It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Americans tell me why your country must oppress people with such malice

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Hello, I extend much respect to all who read my post, I am a French student spending in this nation my first year at University of Arizona and I must convey to you my position. I mean not to vex the demographic of American citizens who were born in USA with my statements, but realize the utter sincerity with which i convey my discontent and provide if you may a response to my question.

This USA is a country of bigotry and oppression, and why do you continue to perpetuate such negative ideals on the world? You police the Earth as if you are sanctioned by divine providence to denote what constitutes morality. The line between Moral and Immoral is arbitrary and subjective, and without the context of a religious authority (ex. The Judeo-Christian Bible) no actions can be defined as immoral or moral. Every person should be allowed to live thier life as they see fit without Big Brother looking over their shoulder and judging thier actions with Orwellian forbiddance.

Yet you are hypocrites even in this regard. You impose upon the world a criterion by which you yourselves are exempt from following. Muslims, angered by years of merciless belittlement, destroy two towers which exemplify America's overindulgence in materialism (which is epitomized in modern times by the mind blowing obesity rate) and suddenly you are justified to murder and rape as you see fit?

I admonish those of you who would denounce my bold question to answer with an equal degree of respect to which I have treated you, living in your country and attending University in peace. Additionally do not misconstrue my statements as being judgmental, as It is my birthright as a man of France to hold to the philosophy that people should live life in any manner they choose so long as they do not impede others rights to do the same. If you wish to over-indulge that is your business, but do not force you Orwellian view of the future on others.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Your problem is with our government.

Please Americans tell me why your country must oppress people with such malice

I don't mean to offend anyone, but a certain major neighboring country of yours might be able to tell you from historical experience.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Well nice to meet you too. You have a right to your opinion- I know our country isn't perfect. But what country is? I'm gonna go ahead and say it- your new here and thats ok but before you go judging people why don't you go and get to know them first.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
What makes you think that people in the U.S. are somehow responsible for the failures of other governments? The U.S. may have influences for its' own interests and benefits, but name one country that does not incorporate this. Name one government that does not look after itself first, in other words.

Secondly you may focus all your concerns on the U.S., but you seem to willingly ignore the oppression that foreign governments use on their own people. And I know the liberal media will try to tie the two together, despite the lacking evidence. Why don't you take a good look at what you're comparing the U.S. to before you start a rant?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
What makes you think that people in the U.S. are somehow responsible for the failures of other governments? The U.S. may have influences for its' own interests and benefits, but name one country that does not incorporate this. Name one government that does not look after itself first, in other words.

I reply through the immortal lips of Eric Blair
All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.
- George Orwell

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Why would you travel thousands of miles to live away from your homeland to receive an education in such a bigoted and oppressive country? I guess the lifestyle, education, and the girls at the University of Arizona and in the United States are so attractive that you're willing to risk becoming a victim of bigotry and oppression, or willing to risk becoming bigoted and oppressive yourself just by association. I would really like to know why you would come to a country you find so distasteful? I guess it's your right to feel the way you do, and also express your feelings.

Me? I wouldn't choose to receive an education in a country whose ideologies I despise.

France, that bastion of tolerance and equality, has universities, does it not?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
The first post asked why Americans (I think you may be referring to our government) oppressed people. If you're referring to other people around the world I don't really see it the same way. The President of the US is not the President of other countries. Other countries set up and enforce their own laws. The US and most other countries negotiate or use other means to try to achieve what they believe is in their national interest. The US is certainly not the only country doing that. If you're only talking about one little part of the world called Iraq and saying that it equal to Americans oppressing people around the world, I would disagree.

Now if you're talking about oppression here in the US, I would agree there is some oppression. I think it's less oppression than the Taliban is doing to woman in some parts of the world. Jumping back to the US, I do believe a few people here believe their morals are better than others and feel it's ok to pass laws to restrict everyone. I don't agree with that either.

Unfortunately, in certain matters either the American public stays quiet or goes along with those saying we need to restrict this or that for safety or for our own good. There aren't enough Ben Franklins around today saying we are not gaining safety, we are getting oppressed by those who want to control every aspect of our lives.

We have been getting more and more oppressed and many Americans seem to be just going along with it accepting the line that it's for our own good.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
well...like it was said above, it isn't our people, it is our government. Just like in france, we are ruled by the wealthy and influential. most of us couldn't give a damn about frances morality, or anyone else's.

but, on the same side of the coin, don't think it is only in america that you see oppression. France has its own problems. Your slums are full of cast off muslims. we are not so different....except i won't eat faux gras

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Musky
Why would you travel thousands of miles to live away from your homeland to receive an education in such a bigoted and oppressive country? I guess the lifestyle, education, and the girls at the University of Arizona and in the United States are so attractive that you're willing to risk becoming a victim of bigotry and oppression, or willing to risk becoming bigoted and oppressive yourself just by association. I would really like to know why you would come to a country you find so distasteful? I guess it's your right to feel the way you do, and also express your feelings.

Me? I wouldn't choose to receive an education in a country whose ideologies I despise.

France, that bastion of tolerance and equality, has universities, does it not?

I am here for the undergrad programs offered by said univirsity, and to stimulate my erotic imagination at night (and during dreams if I am lucky enough)due to the presence of attractive females as you mentioned. My lifestyle is my business and it is not to be judged. I realize my statement may offend the ignorant but if such a reaction is invoked it is only lends further credence towards affirmation of my discontent.

[edit on 26-4-2007 by TheTemplarConnection]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
well...like it was said above, it isn't our people, it is our government. Just like in france, we are ruled by the wealthy and influential. most of us couldn't give a damn about frances morality, or anyone else's.

but, on the same side of the coin, don't think it is only in america that you see oppression. France has its own problems. Your slums are full of cast off muslims. we are not so different....except i won't eat faux gras

But in France did we steal our land from indigenous peoples? No. In France, do we shoot people who seek to enter our country seeking a better life? In France do we stuff our children's mouths with the vomitous mass of un-edible diet you call "BigMacs" and then wonder why they develop diabetes?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I could care less about your lifestyle. I just doubt the conviction of the opinions you have expressed about this country. According to you, the evil US is forcing it's will upon the world, but "what the hell, I can get an excellent education there, and the chicks are hot."

Seems hypocritical to me. Lessens your credibility, in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Power is like hot air. It will expand until it is confined by an outside force or until it cools off. That applies to every country in the world, every people in the world and every person in the world. There are no exceptions. The wisdom of age and the wisdom of the ages.

Furthermore, I sincerely doubt if you are really French. I've been to France. Anyone who leaves France to look for pretty girls elsewhere is out of his mind. French girls rock.

Here is a link to Melissa Theuriau.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Not that America doesn't have it's problems but I have been to France, you are no angels over they when it comes to social issues such as diversity and race relations. Don't get me wrong, I love France and all it's regions, just don't solely claim the moral high ground. Every country on Earth needs help though the Scandinavian countries do a darn good job IMO.

You have a fairly homogeneous population whereas America's is truly a multicultural, fairly tolerant society. I have seen how immigrants in France have been treated, they are basically considered second rung citizens by a good number of native born French people. If your society was anywhere as diverse as America's I tend to think you would not handle it nearly as well as we attempt and do here. I am glad you have come over here to see things first hand, please visit many areas of the U.S. before you reach your conclusions.

If we are such a country of "bigotry and oppression" why do people still continue to immigate here in waves and attend our univerisites?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Your position is common and unoriginal. You hide in the shadows of your american desires, and just as secretively denounce the platform in which you extort. The truth is we are all responsible for our individual actions, that is all you should worry yourself with. I live in LA and have a few French friends. I entertain their pretentious dispositions that they seemingly try to disguise, because I am a fan of people, in general.

Everyone has their own different design. You ridicule america, then compare to france. There is hardly a comparison my friend, unless you see apples and oranges as equals. America is a place that flirts with peoples desires, their dreams, and their self-esteem. People come to America in search for something better. If they work hard enough they can achieve anything in america.

You must always remember... the waves will always be bigger where the currents move faster. Why judge the callateral damage to other peoples selfish desires and then generalize the blame to everyone?

You are not shedding new light, nor are you exposing your intelligence by belittling another group. You are actually being counter-productive to your developing reputation on a site that prides itself on respect and the understanding of all perspective before forming positons.

Good luck in the future.

AAC

[edit on 26-4-2007 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The answer is because the vast majority of Americans are comfortable with their empty lives, or are satisfied by so little, that they show no interest in what's going on in the world as long as it does not have a direct, immediate effect on their own personal lives.

It is apathy and ignorance that has allowed, and will continue to allow, such a government to continue to function with impunity, and the rest of the world will be the victim.

I believe that God has created a balance however, and while the scale has been tipping in one direction for a while, it's about to swing back.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Personally I moved to america from the UK because I felt that one can only experience the world by living in it. I reject the notion that by simply visiting a country you can know everything about it, about whether it's a good place or a bad one.

Do I love this country? Not really. There are many flaws here, but there are also many good things. People often ask me "which country is better?"
It's a tough question to answer because there are so many variables. However, I think the one thing that the world dislikes america for is its imperialism. If america minded it's own business, a lot more people would be fans.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTemplarConnection
In France do we stuff our children's mouths with the vomitous mass of un-edible diet you call "BigMacs"

Why yes, some people in France do.

There are these filthy fast food chains in France as well...

But of course not everyone does and that goes for USA as well.

You can't go around and associate a country with every individuals who just happens to be born there. It's not realistic and it's a huge stereotype.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit

Furthermore, I sincerely doubt if you are really French. I've been to France. Anyone who leaves France to look for pretty girls elsewhere is out of his mind. French girls rock.

Here is a link to Melissa Theuriau.

www.youtube.com...

UofA has a large population of latin american women who are in my oppinion the most beautiful girls in all the globe. Add with that the cultural diversity you see on campus and it makes for many a night of fantasizing in the dorm.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I agree with the creator of this post. word up!
and I am an American myself. I see what you mean about the U.S.A.
I always wanted to hear what someone thought of our country..I personally haven't been to France.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation

Everyone has their own different design. You ridicule america, then compare to france. There is hardly a comparison my friend, unless you see apples and oranges as equals. America is a place that flirts with peoples desires, their dreams, and their self-esteem. People come to America in search for something better. If they work hard enough they can achieve anything in america.

AAC

[edit on 26-4-2007 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

No matter where one finds himself, with commitment and imagination anyone can achieve thier dreams. But my comparison of America to France is incongruent to the comparison of apples and oranges. This is because we are each living life for ourselves and know one else. Each individual should be free to act as they see fit. My problem with America stems from it's habbit of meddling in other countries affairs and impeding thier right to live thier lives as they see fit. It is unavoidable that every country does this to some degree, but not to the copious extent America does.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join