It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One. Explicit video. What are we sacrificing for?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Metallica got it over 20 years ago. Listen to the video. "For democracy a man will give his only begotten son." Is this what this War on Terror is about? Democracy? Is this the outcome for those that don't expire quickly?

This is a disturbing video:

Is this what we are giving up for this administration? Is this for democracy?

[edit on 26-4-2007 by intrepid]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The War on Terror should be about spreading democracy and defeating Islamic extremists. However so far due to incompetent and corrupt political leaders all we have seen is the failure to win the war in Afghanistan and the creation of the Iraq mess. The War on Terror is suffering because corporate interests are being put before preserving democracy and a modern western society's.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
What are we sacrificing for? Sometimes I wonder. If our political leadership were more competent, we'd know. As it stands, the sacrifice of our brothers, sisters, daughter, sons, mothers and fathers, as well as freinds seems pointless.

My own brother is headed back to Iraq for his second tour in July, possibly sooner. Needless to say, I'm scared to death, not just for him, which is true enough, but for me, my sisters, and my father. I can't even begin to imagine life without him in it.

I know what the sacrifice is supposed to be for. That I would support. Freedom to choose their own path, whatever that choice may be. Afghani's and Iraqi's deserve the same freedoms to choose that we have. Do they have to follow our way? No, not if they don't want to.

We have lost our way. We went into Afghanistan and Iraq for the best of reasons. To rid two countries of monsters. In the process, though, we somehow lost our direction, and in the process entered into a morass that is eating our countries best and brightest, and tormenting our countries soul.

This is not what we are. We brought freedom back to Europe during WWII, or helped anyway. This is what we do militarily, or its supposed to be.

The cause? Incompetant leadership? Some of it. A lack of will? Some of it. There is no one thing, its a multitude of sins, if you will. Somewhere in all this mess is the answer, George Bush is part of it, the Pentagon is part of it. We as citizens are part of it. Congress and its critters are part of it.

As I said, there is no one answer, there are several. I wish I knew the answers, but I don't. I do know we need to find them and very soon.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Is democracy worth a man's only begotten son? I don't know, but I would find it more democratic if a man would give himself instead of his son, where's the democracy in that?

PS: those scenes mixed with the scenes of the band playing are from Johnny Got His Gun, a movie from Dalton Trumbo based on a book by Dalton Trumbo.

And that is one of my favourite songs.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Democracy represents freedom of choice in who you choose to run a nations affairs. Not perfect, but as close as humans as a group are ever likely to come. So yes its worth giving an only begotton son for, or in my case a brother...doesn't mean I want to. If he were a draftee, I would feel differently, but he's not.

I wish he weren't going, god do I wish that...but it's his choice and I can do nothing but respect that. While he's over there I will pray daily, just like last time, for his and his compatriots, safe and sound return.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Seagull feel sorry for your bro. I know I dont want to die for people who dont respect the job that we swore to do for them but before my bud left for Iraq he said you didnt swear to protect just your family or town you swore to protect the nation. Now that I think about it its the only thing I say daily to prepare myself for what I know is ahead.

I find it odd that many people are all for something until someone they know is in the mix and could die things change fast. Everyone in this country is relying on the chance that someone is there to fight so they dont have to and in a way I wish service was mandatory so that people would truly understand the meaning of "FREEDOM ISNT FREE". If everyone had to give up two years of there lives to protect some complete stranger I think everyone would have a deeper respect for eachother and everyone would have something in common.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Yes, he did volunteer, and I have nothing but respect and admiration for him. Sometimes I think he's the man I wish I were, the rest of the time; he's my little brother.

Freedom isn't free, this is as true now with my brother going into harms way, as it was when my father, and my sisters all did. Or when none of my family were in harms way.

I'm allowed to be a little confused

top topics

join