hell because people are ignoring their Buddha Nature, that spark of the Cosmic Christ that is within.

Any law written by religion IMO is subject to external influence....I would rather have a democracy than a religious dictatorship. If this offends you then sorry but the inquisition taught us something...

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
What possible reason would anyone have for dictating such a stringent dress code for young adults?

It is all about control of the masses forestlady. Schools want to dictate a child's life. Examples are no recess, no tag, no soccer, no running, the list is endless.

Oh and let us not forget the food police who are now telling children what they can and cannot eat in schools. :shk:

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTroutladies calm down - this is not nanny culture or police state this is UK schooling and uniform code. This has nothing to do with the suppression of christianity and religion it has to do with rules. The same rules I had to abide by at school (and of course try and break), that my mother did and probably my grandmother.

...But if the UK adopted the US Constitution (and stick with it, unlike the US Government), then such rules could never be enforced...
Oooops! I forgot that the Constitution was born because of our respective nations' disagreements...How un-politically-correct I've been!

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Any law written by religion IMO is subject to external influence....

Then you may want to look into the practice of Meditation, and learn how to listen to the Voice of the Silence, who is your Being, your Inner God.

Gnosis is not given to anyone by belonging to a group or by believing in an idea. The one who gives Gnosis to you is your own inner Being.

However, to give it to you, he needs a means: His preference is directly, through communication with Him, but with our bad habits we have destroyed that capacity in ourselves. Therefore, in order to help us restore that ability, He works through other methods: spiritual inquietudes, recurring dreams, painful circumstances in life, unusual moments of insight, books, schools, teachers, religions, and more.

When Samael Aun Weor states that Gnosis is the one true way, that way is within your own mind. It is not outside or in any school or religion.

I would rather have a democracy than a religious dictatorship. If this offends you then sorry but the inquisition taught us something...

There's no such thing as Democracy, at least not anymore.

Tibet prospered under the leadership of the Dalai Lamas, with much less suffering than we have here in the West, for many, many years.

There was also Freedom of Religion there, before the materialistic Communists invaded.

The Roman Inquisition was anti-Gnostic.

The "Holy" Inquisitors were not real Christians.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
I think it's absolutely ridiculous to ban jewelery and to dictate to kids what they can and cannot wear. Having a strict dress code is just asking for kids to rebel by wearing something non-dress code.
What possible reason would anyone have for dictating such a stringent dress code for young adults? One of the primary characteristics of young people is that of self-expression. It's very important to young people.
If you take that away, you're just asking for rebellion, IMHO.

I don't see anything about this young girl's attitude that says she has a sense of entitlement or should be treated special. She just wants to wear the jewelry of her choice and why on earth shouldnt' she be allowed to?

Because of the rules - as I was trying to point out, this is a fundamental difference between the UK and the US, we have had for donkey's years - a uniform code for schools. The beauty of it is that it does teach rebellion -rebellion and questioning are good - but seeking recourse through the courts is sad - she could have changed to a school with a less strict uniform policy, she could have organised a petition to the governors. Why did her parents choose a school with such a stringent uniform code and then bleat when it is enforced on their daughter.

www.millais.co.uk...

The school clearly states its uniform policy and if she saw inequity then she should have taken it up with the school. Some schools have much more lax rules, they offered her a compromise and instead she has got a bunch of right wing politicians to back her claim of persecution. If that isn't silly I don't know what is. I oppose any use of trivial nonsense to push a pro-nationalist agenda, especially when they abuse the purposes of the European Court.

I am sure it must seem strange to you guys but it is part of our school culture. It may be outdated, some schools in the UK are more relaxed about uniform. Rules exist to be broken, but it takes ingenuity to get away with it - like my mum, at her school pupils had to wear a cap at all times, with her beehive it wouldn't go on obviously, rather than lose the hair, she folded the cap up and pinned it to the front of her hair. She got away with it, in no small part due to the admiration for her resourcefulness. If anything uniform encourages a more creative and informed expression of individuality - it challenges.

But viva la difference and each to their own. It is a very British thing, we either like it or loath it. I enjoyed breaking my uniform codes and challenging the authority of the teachers - my friends and I got the rule of make-up changed by presenting our case to the Deputy Head (WOOHOO). As such my kids will go to a uniformed school and hopefully do just the same. Its about preference and choice, its not about running to the courts just because you don't get your own way and it certainly isn't about the persecution of the WASP - Lord Tebbit and Ann Widdecombe Purlease!!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I do agree with something you just said though...She should have taken up her contention with the school administrators before going to the courts. Then if her arguments had sufficient merit & she was still denied, then take it to court.
It's a matter of using the proper peaceful steps & "chain of authority." That's how the "courts of appeal" stucture is organized.

[edit on 28-4-2007 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
...But if the UK adopted the US Constitution (and stick with it, unlike the US Government), then such rules could never be enforced...
Oooops! I forgot that the Constitution was born because of our respective nations' disagreements...How un-politically-correct I've been!

Not ever likely to happen and not really what is required. We are not a republic as the US is we are a constitutional monarchy. We're not even a democracy in the real sense. The monarchy has no real power of course, purely for display purposes only, which is why it has survived civil uprisings - a compromise if you will. As long as it is not taking tax payers money we are happy for it to remain (in the most part, I'm fairly ambivalent about our monarchy, but others are pro- and against).

As you point out, any constitution is open to manipulation and the various amendments to the US's bear testament to this. We've been at it a bit longer, we have an entirley different sense of national and international identity to the US. I'm not saying we're better, just very different. They have uniform codes in many of the former British colonial countries such as Australia and India. That the US do not is testament to US independence and the rebellious origins of pioneerism. We may look oddly at your lack of uniform culture, just as you look agast at ours. What is good for you, may not be so for us and vice versa.

It is more the cries of police state that I was most amused by LOL. There are far greater causes to be fought than whether a girl gets to wear her ring, the christianity is irrelevant - thats just agenda pushing (the political backers are proof enough of this). I could go into greater detail but it would only bore - it is a cultural difference, simple as that.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

ladies calm down

BTW, who you calling "lady"?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu

ladies calm down

BTW, who you calling "lady"?

Sorry me bad - I was referring to the girlish hysteria with regard to the police state. Knickers in a twist, storm in a teacup and all that. No offence intended, apologies if caused.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
As KilgoreTrout pointed out, school uniforms have been around pretty much since the beginnings of public education in the UK. Parents, grandparents and great-grandparents grew up with them, and most parents think it's a fair way to keep down bullying because so-and-so hasn't got the latest trainers or the dress that's 'in fashion' at the moment. In addition, they instil a sense of community in schools (since many schools have pupils with a huge array of social backgrounds) and perhaps pride because people like to look smart (and school uniforms tend to be on the formal side).

Criticise it if you must, since I agree it isn't a perfect system at all (nor is the lax 'no uniform' approach). The shrieks of 'police state' are making a mountain out of a mole hill I feel, and it's just part of British culture. It's the way we do things in this country - just because you don't do it doesn't make it 'wrong', surely. All that suggests is that you're ignorant of other peoples and disrespectful.

Not quite sure where all the stuff you posted comes into this, Tamahu - perhaps you'd care to explain it yourself? (No huge quotes from that website, please
)

[edit on 28/4/07 by Ste2652]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join