It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[April 2007] Team Probes Lake Vostok

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Team probes buried Antarctic lake

Posted: April 3, 2007

Courtesy: Antarctic Sun

By Steven Profaizer

... Anandakrishnan and his team needed an extremely loud sound to make it down several kilometers to the lake and then echo back to the surface again, and so they turned to Pentaerythritol Tetranitrate (PETN) – one of the strongest known high explosives.
The team made 5-centimeter-wide holes 18 to 30 meters into the ice with a hot water drill that spits out 93-degree-Celsius water and lowered an explosive into each one.
Each of the approximately 100 charges was detonated one at a time and ranged in weight from a fifth of a kilogram to almost 5 kilograms.
“At the surface we don’t feel very much, but the sound travels down into the ice,” Anandakrishnan said.

...SNIP...

The reflected signals were recorded on the surface of the ice by 150 geophones, which operate much like microphones but record vibrations in the ice instead of in the air.
Anandakrishnan and his team are now back in the United States with the seismic records of their month in the field. It takes a lot of data processing to turn the EKG-like seismic graphs into a profile of the lake ...

Source: www.antarcticconnection.com... ke.shtml

Interesting. Lake Vostok is the site of the "anomalous structure" found a while back. For those of you that arent familiar, there was a non-natural structure discovered below Lake Vostok at a depth of about 2 miles. Not much news has surfaced about the anomaly since then.

So they should have some nice data of the lake once they get done compiling. I wonder if this was also supposed to help identify the structure below the ice as well as study the geology of the site. I mean, those scientists knew about the structure... certainly they will look for data on it back at the lab...

$.02

EDIT: Why did I post this in Space Exploration??
Somebody move this please. I'm an idiot.

[edit on 4/26/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Do you have a link to that info please?
This is line 2.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

Ok, I'm done Googling. Sorry I didn't format this any better. It's not really my style to throw up links without an excert... but it's late, and I am Le Tired.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Not releasing the images because of national security concerns. Ok, the Bush administration is known to see almost anything as a matter of national security but signing the antarctica treaty and speaking of national security regarding Antarctica doesn't fit together at all.
Somehow I think there is indeed some kind of military installation hidden under Antarctica, the only question seems to be who owns it. Huge Room for conspiracy here

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Interesting links, but the first one, the Atlantis Rising url, is part of the ad campaign for the book of that name. I'll read the other material as well, but I think seeing Hoagland come into it detracts from the veracity of the thread. Personally, I think there's some weirdness going on in Antarctica and has been for a while now...but it's also a fertile breeding ground for much of the same hooey we have come to experience in the UFO field.

So...careful you don't step in that, Wilbur...

x08

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Interesting... Antarctica and what's found there is not something you hear a lot about~ Doesn't the Cthulu cult (or whatever you wanna call it) give reference to the city of the ancient ones or somesuch being in Antarctica?

Is there any more detailed pictures of the area in question? The satellite image provided by the first link is too small.. I can't make out any details at all~ and GoogleEarth sucks for Antarctica

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Yeah its hard to find any good pics of that continent. Hardly any updated news or info either. Even though there is a worldwide scientific presence there. I have always suspected there was more going on down there than the public is allowed to know about.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The first link is self-sourcing and is therefore not credible, I haven't read the others entirely but initially they looked very promising.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
The first link is self-sourcing and is therefore not credible, I haven't read the others entirely but initially they looked very promising.

I wish I could find the Fox and CNN reports that came out back then. They've been swept under the rug since, and I have had trouble finding any material on the anomaly since.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I did read that it is entirely possible that the magnetic anomaly could be natural in origin, or do you have something else that specifically suggests that something artificial is down there?

[edit on 30-4-2007 by uberarcanist]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
uber, there were reports back then that a "anomalous structure was found 2 miles down under Lake Vostok". Thats what was mentioned on FOX. I am not entirely sure if the magnetic anomalies are a concurrent event, or something new. Man, I gotta find those news reports...

EDIT: Just visited the Site Search tool at Fox... not getting anything. I still think its odd thouggh that there are so many international scientific installations down there, but we rarely ever hear any news.

[edit on 4/30/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Well, personally, I'm a believer in Atlantis and many other non-mainstream theories so it personally wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Yeah i tend to think that way too. But about that structure thing I heard about... i remember they were briefly discussing how if it was non-natural, it was either the oldest man-made structure ever found, or a secret installation of some kind, which would be in violation of international laws. I think the first link i posted says that too, but I know I originally saw this on Fox. I just hate that I cant back that up.
Boo.

x08

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   
While we're on the topic.. was doing a bit of follow-up and came across this guy~
www.ralphrobertmoore.com... What a crack-up!

Back to serious stuff~

Here also seems a good site for information. I am also scouring it at the moment to see if I can find any information on this structure. No luck so far though, as a search for Vostok only comes back to this page~

usscar.tamu.edu...

also, here:
www.sciencepoles.org.../thermophilic_bacteria_lake_vostok&s=2&rs=home&uid=302&lg=en&pg=7

a nice article about 'seismic modelling' of Vostok www.cosis.net...

Still no mention of this structure to be found from a slightly more credible/official source~

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Good finds bud. I actually have a thread about the seismic modeling already. Hey thats this thread!! lol
just messin. That PDF looks like an interesting read. I'll print that off and put it in my bathroom (aka library)

I really wish there was more to be found on that story I saw. Wish someone else had seen it. If you can find something at all about it while doing your followup, that would be awesome.

[edit on 4/30/2007 by damajikninja]

x08

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Well the only 'latest' news that I have been able to find all seem to come from 2002-2004. No news from 06 or 07. Nor any mention of a structure apart from the link you gave (a very interesting read, Link 2)

They all seem to be talking about the bacteria too~

new topics

top topics

join