It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Minute Sex-Ed For Alabama School District

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   

7 Minute Sex-Ed For Alabama School District

www.nbc13.com

The city school board decided to re-write the lesson after some parents and a teacher complained the old lesson was too graphic.

The new lesson targets fifth graders only, not fourth and fifth graders like before.

It's a seven minute video that school board administrators describe as a health lesson, not a sex education class.

An advisory group of parents, teachers and administrators signed off on the video that teaches kids how to be healthy: to avoid drinking, drugs and sex.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
We already know that most parents are unwilling to properly educate their own children about sex, and half the time they don't want the schools to do it either.

How do you win this one ?

I love the last line of the story:

Schools plan to show the video at the end of May, just before school dismisses for the summer.

It reminds me of that "Duck and Cover" line from the 50's

www.nbc13.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26/4/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I saw a live sex show in Amsterdam and it lasted about that long and I learned all I ever needed to know....

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I know I got more information from my parents and older kids at school then any class taught by a teacher. When I went to school there wasn't much sex-ed being offered in the curriculum.

I remember a film in grade 7 that showed boys running and exercising, and then a bit about the importance of being clean and showering. That lead into a small bit about male anatomy and how it works, plus a little drawing about female genitals. I'm not sure how long the reel was, but grade 7 sex-ed was only about 1/2 an hour, and it was the gym teacher that ran the class during a PE period.

The girls had a separate class, and I have to say, our Coach looked pretty uncomfortable. He really didn't want to be doing this lesson.

After the film and a brief speech, he asked the class if we had any questions, and the whole class just sat there slacked-jawed and never said a word.
He sent us all out to run laps for the last 15 minutes of the period, and then we all had to go shower. It was the first time I ever had to get naked in front of 40 other guys, and the Coach yelled at us to wash properly.

That was back in 1973-1974, I sure hope things have changed since then.

I don't think we can depend on all parents to properly handle this topic with their kids, and it's important for the schools to play a role.

top topics

join