It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frank Zappa apprecistion thread......fans?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
thats mine...
i edited that....

small internet eh?
i can not remember my password for the HungryFreakDaddy password though.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
check out the list of instruments that was recorded to be 'lumpy gravy', the sound collage'
--------

Frank Zappa – guitar, keyboards, vocals
All Nite John – chorus (John Kilgore, recording engineeer)
John Balkin – bass
Dick Barber – vocals
Arnold Belnick – strings
Harold Bemko – strings
Chuck Berghofer – bass
Jimmy Carl Black – percussion, drums, chorus
Jimmy Bond – bass
Bruce – chorus
Dennis Budimir – guitar
Frank Capp – drums
Donald Christlieb – woodwind
Gene Cipriano – woodwind
Vincent DeRosa – french horn
Joseph DiFiore – strings
Jesse Ehrlich – strings
Alan Estes – percussion, drums
Gene Estes – percussion
Louis "Louie The Turkey" Cuneo, chorus
Roy Estrada – bass, chorus
Larry Fanoga – vocals, chorus
Victor Feldman – percussion, drums
Bunk Gardner – woodwind
James Getzoff – strings
Gilly – chorus
Philip Goldberg – strings
John Guerin – drums
Jimmy "Senyah" Haynes – guitar
Harry Hyams – strings
J.K. – chorus
Jules Jacob – woodwind
Pete Jolly – piano, celeste, harpsichord
Ray Kelly – strings
Jerome Kessler – strings
Alexander Koltun – strings
Bernard Kundell – strings
William Kurasch – strings
Michael Lang – piano, celeste, harpsichord
Arthur Maebe – French horn
Leonard Malarsky – strings
Shelly Manne – drums
Lincoln Mayorga – piano, celeste, harpsichord
Euclid James "Motorhead" Sherwood – chorus
Ted Nash – woodwind
Richard Parissi – French horn
Don Preston – bass, keyboards
Pumpkin – chorus
Jerome Reisler – strings
Emil Richards – percussion
Tony Rizzi – guitar
Ronnie – chorus
John Rotella – percussion, woodwind
Joseph Saxon – strings
Ralph Schaeffer – strings
Leonard Selic – strings
Kenny Shroyer – trombone
Paul Smith – piano, celeste, harpsichord
Tommy Tedesco – guitar
Al Viola – guitar
Bob West – bass
Ronny Williams
Tibor Zelig – strings
Jimmy Zito – trumpet
----------------

just plain amazing to me...the fact that he had no formal training in music yet he was able to write all these fantastic pieces baffles me....

i mean to be able to write for all those instruments, then to record them, edit/mix them, etc....
he was 100% hands on the entire time....
a multi instrumentalist too.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
theres no way frank zappa was human,it is very apt to post this here!

got loads of his records from my fathers old vinyl collection downstairs, but no record player:bnghd:

whats more my brother has named his first born in honour of him,WOMBAT,seriously!!!

what the hell does moonunit mean?!

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

i don't know the specific meaning but she was born when people starting to catch on to transendental meditation..the name kinda fits with that..

it could have been worse. gail was pregnant when frank went on tour. he told her if it's a boy, name him motorhead. if it's a girl, name her moon.

so, he has in order from oldest to youngest.

moon unit zappa(dropped the unit a long time ago....so, she is moon zappa)
dweezil zappa. when he was born, the people at the hospital would not let them put dweezil on the birth certificate so frank had to come up with something so he named him 'ian donald calvin euclid zappa'(randem dudes in the band)...at about 6, dweezil got pised about it so frank got a lawyer and changed it to dweezil.
also, dweezil was named after his mothers pinky toe...she has a real tiny pinky toe that he called a dweezil.
ahmet emukah rhodan zappa.....he was named for ahmet rhodan, the record exec...frank felt he is one of the few that didn't want to screw him.

and last but not least, we have diva thin muffin zappa.
i don't know where the thin muffin came from but they called her diva cause she was the loudest baby at the nursery.

so, any other questions?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Zircon encrusted tweezers.. Dont leave home without them!

Frank Zappa has been a major inspiration for me ever since I first started listening to his music back in Highschool. The man was a pure musical genius, its a shame he had to leave us so soon

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
today has been 14 years since his death....

just shy of 53

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Solo from "Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch" (The Ritz, NYC-November 17, 1981)

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
THANK YOU for that vid hellmutt.
that one has slipped past me but i saved it now...

frank has said many times that the 81 band only got 'close' to playing that song correctly one time...

that is such a beautiful note.....

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
i had seen that one...dude just put his own little beginning on it.

check out this little collage...there are some fantsatic quotes towards the middle/end....FANTASTIC quotes

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Oh No + The Orange County Lumber Truck

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
A visionary, genius and, all around cool guy. He was the real deal.

We all liked him when we were growing up and would have a group of about 30 at his shows when he was in town.
He played in an old theater once and people were starting to get rowdy. He stopped playing and said "Look people, I play all over the place and there aren't many places like this left. -Don't ***k it up.) And everyone one listened! It was pretty cool. That time it was the 'Overnight Sensation' band -my favorite.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

This was Pittsburgh, in 1982 I believe, at the then Stanley Theater. I was probably one of your group of 30 Unforgettable show.i think this is the night he played 2 shows. I saw both.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Willie the Pimp (1969)

* Frank Zappa - guitar, octave bass, percussion
* Ian Underwood - piano, organus maximus, all clarinets, all saxes
* Captain Beefheart - vocal
* Sugar Cane Harris - violin
* John Guerin - drums
* Max Bennett - bass

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Hey anonymous , it's G and yup that's the one. I may have gotten the particular band/show mixed up, we seen him a bunch of times.
This is a cool site, you should join up. Now you're going to have me wondering who you are. I'd leave my e-mail but, you know..
Great to hear from a Rat!!! lol You made my day.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Hey, are you from Canonsburg PA by chance? We always had a gang of about 30 folks to go to shows. If you're not from there ,then what a coincidence. If so , how do we email privately? I'm new to this forum......

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I was wondering if this was going to happen but said naw, couldn't.

No, I'm from Natrona and I even remember a few friends that seen both shows. And I thought we were the only ones.

Natrona's right on the Allegheny river and we were called the River Rats by everyone around there. That's why I said it was great to hear from a Rat as we were pretty tight and went through a lot together.

It was still great to hear from another Pennsylvania FZ fan that was at the show. I'm in Oregon now.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Well I guess there were many active FZ fan pockets near Pittsburgh. As they say, great minds think alike Either way,we were in the same audience! I wonder if these "group pilgramiges" from certain areas were common at that time? BTW, an old friend who attended that show was invited backstage by Steve Vai (no, nothing spicy went on!) She was impressed by the atmosphere (said Frank got mad at somebody who lit up a joint), was treated as a lady, then was treated ta free cab ride home (about 18 miles) courtesy of Frank. She said it was 1st class all the way!

Wish we were from the same gang, but great to reminesce either way!

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This is really weird, a couple of girls from our town went back stage once. I knew one of them very well and it was about the same story. You aren't one of the psychics on here messin with my head are you?

Those guys really were musicians of the highest caliber, period. I don't think you can party much and accomplish that level of expertise.

Another one I forgot until I explained the River Rat thing is a girl threw a River Rat t-shirt onstage once and Frank picked it up and gave it that Frank look, sort of smiled and draped it over a stool for the audience to see for the rest of the show. We were damn proud of that.

I could tell a lot of stories about concerts down there. Not to hijack the thread but the midnight Three Stooges screenings could get insane! lol

It would have been cool to hang. We sure had a lot of fun back then.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Dont think i'm psychic, but as i aid, kindred souls think alike. i have another coll story about how me and a bud got into a sold out show (last FZ in the 'burgh, as I believe),But its a bit long and i dony typse so good dammit. When i get more time and energy, I'll write it up.
And......GO STEELERS

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join