It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prince Harry and Iraq

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Royals have served in war times before as well.

However, If I was the enemy and I knew there was a prince coming, I would do everything I could and put a lot of resources to take him out.

So, If I whom has never served in the military and don’t believe in killing anyone can think like this. That says a lot about what the enemy is thinking. He has a very high price on his head. I hope and pray he makes it out alive, well, and ok.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Even though I think he should go....

There is a difference between now and other Royals who have fought before.

Firstly, the enemy will not respect the Rules of War that have governed previous conflicts. They would most likely cut his head off on camera if they got hold of him.

Secondly, this is an unpopular War. The backlas that the Government could face if Harry were killed would be huge. Whatever anyone thinks about the Royal Family, I don't know anyone who bad mouths the Princes. They both have alot of respect in the UK, despite having an idiot of a Father.

Having said that, imagine the world of hurt that would come through the ME if those insurgents did capture and kill Harry! It could massively boost support for this "War on Terror" they bang on about.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
The problem is that Harry is different.

He's different because we, with the assistance of the media, make him different. We treat him as a celebrity, he is accorded special privileges and, most importantly of all, if he were to killed or captured on duty the publicity surrounding that event would be entirely disproportionate to its military or constitutional significance, or to that given to any other serving soldier.

Whatever may be said about his deployment being routine it is clearly anything but that. He will certainly get additional protection in comparison to ordinary mortals and already the differences are being felt as it now appears that his personal deployment is to be delayed whilst the rest of his unit go out early to make sure they are fully up to speed before the important one arrives.

The dilemma is that this is absolutely the right operational decision and yet, to follow this path means that someone who is supposed to be a normal serving officer will get what he has got all of his life, very special treatment. I would not like to be the army support officer that has to visit the family of a member of the Blues and Royals who is killed on duty whilst waiting for Harry to arrive, that would be a very awkward conversation indeed.

And let's not forget that the best is yet to come. Prince William, is training for a very similar role to Harry's, so what will happen when it's his turn to go, what kind of special treatment will he get or will everyone finally see the light and decide that this makes no sense whatever?

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test

And let's not forget that the best is yet to come. Prince William, is training for a very similar role to Harry's, so what will happen when it's his turn to go, what kind of special treatment will he get or will everyone finally see the light and decide that this makes no sense whatever?

William won't ever see combat and he knows it. As 3rd in line to the throne, he has other duties within the military. He has to effectively be trained across all three branches and will spend time with the Navy and RAF, as well as his Army unit.

Harry is different to William because he is highly unlikely to ever be King.

I respect Harry for really pushing for his deployment and asking not to treated differently. I suspect the Army brass feel the same, but it's really the spineless politicians and civil servants that surround the Royal Family and infest the MoD that are causing the problem.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
You're absolutely right stu, William will never see combat because, whatever his training, his constitutional position will be regarded as being far too sensitive. So just why are we training him to do something he will never be allowed to do?

Let's be clear as 2nd in line to the throne, (or third, fourth or fifth for that matter), neither William or Harry have any duties in the military unless they choose to undertake them and if there is no chance of ever fulfilling those duties in the same way as any normal officer then just what exactly is William doing by playing such games? Does he honestly think it will enhance his credibility when he is Colonel in Chief of half a dozen regiments because he actually attended Sandhurst even though he will never have fired a round in anger? Would both he and the country not be better served if he were to spend a few years working for Oxfam for instance?

This, for once, is nothing to do with "spineless politicians and civil servants" this is all about a couple of spoilt brats who want special treatment when it suits them and and to be one of the lads when it doesn't.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join