It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Low For Fox News, Parody Story Reported as Fact

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

New Low For Fox News, Parody Story Reported as Fact

thinkprogress.org

On Tuesday, Fox & Friends reported these parody quotes and details as actual news. Poking fun at the students, hosts asked whether ham was “a hate crime…or lunch?” and showed screen shots of ham sandwiches, starving Somalians, belching, animal noises, and mock “reenactments” of the incident. Ironically, the hosts assured viewers several times, “We’re not making this up!”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.associatedcontent.com
Transcript of Roger Ailes

www.crooksandliars.com

thinkprogress.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Fox news distorting their own "facts" this time ...
Fox News = Faux News
The truth about Fox News
Fox News Viciously attacking 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

(edit, attempted to fix links)

[edit on 4/27/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
In a new low even for Fox News, they have begun airing parody stories as if they were a real event. Fox News (aka Faux News), widely known for it's unapologetic misquoting, fabrication of facts, and displaying of wrong information to accompany news stories, is now adding "reporting fake news like real news" to the list. After an Onionesque parody paper called "Associated Content" ran this fake news story about the response to a a ham-sandwich prank against some Muslim students, Fox took up the banner and broadcast it as actual news, despite a bold-font-all-caps warning in the first line of the article that "THIS IS NOT AN ACTUAL NEWS STORY. IT IS A PARODY".

The only thing that makes me sicker than Faux News is that some people watch and believe it. I'm honestly not sure how they manage to get away with it, as by now you'd think there were so many libel suits against them they'd go out of business. But if a tabloid rag like the National Enquiror can stay in business, so can its television equivolent. I wonder how long before Fox starts airing segments on Bat Boy?

Previous examples of Fox's lack of any journalistic credibility, integrity, or honesty, include smearing Senator Obama(D) as a Muslim extremist, and constantly misquoting him, such as when they snipped off the first few lines of "I think that nobody wants to play chicken with our troops on the ground." to read as "(picture of Obama)...wants to play chicken with our troops" (read about that here ). Fox News CEO Roger Ailes even called Obama Osama and later the same mistake was made in news broadcasts.

This distasteful and repeatedly unethical behaviour from Fox News is a blight upon the news, undermines the ability of the people to govern a democracy, and as far as I can tell, is actually in violation of the FCC's code of conduct for programs that refer to themselves as "News". How they are allowed to refer to themselves as such is beyond me.

thinkprogress.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

(edit: fixing links again)

[edit on 4/27/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well ya know right wing conservatism as represented by the likes of faux news is a social and political dead end and "stories" like this prove it. They have lost all integrity both as a media force and as a political force. This administration is unraveling and as it tries to fight fight the long overdue congressional oversight that the Republican party pawned away, we are going to see its media wing become a satire of itself. It never really had any validity, just a loud and obnoxious voice that systematically drowned out other voices. Well those days are over. mark my word they will try and wave the 9/11 flag once more in 08. probably with Rudy Guilliani and it is going to blow up in their faces.

join