It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Handguns for CCW

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Thanks for your service, and stay safe out there (wherever "there" is)

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   
A glock 23 .40 is a great weapon.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PaddyInf

Because the g34 is my ccw, and I think that if you are going to carry a gun, you might as well have something that is better that the average of all handguns. IPSC race guns, are good for ccw. Keep in mind that if you get into a gunfight, you will likely be facing a rifle or a shotgun, so a good hi-cap auto will help you get away much better than a 5-shot .38 or .357. Also with the 34, you get 17 in the magizine, and it is easy to carry 4-5 extra magizines. That is a pretty good amount of firepower even if you face more than one threat.

If you think I'm crazy, go to an IDPA match, which is geared toward CCW and try it with a snub nose revolver, and then try it with a good auto, and see what the difference is, and if you feel like you suck with the snub, don't carry it. A .38 5 shooter with a 2" is worthless after about 15 yards. I can hit beer cans at 50 yards with the g34.

So I'm sticking with my suggestion, carry something that you can shoot accurately, and that has lots of power and or capacity.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
reply to post by PaddyInf

If you think I'm crazy, go to an IDPA match, which is geared toward CCW and try it with a snub nose revolver, and then try it with a good auto, and see what the difference is, and if you feel like you suck with the snub, don't carry it. A .38 5 shooter with a 2" is worthless after about 15 yards. I can hit beer cans at 50 yards with the g34.

So I'm sticking with my suggestion, carry something that you can shoot accurately, and that has lots of power and or capacity.

That's completely your choice. The G34 is a lovely weapon. However it was engineered as a match pistol that fits into the service pistol category in IPSC competitions. It was not designed to be used as a CCW weapon - It was designed to be the largest possible weapon that can shoot in this class. The G17 is a better choice, the G19 even better.

There is a difference between carrying a pistol concealed for a competition and carrying it day-to-day. Well done if you make it work for you. Unfortunately most people can't make it work for them. I know that I can shoot to a high degree of useable accuracy with any pistol that I have been trained with. I know of a part-time soldier in his 50s who fought off a 4-man IRA ASU (who were armed with AK47s and pistols) while armed with a Walther P5C and 2 mags (16rds in total). If he hadn't been carrying that day he would have been taken prisoner, tortured for information and executed. He used to have a Browning P35 but rarely carried it because of the size. He only started carrying a pistol when we started getting the P5C. I know that I certainly carried more when we changed to the P5C.

If you're going to choose a pistol for concealed carry, choose one you're going to carry. I'd rather have a G19 over a G34 simply because I know that there is more chance of it being on my belt when I need it.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
Keep in mind that if you get into a gunfight, you will likely be facing a rifle or a shotgun

I don't see any basis whatsoever for asserting that. I would say that a handgun or knife is more likely by several orders of magnitude.

A .38 5 shooter with a 2" is worthless after about 15 yards. I can hit beer cans at 50 yards with the g34.

Most self defence shootings occur at near contact distances, if you find yourself shooting someone at 50 yards distance, you will likely next find yourself in jail.

Your G34 is a fine weapon, but try shooting it from a coat pocket, or see how well it cycles if you have to physically stick it into the ribs of your opponent to shoot. For some, the contact distance element of CCW is more important than a large magazine capacity and long range accuracy.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This baby is what you want for carrying around with you. It uses the legendary .357 round. Its no 45, but its still capable of blowing right through a car door. Having this firepower in a small, lightweight, concealable weapon is supreme when it comes to self defense or everyday carry around gun. 9+1 round capacity cant be beat in a compact weapon. Glock makes another genius design.
www.ableammo.com...

Further, its a glock, so jamming wont be an issue. Glocks have a very reliable mechanism. The only downside is internal hammer. DO NOT DRY FIRE. I'm not sure on how you de-cock it. Oh well, its for shooting not de-cocking anyway right? Another thing you can look at is a bond arms derringer. The come in all diffrent calibers, .45 acp is what I would go for. Its a two barrel, compact pistol with a breach reloading mechanism. If your a good shot or only need 2 rounds at a time, go for this. Other wise, its that sexy glock!!
www.ableammo.com...

Don't buy from these sites, but a local store.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
i carry a h&k full framed .45 everywhere i go. its a little bulky but if i pull in out it just has respect written all over it!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I carry a Walther PPK 380. It's small enough to carry under a T-shirt and accurate as you could ever want. Out of the box, I could hit a quarter sized bulls eye every time at 10 yards. In Pennsylvania, self defense is limited to a pretty specific distance, if there isn't a small war going on. I also carry a Raven 25. I have a solid ball as the first shot and Glasser Safety Slugs for the rest of the clip in all my guns.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
yOU CAN GET IN THE SELF DEFENSE CARRY BUSINESS INEXPENSIVELY WITH A TAURUS .38 SPL 5 SHOT REVOLVER 2 1/2" BBL. LIGHT END EASY TO CONCEAL UNDER AN UNTUCKED SHIRT TAIL. THEN FOR LESS HOSPITABLE A TAURUS MELLINIUM PRO IN 40 CAL IS SWEET!
Both Ihave found both to be very reliable,accurate,and good guns. ( Taurus bought Smith Wessons Brazilian plant several years back and they are very much alike. I stake my families life on them

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join